That Riviera Touch, Walton 400ft Colour Sound

#1 by Tom Photiou , Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:24 pm

One of the three Morecambe and Wise movies from the 1960s. This was the second of the duo's films released in 1966.
That Riviera Touch was among the 15 most popular films at the British box office in 1966 but this would have been due to the popularity of Morecambe & Wise from the TV rather than the the film being a great movie. As i understand it, all three were not given good reviews by the critics.
This 400ft release was one of Walton's later films and to date, i cant recall seeing it in any of their catalouges, perhaps someone can correct me on that.
This is a print we bought new and is essentially, the last reel from the full feature with just a couple of small cuts. Normally, Walton would put up a caption explaining the storyline of such releases but this one has a Walton made title of the film. The quality of the print is very good with pin sharp image and very good sound. The colour is still very good, (a lot better than these images show) but after 41 years there is a little fade which only really shows up during a short sequence in the tunnel during a car chase, there is a little hue in the background but apart from this, it still looks very good considering the age of this print. This is one we bought from a carousel of films at a branch of Dixons. The gags are a bit corny now but this duo are always a good viewing, ideally, their TV shows are still king of comedy today with a Christmas special still aired every year.
A good souvenir of one of Britain's best TV duo's.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Gwyn Morgan

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

RE: That Riviera Touch, Walton 400ft Colour Sound

#2 by Greg Perry , Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:24 am

It must be enjoyable to have some of the rarer titles like this one to add a bit more variety to the film viewing...Although I have heard the names before, I have never seen any of their work--will add it to the list of stuff to check into.

Robert Crewdson likes this

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#3 by Robert Crewdson , Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:02 am

I've only got these on disc; I don't think their films are bad. I especially like 'The Intelligence Men'. Eric Morecambe told a story of the time they appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show; they were unknown in America, and they were introduced as More, Cambe, and Wise. When they went on stage to be interviewed there were three chairs.

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

Last edited 04.08.2021 | Top

#4 by Eivind Mork , Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:14 am

Thanks for the review, Tom. It has now been added to S8D :-)

As for the catalogue: It was in Catalogue no. 29:

You can read it here in the forum:
g528p2285-file-page.html

Robert Crewdson likes this

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

Last edited 04.08.2021 | Top

#5 by David Skillern , Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:52 pm

Ive got this edit as well and it works well as a stand alone extract - at least Walton were sensible by releasing the last reel of the film rather than trying to edit the feature - although it would have been great to have a 4x400ft release. Greg - if youve never seen one of their memorable Christmas shows from the 1970's - nearly every british star - singer, actor etc considered it to be a great honour to appear with Eric Morecambe and Ernie Wise.

Greg Perry sais Thank You!
David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#6 by Tom Photiou , Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:12 pm

It does stand well on its own for sure. I think an edited version would have been to choppy. At the time we bought his i did write to Walton to ask if they had plans for any further extracts to be released, unfortunately, the reply was, "no plans for further reels".
The other M&W film we do have as a 4 x 400 is the Magnificent two. I do really like this title but while the quality is quite good, (the sound is really good on ours), it was only released as a b/w feature by collectors club. Later, they did release what was the first reel in colour as a stand alone extract which i believed to be of very good quality. The 4 x 400 version is an abridged version with around ten minutes being edited out for the 8mm release.
There must be a few IB tech prints of there films around on 16. The Magnificent two would be a good one if i could find one.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#7 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:54 pm

Morcambe and Wise,what to be said other than one of the best comedy duo’s ever.
Great film you have there Tom,I could watch them all day long.

Tom Photiou likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

Terminator 2 (T2) Full feature scope
Thats Dancing, Reels 1,2,4 & 5. Colour Sound LPP

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor