The Hallelujah Trail Scope low fade.

#1 by Tom Photiou , Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:29 pm

Tonight we viewed the first half, (reels one and two of four) of the 1965 spoof western The Hallelujah Trail. It is actually a very funny film and with a great cast too.
This particular print is a well used print with some lines and some splices throughout. I will add reels three and four next week but it will be a print i list on ebay only because a scope print of Paint your wagon came up along with another film i am after.
This is a cope print with fantastic colours throughout. I cant work out if it an IB tech print or simply a low fade reprint on Agfa/Fuji or LPP, wither way, the colours a stunning. It is such a shame about the lines but i have to say, i have seen, and paid good money) for films in much worse condition.
With the help of wiki, here is a short summary,

The Hallelujah Trail is a 1965 American Western mockumentary spoof directed by John Sturges, with top-billed stars Burt Lancaster, Lee Remick, Jim Hutton and Pamela Tiffin, Donald Pleasence and Martin Landau.
It was based on the book of the same title (originally released as "The Hallelujah Train") by Bill Guilick in 1963.
The film was one of several large-scale widescreen, long-form "epic" comedies produced in the 1960s, much like The Great Race and It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, combined with the epic grandeur of the Western genre. Its running time is 2 hours, 45 minutes. The film is part of a group, which were filmed in Ultra Panavision 70 and presented in selected theatre's via the oversized Super Cinerama process. Stuntman Bill Williams was killed on November 13, 1964 while performing a stunt involving a wagon going over a cliff. The scene was kept in the movie.
I have tried to take the images of the worst of the damage so hopefully you will agree, while it isn't the best, there's a hell of a lot worse out there.
This film had me laughing, its been a few years since i saw it and Burt Lancaster really does do comedy very well as does Martin Landau as the Indian, Walks stooped -over.

I will put up the rest of the reviews next week after we view the rest of the film.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork, Vidar Olavesen, Greg Perry and Gwyn Morgan

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

RE: The Hallelujah Trail Scope low fade.

#2 by Eivind Mork , Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:59 pm

Truly stunning colors on that print!

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#3 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:08 pm

Looks great

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 349

#4 by Tom Photiou , Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:23 am

It certainly does have superb colours, and equally, being scope looks excellent, it is a shame that there are scratches and splices throughout, but it also, where the film is average, it does make up for the flaws of the prints condition. Clearly, what some may call a well run print.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#5 by Gwyn Morgan , Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:52 pm

Looks very nice Tom even with its flaws,too nice to sell 😀.Can’t beat a good western especially when there’s humour in it.
Nice.👍

Tom Photiou likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 275

#6 by Greg Perry , Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:11 am

Tom,

It really looks pretty good--if those pics capture the worst of the wear. If the lines are brief and intermittent, and in particular off to one side, that usually doesn't bother me all that much.
If the line is a green one and is there most or all of the time that is when I find it really distracting.

I am sure you find a good home for this one.

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#7 by Tom Photiou , Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:54 am

It does look good in the cleaner parts, sadly it is the splices that hold it back from being an otherwise good print. Dont get me wrong though, it projects absolutely fine and i have to say, aside one or two splices that i have replaced, all the spices are very good indeed. On my Eiki NT1, the first two reels have not jolted the loop restorer once so thats very good and shows that the repairs are excellent. The giveaway is the jumps but these are merely a few words, not feet, it could easily be improved on and i am still deciding wether to hang onto it for a couple more shows, it is actually a very good film and very funny.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

Last edited 10.16.2021 | Top

#8 by Tom Photiou , Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:00 pm

Last night we viewed the remaining half of this very funny western, reels 3 and 4. As expected, the film has a fair amount of wear but with the colours as good as thiso ne it is actually quite a spectacular viewing, reel 3 does suffer with a fait amount of jump splices which show themselves around a quarter the way in, then its a little rough and ready for a round five minutes but project perfectly well, after this section it is just some wear and only the odd splice. Reel four also has the expected wear lines and a few splices but nothing like reel three. Again though, the image with these colours on the scope screen really does look fantastic. A very entertaining reel and in particular, Martin Landau as an Indian chief is brilliant, he says very little but his facial expressions and body actions are priceless. Defiantly a big screen film with superb photography. What i have done here is try try and show the worst of the lines, they come and go throughout, some scenes look rough and ready while others look quite stunning.

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and Paul Browning

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

The Flintstones, Royal Rubble.
The Hateful Eight / 2001: A Space Odyssey Trailers

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor