where does it come from ?

#1 by Paul Browning , Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:40 pm

With all the problems the hiccup has caused David Baker over the film striping /recording, i would love to know where the film paste is now purchased from ?. I know agfa still exist but i doubt it was from there, but looking at an old forum page on google, it was suggested it was after a search world wide, and the supplier agreed to supply an exact amount and to there specifications, but i'm damned if i can find them, perhaps they have a monopoly on that too...................

Dave Baker likes this
Dave Baker sais Thank You!
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

RE: where does it come from ?

#2 by Mark Mander , Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:43 pm

Are you referring to the Derann paste stripe Paul? Mark

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#3 by Paul Browning , Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:50 pm

Yes Mark, and more to the point, as to where its got from now for the new prints ..

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#4 by Mark Mander , Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:53 pm

I know Derann had great difficulty back in the day as I read it in one of the Film For The Collector mags so the answer could lie there for a source?? Mark

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

Last edited 06.05.2022 | Top

#5 by Paul Browning , Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:01 pm

Do you know what issue it was Mark ?, would be very interested in that article, although i'm not sure it would have any relevance today ......

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#6 by Maurice Leakey , Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:47 pm

Here is the Derann paste stripe article:-
Full Derann report. That Derann Stripe

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Eivind Mork
Paul Browning sais Thank You!
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#7 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:37 pm

This a subject that really does matter more than many realise. I keep reading about what people have done regarding re-striping and now, knowing the costs involved, i just hope for everyone's sake that we dont see peeling soundtracks like we did with Deranns.
As i understand it, the paste used in Italy is probably the best one seen so far, much better than Deranns, and the Jurassic Park release pretty much confirms this, along with the other new titles seen in the last year or so. Such a shame this hiccup came about.

Deranns clearly worked very hard, spent a lot of money and had to waste thousands of feet of feet of film before they could get it right, but even then, the films varied so much in the quality of sound. As well as that, i have said before, the one thing i worry about is what some of this new paste stripe does to sound heads. I know many will say it's fine but i know that some of Derann oxide paste is like lumpy custard under a good magnifying glass, this must have an abrasive effect as it passes through the heads. As has been explained to me before, they had to put so much glue in the mix to get it to stick to the film, many soundtracks suffered with hiss ,pops and bumps. The quality of sound varied a lot on some releases.

As to this thread, i'd like to know the answer to that as well. There cant be that much of business for it, i did try to find the thread which showed images of the process in Italy, the guy was wearing protective gear like a spaceman, for the sake of a few films i dont think i'd be putting my health at risk in that way, clearly the chemicals and waste product of this process is a very dangerous one.
Home striping kits are only good for just that, home use. Those were made for acetate stock so as todays films seem to be polyester then i guess that rules all those old machines out.
I know Dave is on the case and said he will make an announcement when it's finalised so i guess we will have to wait and see.
It's a shame that kodak joined the realms of a few other company's and didn't want anyone else to know their secret of the perfect and proven stripe they used. Dereck wanted to carry it on, kodak behaved like petulant kids, didn't want to continue with it, but equally, didn't want others to know their process in full.

It'll be interesting to know where it will all end, the problem i have with all of this is what i said before, it'll be some years before we know how good these stripes will be in terms of staying on the film long term.

I enquired about getting my Madagascar Penguins 230ft film sorted with a decent soundtrack. The Cost? Without the postage, £172.00, (60 Euros for removal, 60 for new 80 for re record)!!
The film cost me £35 to buy. Nuff said.

The following members like this: Paul Browning and Dave Baker
Dave Baker sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 06.05.2022 | Top

#8 by Eivind Mork , Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:44 pm

I made a comparison with my microscope. The one with WDHM is Pluto's Christmas Tree. The one from Derann is A Christmas Carol. Both from the leaders of the film, so it might have some extra wear. The "bubbles" you see on the Derann stripe is not evenly like that, but I think it is representative.

Tom Photiou likes this

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

Last edited 06.06.2022 | Top

#9 by Martin Dew , Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:48 pm

The only times I had peeling stripe was on new trailers purchased from Steve's Reel Image (which he always refunded without hesitation).

The trouble I have with a few Derann shorts is intermittent audio where levels dip in and out. I guess that must be one of the symptoms of bad stripe?

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#10 by Paul Browning , Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:49 pm

What is WDHM ??

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#11 by Tom Photiou , Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:57 pm

Walt Disney Home movies, (i hope it is otherwise im going like look a right div )

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#12 by Paul Browning , Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:01 pm

HA HA TOM, NO I'M THE DIV, DERRRRR .

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#13 by Tom Photiou , Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:15 pm

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#14 by Eivind Mork , Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:40 pm

Yes, it is Walt Disney Home Movies 🙂 It was a very long name for the text under the picture.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

Full Derann report. That Derann Stripe
Does anyone think this will be paid for?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor