The advantage of Digital What If Jason and the Argonauts Had Smoother Stop-Motion

#1 by Tom Photiou , Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:18 pm

I'm sure others have seen this on youtube,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgCw0YRM...annel=CaptRobau

"While this all very clever and is good to see, I dont think the original feature film should ever be released like this, as one of the comments on youtube states, "The original bronze statue was intentionally made to have stilted animation in order to simulate metal having a tough time deforming in order to move. Ray even expressed his frustration with executives that couldn't understand this".
It is very clever how these things can be done, and there are several other examples on there, the originals have a charm of their own. The battle with the skeletons is still one of the best special effects sequences ever put to film, and to think it was all stop motion from 1963 really is amazing.

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Dave Baker and Paul Browning

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

RE: The advantage of Digital What If Jason and the Argonauts Had Smoother Stop-Motion

#2 by Paul Browning , Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:29 pm

I just looked at the clip on you tube tom, i'm i can't tell the difference between the two, CGI cobblers .........

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

RE: The advantage of Digital What If Jason and the Argonauts Had Smoother Stop-Motion

#3 by Dave Baker , Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:43 pm

I could see the difference , on most scenes .
CGI definitely takes away from the character of the figures .

If it ain't broke , don't fix it !!

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Paul Browning

Dave Baker
Date registered 12.25.2021
ThankYou 24

#4 by Tom Photiou , Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:50 pm

I can see quite a difference on Jason and the Argonauts but not so much on other films.
They dont know what to do next with CGI.
As I said, these films need to be left alone, they are classics and dont need to be interfered with.
I looks like Ray Harryhausen himself had differences with the film company regarding the movements of Talos, he got frustrated because they just didn't get the point that the jerky movement was meant to simulate metal having a tough time deforming in order to move. It definatly doesn't need smoothing out.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

BFCC return
Filmguard, not quite what we are told

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor