The Blues Brothers. A Unique 16mm Extended Version

#1 by Tom Photiou , Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:01 pm

Theatrical Cut (132 min.) Extended Edition (148 min.) 11 Deleted scenes (Original Directors cut 160 minutes).
As some of you may know, I purchased a 16mm print of this now cult movie in October last year. It was all a bit of a mess, all in the wrong order and with a missing reel turning up later. Since then I have been looking more into this film and the more I read and see, the more I really enjoy this movie. It’s become a little bit of an obsession with me now as the actual quality of this print is first class, it has a few base lines here and there which will be improved once I give it a final clean up, some very iffy splices which are now all fixed, the film is now in the correct running order and above all, thanks to an error on my behalf, this print contains a number of deleted scenes only found on the DVD/Blu ray special editions, none of the deleted scenes were ever in the full theatrical version so hopefully, my print is truly a one off. My error was that I didn’t tell the chap when I ordered the replacement footage which of the two versions to use on the blu ray so therefore, the timings were out, when I viewed my new footage I realised I had two deleted scenes included and fully intact, the disc went back so the footage I actually need, as well as a few more minutes can be printed. This will include what I now know to be a few substantial deleted scenes to be inserted to improve the theatrical print I have and be more what the director intended. Unfortunately, there are too many additional scenes to be able to have included them all, it would have made the extra footage as much as the film cost in the first place.

The scenes I have had made are the additional exterior and interior shots of the prison at the start. Two guards are on their way to get Jake. In front of his cell, they attempt to wake Jake up and the black inmate sleeping in the bed underneath Jake witnesses’ everything. Jake still does not wake up so the guards use their bats on the bars and then carefully on Jake's arm. But none of it helps so one of the guards gets rougher on Jake and one can hear from the off that he hit Jake's head.

Next additional scene added to my print is where we are at the factory that produces spray can glue which will become an issue later on. Elwood gets to the line and nods to a co-worker - this is the first and only time we gets to see Elwood without his glasses. He grabs two of the cans, puts them in his black briefcase gets out of there "conspicuously inconspicuous". Because he took two of the cans, he messed with the process and a lot of cans fall off the line. The co-worker does not seem to mind though and Elwood keeps making his way through the factory. In front of the office of his boss, he leaves the briefcase behind, enters the office and quits his job. His boss (Paul Butler) would like to know why.

Next deleted scene is where Jake and Elwood arrive at the church. They have a short discussion, before they go inside. Members of the community keep showing up and the two of them keep standing near the doors just looking dopey.

I did begin to think i had a TV version but, with the R rating at the very end it is clear to me that for whatever reason, the previous owner decided to clip out two cuss words, both short scenes being replaced by me for new and uncut, the only reason i have done this isn't because i want two words put back in, it's because the way they were removed appears to have been with a blunt pair of scissors. The damage to the film either side of the few frames was ridiculous, even tidying up with new splices it was obvious that it was cut, and poorly done. These were the only two parts i required along with a bit of the opening, but with rethinking, and wishing to make it a bit more special, this print will now be the full theatrical print with four added deleted scenes not seen before the digital release special additions.
The film is now mounted onto two 2200ft spools, (one full to the top), from what I can see I have room for one more deleted scene which I may add later. For now, this is a film with great repeatability, superb colours, and excellent sound.
When I have the final pieces I want to add I will do a full review, for now here are a few images of the extended opening scenes. I have used a different camera and they are not very good, but do give you an idea. The newly made print once again, fits perfect in colour, frame focus and sound.

The following members like this: Paul Browning, Mark Mander, Greg Perry and Don Cunningham

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 04.23.2022 | Top

RE: The Blues Brothers. A Unique 16mm Extended Version

#2 by Greg Perry , Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:06 am

Tom,

This is a great project to hear about your adding in additional scenes. Seems like a lot of work for you, but well worth it to get this print just right. It really is a classic comedy and with fantastic music. Carrie Fisher is a nice added character as a complete wacko.

I have not seen "Blues Brothers 2000" and will stick with the original.

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

RE: The Blues Brothers. A Unique 16mm Extended Version

#3 by Tom Photiou , Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:39 pm

Cheers Greg, i would have been more than happy to have made up the couple of minutes to put the print right, but the added scenes do really improve the film, reading about the deleted scenes, its the same old story, the director did not want to make the cuts, After one early screening, Wasserman demanded it be shortened, and 20 minutes were cut.

Reading about this film and its issues in both making it and releasing it i saw this, you can't believe the way the so called experts/professionals think about things like this, they certainly got this one completely wrong. Here is the quote from wiki,

"Prospects for a successful release did not look good. Aykroyd and Belushi had left SNL at the end of the previous season, reducing their bankability. John Belushi's fame had taken a further hit after the critical failure of Spielberg's film 1941 at the end of the year. One day after the editing was done, Lew Wasserman invited Landis up to his office to speak with Ted Mann, head of the Mann Theatres chain, which dominated film exhibition in the Western United States. He told Landis that he would not book the film at any theatres in predominantly white neighbourhoods, such as Westwood. Not only did Mann not want black patrons going there to see the film, but he also surmised that white viewers were unlikely to see a film featuring older black musical stars. Ultimately, the film got less than half the bookings nationwide for its initial release than a typical big-budget studio film of the era, which did not bode well for its success at the box office".

So much for the experts,

As for BB 2000, i cant say i have any interest in it, i have seen the trailer and it looks as though it was out to make money off the back of the original, i'm sure the music is fine as is the action, but putting the kid in there looks to me to have been a mistake.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 04.24.2022 | Top

Need to fix the belt on my Fumeo 9119
Film reels

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor