Ebay divorcing paypal. Will prices tumble?

#1 by Tom Photiou , Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:39 am

Has everyone who uses ebay seen the changes coming regarding paypal?
If im reading it all correctly i suspect they may lose a lot of users as many people are not happy with their plans due to more information being collected for payments which could result in your information being sold/passed to foreign companies.
You can uae paypal until June 2023 but then it changes to something much more sinister looking. Big companies want more and more information from people.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

RE: Ebay divorcing paypal. Will prices tumble?

#2 by Robert Crewdson , Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:01 pm

You should have the option to use Paypal. Without Ebay we would not own half the stuff we have, films or anything else, so I don't think it will affect them.

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#3 by Tom Photiou , Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:03 pm

Possibly,but reading a lot of various articles online theres a lot of people who will not be prepared to pass over any of their details to payment companies they have never heard of and also seem prepared to pass yourdetails onto other international companies.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#4 by Robert Crewdson , Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:25 pm

I was just reading a comment that said eventually you will have to have the money paid directly into your bank account. The poster was told by Ebay that if your sale is at a weekend your payment will not be processed until the Monday. Like everything else in the world today, things go from bad to worse.

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#5 by Greg Perry , Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:26 pm

Tom and Robert,

This is a bit confusing since ebay and PayPal have been so tightly linked over the years, and ebay had originally bought out PayPal way back when prior to later spinning them off again. It does seem like a move for even greater control over ebay buyers and sellers. One thing that will be lost if PayPal is eventually barred from use in ebay transactions is the "PayPal Buyer/Purchase Protection" plan. Although I am not a fan of PayPal (but I use it), at least there was another option for resolution of issues using PayPal rather than ebay itself. Once PayPal is gone from ebay, only ebay will be making decisions about issues and we all are aware of the nonsense that takes place there at times.

I am thinking ebay is drooling at being able to instantly get our money on a purchase, but will not be so quick to make payments to the sellers so as to grab a bit more interest payments along the way. Seems like they our cutting out the "middle man" (PayPal) for their own increased benefit, despite the BS ebay will spout about how this change makes things better for ebay buyers and sellers.

As others here have said, the consolidation of the end-to-end process to put it in the hands of one massive company will surely not benefit any of us individual ebay users.

Tom Photiou likes this

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#6 by Maurice Leakey , Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:34 pm

Will the eBay change only apply to sellers?
If so, what about buyers?

Maurice

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#7 by Tom Photiou , Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:27 pm

To be honest Maurice, as a seller, im not too happy because paypal is (at least for me) a trusted way to receive payment. I'm not 100% sure how ebay will work without the paypal partnership but i am defiantly not too keen to be giving any more of my details to foreign companies who will need my bank details. That wont be happening. However, i will await for more information to see exactly how it will all work out.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#8 by Maurice Leakey , Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:39 pm

Thank you, Tom.
I am sure you will keep us informed.

Maurice

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#9 by Tom Photiou , Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:19 pm

here's a little bit of news,
I had some news from a friend who has actually used the new ebay system for a period of time. without going into detail here, my friend did say you actually save 4% on every sale as you no longer pay paypal fees so it looks as though its a case of look into it much further.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

John Deere...Corporate film archive
Bell and Howell

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor