Another 48 Hours

#1 by Tom Photiou , Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:36 pm

Last evening we viewed my print of the excellent action packed Eddie Murphy / Nick Nolte movie, Another 48 hours. Reel two has some emulsion lines but each time I view it with intentions of selling, I change my mind. The sound on this print is is outstanding and the image pin sharpe.
These images have gone up out of order but you get the idea

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan, Eivind Mork and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

Last edited 02.02.2023 | Top

RE: Another 48 Hours

#2 by Thomas Peters , Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:17 am

I'm not sure if I ever saw this. I did see the original in the cinema when it was first released, and again on video tape.
TBH, I do not remember much about the original film other than the premise.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
Date registered 08.30.2022
ThankYou 9

#3 by Tom Photiou , Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:39 am

The original film which I also like, was 1982, this one was eight years later in 1990. Good old 80s/early 90s action comedy/ drama. Produced by Lawrence Gordon and directed by Walter Hill, and it is very much their trade mark type of film. Unfortunatly, reel two of this print had some green lines but there is so much action and laughs in this film I can live with it, reels 1 & 3 are fine, in fact reel three is like a new print. And with no crappy CGI effects the stunts and action are great.

Thomas Peters likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#4 by Thomas Peters , Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:05 am

I did some reading on both of these films. It seems the sequel was nowhere near as well-received by the critics or the public as the original, which was considered one of the best movies of 1982 at the time.

One thing I did recall was the "look" of the 1982 film when I first saw it in the theatre. I recall it being somewhat grainy, like it was shot in 16mm. On imdb it mentions they used a type of Kodak stock for interior scenes that didn't require much in the way of lighting, in order to save money. Perhaps that was what I noticed. I was a senior in high school at the time, but it still struck me, and is one of the few things I now recall about it. Now I'm questioning if I actually did rent it on VHS a few years after it was in the cinema. Maybe I only saw it once. Or perhaps I saw it again if my college screened it during one of their movie nights -- they used 16mm projectors for that. But I definietly saw it in 1982/early 1983 in the cinema.

I have personal "issues" now with re-watching films from the 80s. To many "memories" from an awkward period of life -- at least that's how I feel (high school/college.)

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

Last edited 02.05.2023 | Top

#5 by Tom Photiou , Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:29 pm

Thats sad to hear as some of the best action films were made in the 80s and 90s and unlike todays movies, they wernt full of CGI effects.

Regarding it's success (or not) With the help of wiki,
"This particular title did make more than its original but it was considered a box office disappointment because the film was so costly, profits were minimized. Eddie Murphy accused Paramount of not spending enough on advertising and changing the release date & Paramount counter-alleged that Murphy didn't spend enough time promoting the film. This led to tension in the long-running relationship between Murphy and Paramount".

Thomas Peters likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#6 by Thomas Peters , Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:27 pm

Quote: Tom Photiou wrote in post #5
Thats sad to hear as some of the best action films were made in the 80s and 90s and unlike todays movies, they wernt full of CGI effects.

Regarding it's success (or not) With the help of wiki,
"This particular title did make more than its original but it was considered a box office disappointment because the film was so costly, profits were minimized. Eddie Murphy accused Paramount of not spending enough on advertising and changing the release date & Paramount counter-alleged that Murphy didn't spend enough time promoting the film. This led to tension in the long-running relationship between Murphy and Paramount".

Yes, I read that wiki article.

Nothing terrible happened to me at that time, but still, movies made back then are so "80s" to me. There are a few exceptions I make -- like the Indiana Jones movies, and the BACK TO THE FUTURE Trilogy. It's mostly memories of the people I saw the movies with at the cinema -- people who I'd rather forget, lol.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

#7 by Tom Photiou , Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:03 pm

I know what you mean

Thomas Peters likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550