Bugles in the Afternoon.

#1 by Tom Photiou , Fri May 22, 2020 9:35 pm

Last night i watched our 16mm print of Bugles in the Afternoon.
A pretty good action Western which also includes the Custer's last stand.
This was one of those movies where certain names were blacked out in the titles due to accusations of being communists or communist spy's. All very odd!

As it happens, i had no idea that this film was shot in technicolour. This, like the super 8 and standard 8 is a b/w print. I only realised this when i checked on line. It is my Brothers movie and he convinced me it was shot in b/w. He got that wrong. On youtube the full colour film is on there and the titles are no longer blacked out.
I wonder what the chances are of finding a glorious technicolour print on 16mm would be?
For screenshots and a full review please click here,

Bugles in the Afternoon

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan, Eivind Mork and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

Last edited 05.22.2020 | Top

RE: Bugles in the Afternoon.

#2 by Gwyn Morgan , Fri May 22, 2020 10:06 pm

Just looked at your review Tom,looks a good film.How unusual that the credits are blacked out,did you buy the film in the uk or from the USA.I assume the print started out in the states,I wonder if the 35mm prints if shown in this country also had the blacked out sections.
I have never seen this before I wonder if anyone else has similar.

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 275

#3 by Tom Photiou , Fri May 22, 2020 10:32 pm

There were a number of movies like this. I think it was people dubbed the Hollywood blacklist. There was a section about this on an episode of Discovering Film which was the one about John Wayne. One of his own movies plays out the real life courtroom scene where people working in the film industry in the 40s/50s were believed to be a member of the communist party or a spy for them. Any movie with there name on the credits had it blacked out as in our titles. There a a few more within the same title sequence.
I assume our print is an original from the early days as the colour version on youtube doesn't have this blanking. The super and STD 8 prints also has the names barred.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#4 by Robert Crewdson , Sat May 23, 2020 10:43 am

I've seen a couple of B&W films on Ebay, where something was blacked out, and I wondered if it was anything to do with the Hollywood blacklist. This is one currently on sale, but when I checked what was blocked it was simply 'Filmed in Trucolor', which doesn't make sense, as I have a few B&W that say Technicolor.

Larry Adler played Harmonica on 'Genevieve' but for 50 years he got no credit on the American prints because he was blacklisted; finally he received the credit. Britain did well from the McCarthy witch hunt, we got Sam Wanamaker, who went on to rebuild Shakespeare's Globe Theatre, and Cy Endfield (Zulu and others) . When Charlie Chaplin came to London for the Premiere of his film 'Limelight' his American citizenship was taken away from him, and so he went to Switzerland.

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#5 by Bill Davis ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:51 pm

I had a chance once to pick up a Kodachrome print of BUGLES and passed - and always regretted it. They are out there but that's a hard title to come by.

Bill Davis

#6 by Tom Photiou , Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:57 pm

Bill that is rare. It would be nice to be able to get a colour print for my Brother.
I have to admit that until i watched this print i didnt realise the film was colour otherwise i would have passed the b/w feature on.

likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#7 by Bill Davis ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:28 am

Tom, That's a hard title to find even in B/W. I've wanted WESTERN UNION (Randolph Scott) for years in LPP or equal - now I will settle for a nice B/W print, better than not having it at all.

Bill Davis

#8 by Tom Photiou , Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:39 am

Thanks Bill, i know my Brother is very pleased to have this as a b/w. He often says at least it wont fade .

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

Last edited 09.22.2020 | Top

Dragonwyck
Cross of Iron

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor