Lots of new Trailers

#1 by Tom Photiou , Tue May 26, 2020 10:08 pm

I know this isn't the review section but i thought i'd pop up some trailers i recieved today and a couple a few weeks ago, I dont think i need to fill up the review section with loads of individual trailers. If anyone would prefer me to do so please just let me know.
Babe, great colours and pin sharp image make this one a fun reel and a treat for the eyes. As with most trailers it is full of so many snippets you feel like you’ve watched the movie after, a shame this one was never released on super 8, it would have made a very good 600 footer, especially if the quality was like this. My children grew up with this film so it is full on fun memories.

Planet of the Apes, 1968 Scope. It’s good to have some footage of this classic movie on 8 that actually has excellent colours as it appears all the 200 foot reels have all faded. Adding scope to the image makes this a generous length classic trailer, again this one is almost like a mini cut down of the film and with good sharp image, and very good sound makes this one another top addition to our collection.

Inception, Scope. I actually have a superb 16mm copy of this trailer. It was sent to me as I forgot I was on a waiting list, while image is sharp this one has truly shown me how much superior image is on 16mm. I use the F1.0 lens on my own 1200HD so I know I don’t have a problem with equipment, but like most 8mm scope films, much of the contrast gets lost in scope. This trailer really opened my eyes to this tonight. Its identical content but it didn’t do it for me simply because I compare to the 16mm copy, also, there appears to be a line or two from the labs. The sound is excellent and in stereo with the image being sharp but a bit on the “milky” look as far as contrast is concerned.

The Dark Knight is another excellent trailer, contrast is ok on this one but again, I notice some lab lines which the average audience won’t spot. Unfortunately, I do, excellent stereo sound as well as a good sharp scope image makes for a fast paced action trailer.

Westside Story is a nice extra-long trailer in scope and being a Derann release, the image and colours are all very good. For anyone who can’t afford, (or doesn’t want to sit for well over two hours) the feature, then this is a great souvenir to the feature. We also have the two Derann extracts in scope to this movie which is basically some of the songs from the film. This trailer will make a great start to those reels.

It is difficult to get images from trailers as they move so quick but here is a selection of the better ones i managed.

The following members like this: Del Phillipson, Greg Perry, Eivind Mork and Gwyn Morgan

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

RE: Lots of new Trailers

#2 by Graham Sinden , Thu May 28, 2020 12:08 am

Nice post Tom,

The only trailer above that I have is Inception which I bought new from CHC a few years ago. I like this a lot but must admit I've yet to see it in scope, only flat and it looks superb but obviously in scope it will soften somewhat as 16mm is more suited to scope than Super 8. I have a Kowa 8Z but still haven't made a scope bracket for the projectors I use today although I have the ring holder and the Plastic I need to fix it too. A job for the summer. Anyway I imagine that 'Milky' look is because its a German Acetate print and most of these had slightly muted colours compared to the later Polyester prints and the Derann Polyester prints from film lab north. Its just something Ive accepted from the German labs on recent shorts I have. Its a good trailer Inception and Ive watched it many times. My copy is only in mono as all CHC films seem to be. Maybe yours came from Steve Osbourne as he supplies Stereo prints.

Would love to get that Planet of the Apes trailer, I will keep a look out.

Graham S

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

Last edited 05.28.2020 | Top

#3 by Tom Photiou , Fri May 29, 2020 8:19 pm

Hi Graham, yes ours came from Steve @ reel image. Thanks for the information regarding the colours being slightly muted, that makes perfect sense now. The Inception one isnt too bad, the Dark knight, (while very good) is almost b/w to look at. It's only the explosions that show any colour. I'm not sure if i would want to buy any more new releases at all if there going to look like these. Who knows what stock is being used and how long it will last?
The colours on the Captain America and true lies releases looks really good. Arnt these also from Germany?
Here is a good comparison, take a look at these screenshots for our 16mm inception trailer and compare it to the muted colours of the recent 8mm one. (scroll down a bit on the page as the first lot of images didn't load)

Lord of the Ring two Towers / Inception Scope trailers

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

Last edited 05.29.2020 | Top

#4 by Graham Sinden , Sat May 30, 2020 12:22 am

Thanks Tom,

I believe all new films today come from Germany as I don't know where any other lab is today capable of printing Super 8. Up until recently they still supplied Acetate but I think that most (if not all) new prints are now Polyester like the last release from CHC (was it Partly Cloudy). As for The Dark Night I've often wondered if this could be a printing fault or bad master material. The colours on my German releases (that I remember) are all good if a little muted. I have the Captain America trailer but that had peeling stripe for a short section, but colours were good.

Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

Cartoon Evening
Tugboat Mickey

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor