Don't everybody bid at once, now!

#1 by Thomas Peters , Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:49 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Werbung: https://www.ebay.com/itm/126175357630?ha...ABk9SR_jRvfn5Yg

NOSFERATU

Well, it is a BIN, though.
1,000 US bananas? Even a monkey wouldn't buy it.
I bought a copy in Super 8 earlier this year, also a Blackhawk, for $150, which was a fair price, since I have seen these go for $200+. But not 1,000!
'nuff said.

The following contents have been linked to this post::

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
Date registered 08.30.2022
ThankYou 9

Last edited 11.14.2023 | Top

RE: Don't everybody bid at once, now!

#2 by Tom Photiou , Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:19 pm

Oh dear, 🤣🤣

Someone must think that have an antique to sell.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

RE: Don't everybody bid at once, now!

#3 by Thomas Peters , Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:07 pm

Well, the content is now 100 years old, so that's an antique. But the print itself is most likely around 50 years old.

I'm not sure if sellers know that something needs to be at least 100 years old to be called an antique.

This seller has over 2,000 listings, mostly comic books, so he probably knows nothing about film. The other surprising thing is that he doesn't accept offers for this. I'm tempted to contact him to tell him he's off his rocker.

When I bought NOSFERATU this year, it was the first time I had actually seen the movie, actually. I was disappointed, however, in Blackhawk's print. The picture quality was excellent, but it apparently is missing much from the beginning. I had to check it out on youtube to see what I missed. They cut out (or I should say the pre-print that Blackhawk used was missing) all the scenes that explained Harker's motivation for going to Nosferatu's castle. It starts with him already at the inn in what I suppose is Transylvania. It is never explained that he is a real-estate agent who works for Renfield, and that he will be selling a house to the vampire.

Also, this print uses the more familiar names, like Harker, Renfield, and Mina, rather than the bogus names used when originally released in an attempt not to be sued by Bram Stoker (or his estate), which supposedly happened anyway -- and most prints were destroyed. Luckily some survived and what we can see on disc or on youtube is more or less complete -- certainly more complete than Blackhawk's print. Thunderbird's print is said to contain most of what's missing from the Blackhawk.

In any case, prints keep turning up regularly on eBay, and some apparently are not from Blackhawk, as evidenced by the lack of a Blackhawk box, as well as the number of reels -- which is more footage than Blackhawk had. Also, Blackhawk released even shorter versions, but according to the old catalogs, they considered this one pretty much "complete." Even their introductory titles on the film itself does not mention that there are missing pieces. I suppose 50+ years ago it was not well known that more complete prints were available, or that anything was missing at all from the Blackhawk.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
Date registered 08.30.2022
ThankYou 9

Last edited 11.16.2023 | Top

Repairing a F1.1 for a Fumeo 9119
Star Wars feature, sold for 600 then 1200

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor