Full Derann report. That Derann Stripe

#1 by Tom Photiou , Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:24 pm

Following on from my other thread, i have started this new one as i found the magazine with Dereck Simmons report on "That oxide stripe", please click on each page to read as i have uploaded the three pages in full size.
This is from FFTC number 17. A very interesting read and it does explain how Derann did actually save the super 8 industry as far as new releases were concerned. Enjoy,

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 09.19.2017 | Top

RE: Full Derann report. That Derann Stripe

#2 by Stuart Reid , Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:37 pm

Great read!

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Stuart Reid
Date registered 03.07.2016
ThankYou 37

Last edited 09.19.2017 | Top

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:02 pm

one of the most influential pieces I've ever read within this hobby. I loved reading it in the past and I loved reading it again this evening.

Thanks for posting it here Tom. Just brilliant!

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock

#4 by Alan Rik , Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:34 am

That was a great read. Thanks so much for posting that Tom as well as the Fumeo report.
I have never seen this article anywhere. Derek was a visionary as well as a perfectionist in this hobby. He and the staff of Derann elevated Super 8 to a new level and got me back into the hobby. First feature length print I ever purchased was "Beauty and the Beast". I was stunned at the picture quality. And the re-record is incredible sounding.
Thats Derann for you!

Stuart Reid likes this
Alan Rik  
Alan Rik
Date registered 11.15.2015
ThankYou 14

#5 by Philip Murat , Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:31 am

Thanks Tom !!!

This is excellent !!

Unfortunately, I rode first page, but when I select page 2, this is a picture Gallery which show up !!!

Could it be possible to get the pages as PDF files ?

Also, what is date for this news ?

Philip Murat  
Philip Murat
Date registered 09.08.2017
ThankYou 44

Last edited 09.20.2017 | Top

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:32 am

It was written as Tom says in FFTC 17, which was of course a fairly early edition.
Somewhere in mid 90's I'd guess without digging out all my editions to check exactly when.

Andrew Woodcock

#7 by Martin Dew , Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:33 am

Fantastic read. Thanks, Tom.

Tom Photiou likes this

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:36 am

The FFTC series had loads of informative articles just like these two gems here written in them.

These in themselves, really are a "must have" in terms of collectables for any Super 8mm package home movie enthusiast, whenever you see them surface.

Almost a diary of all the later releases from when the quality of prints really went through the roof on Super 8mm.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:39 am | Top

#9 by Philip Murat , Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:43 am

Thanks for information Andrew.

So, does that mean that DERANN prints produced from Mid 90's untill the End of business were Paste Stripped, or Paste-Stripped was a temporary solution just the time to find out Pre-laminated new material ?

Philip Murat  
Philip Murat
ThankYou 44

#10 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:00 pm

As I said earlier Phil, I don't even know if there is a definitive "switch over" point in time as Derek did acquire some huge inventory of what remaining pre laminated stocks were out there and he began investing in the future before it was actually needed.

Often in the mid period, it is a 50/50 chance as to what you get but this matters none to me. All CAN sound good or bad on any given day as per original recordings.
Don''t let any of it ever put you off buying, they can all be made good, even if the sound is low, dull or " hissy " to begin with!
Peeling stripe is extremely unlikely in any example you will ever be given.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:17 pm | Top

#11 by Tom Photiou , Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:56 pm

If anyone reads page one, then page two comes up with an error, hit the backpage then go back in and click on page 2 again, this should work. Thats what i had to do and it did seem to work ok.
Thankss for the kind comments. It is a good read, i had had almost forgotten it until the sunject came up.

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#12 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:03 pm

An Inspirational one too Tom, proving once again that it is only determination that stands between ourselves and our end goals, young or old.

Despite the "knockers" and kill joys of this world, let this script serve to inspire us all in our hobbies as well as our everyday lives.

Tom Photiou likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:37 pm | Top

#13 by Philip Murat , Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:15 pm

Hello,

How can I find document above mentionned "Mission Impossible" from Derann in "pdf" file ?

Also anything concerning Stripe application process is welcome (more particularly production machines)

Much thanks in advance.

Philippe

Philip Murat  
Philip Murat
ThankYou 44

#14 by Paul Browning , Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:44 pm

Hello Phil, Ged has recently uploaded a long article about this, and its an on going feature to his facebook page, mainly due to the hiccup of costing and what can and cannot be be done and by who recently. Sadly this may well hold up the new prints from David Baker, who has promised the forum members he is sorting it out, and to stay tuned folks !!!!!!. I hope that all involved
on both sides can come to an amiable conclusion and agree for the future new products, each relies on the other. Not sure what you want to know about this Phil, PM me if want ask off the forum. The machines that derann had were magnatec machines converted to accommodate super 8mm from 16mm and 35 mm machines. The paste "slurry" is a whole different story and the long and winding road to getting it right, and much money and film wasted to get there.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#15 by Tom Photiou , Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:41 pm

Even when it worked though, the high amount of glue used to keep it on the film often resulted in poorer sound quality to what we were use to in the past with the pre striped stock, it is evident on many releases, Die Hard for one, (depending on the year your print was made) and especially the xmas caper animated release, the hiss and bumps on the sound is not good.
I'm still convinced all films with the oxide sludge paste is bad in the long term for the projector heads.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#16 by Philip Murat , Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:39 am

Thanks Paul , Tom, for your answers.

Unfortunately, I have no "Facebook" account and have not planned to subscribe to.

So, If I have well understood, to sum up, it seems there is not enough competition between Striping services :
There are still some companies which have a perfect "savoir-faire" and knowledge concerning magnetic tapes production at a high level of quality.

The chalenge is to motivate them bringging all the informations necessary to accept the business.

40 years later, technics have enhanced a lot. I assume that associating modern processings to striping will improve cost and quality.
However there is a balance to find between necessary investments and Super 8 volume production expected.

Less expensive Striping process is, less expensive a super 8 print will be. ........ and more super 8 prints will be sold.
quality is essential as the copies must last 100 years !!!

I agree with Tom there is no futur for former "liquid" strip application process without incorporating substancial upgradings.
I assume Bonded Stripe application is a good alternative (Quality / Cost rate).
Sure sound is much better with bonded stripes and safer for magnetic heads at the end.

To follow......

Philip Murat  
Philip Murat
ThankYou 44

Last edited 06.14.2022 | Top

#17 by David Ollerearnshaw , Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:41 pm

Hope this works should be a pdf of those three images. [[File:Derann-report-That-Derann-Stripe.pdf]]

I still love the smell of film in the morning

Attachment:
Derann-report-That-Derann-Stripe.pdf

Paul Browning and Tom Photiou say Thank You!

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

Last edited 06.14.2022 | Top

#18 by Paul Browning , Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:50 pm

PERFECT DAVID THANK YOU ......

Tom Photiou likes this
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#19 by Philip Murat , Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:47 am

Many thanks David for the pdf "fusion" !!!

Philip Murat  
Philip Murat
ThankYou 44

#20 by Maurice Leakey , Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:46 pm

What was the date of Derek's article?
He says he refers to stock for printing, not camera stock.
I used pre-striped cartridges for my Bell & Howell sound camera for many years until Kodak discontinued them due to the chemicals involved being too dangerous to work with. Such a pity.
I have lots of sound films of my children, including a visit to Bristol Zoo (soon to be sold for house building). My children are now in their fifties.
Happy days.

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

Last edited 06.15.2022 | Top

fujica sh30 user manual in english
where does it come from ?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor