Here's one for you....

#1 by Greg Perry , Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:46 pm

I am more amused by this and not complaining here since the ebay seller did share a pic beforehand which showed the film overflowing on an undersized reel with cardboard supports. Since the price was right I bought it. This is a Rankin-Bass Easter rabbit cartoon as I like to have a nice variety of holiday films to show the nieces/nephews.

Please note the pizza cutter indentations on the back side of the cardboard pizza circle (thankfully cheese and grease residue is away from the film).....
The nice thing was the print ended up to have low fade color, and on mylar, with only a few scratches at the head and tail of reel but otherwise very nice...

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Tim Duncan

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

RE: Here's one for you....

#2 by Tom Photiou , Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:29 pm

it would have been easier if the previous owner just bought the right size reel

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

#3 by Robert Crewdson , Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:47 pm

I had a film from the U.S. that was advertised as 2x1600 spools, when it arrived one spool was 1200 ft and overflowing. My concern was that the overflowing part could have cinch marks due to movement in transit, also the packing was very poor and the box was coming apart with the film visible. However, it all turned out OK.

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#4 by Greg Perry , Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:47 pm

Robert,

In addition to this pizza one. the last two films I ordered from overseas both had issues. The first film package came open and four of six short Super 8 films had been lost along the way. The next film purchase from another seller has been lost in transit and despite tracking with Hermes/Parcel2Go cannot find a trace of it, my money has been refunded at least on that onw....I had pretty good luck prior to these most recent issues. I think on this undersized spool the cardboard helped as it was fastened on both sides through the spool and was also in a plastic can so hopefully not too much shifting and movement....

Greg Perry
ThankYou 358

#5 by Robert Crewdson , Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:56 pm

People should pack better. My film was a particularly rare one. Getting a refund doesn't make up for the loss of a film. Apart from the one dealer, I've always had good service when buying films from the U.S. . Most of them have been professional dealers. Was the missing package sent via the Ebay Global Shipping Programme?. I find this very good; sometimes it's worrying when there is no movement for a few days, but I haven't had any problems apart from that one.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#6 by Tom Photiou , Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:38 pm

I dont understand how people cant seem to pack properly, It isn't difficult, the biggest problem with Hermes is they seem to have a lot of half wits working for them on the delivery side, and liars as well. I paid extra for a signature on at least three occasions in December, none of them were signed for by the customers, one was lost and one was recieved totally opened and with my packages, they are more than well wrapped.
When i recieved our Waterloo film from the states, the couriers here in the UK delivered it while i was at work, it wasn't signed for, indeed it was left under a bush in my front garden and it was raining all day, the assholes that delivered it didn't even put it in any kind of plastic bag which UPS or royal mail Do, it was pure luck that it wasn't damaged.
Half the problem is that in this country they opened up the postal service to what Thatcher use to call, "competition, it's good for the customer". Now you have cheap services which cant be bothered to get a signature half the time even when you pay the extra for the service, they leave parcels exposed to the weather or theft if its on view, thrown over the garden walls and you try and get hold of them when something goes wrong. It obviously starts with the seller, as in Greg's case, thats just plain daft on the senders behalf. Theres a few couriers here in the UK to avoid, TNT, Yodel, (utter tossers) and Hermes unless, its something thats not worth a lot. I will only use Royal mail for my films now unless they are under £20. My last loss was my copy of Saturday Night Fever, my first and last cine film to be used with those Hermes F****wits. Thats how strongly i feel about that company after talking to an ex employee who said they use part time or self employed people who use parcels as footballs in there warehouses. The last company that did that got caught out brilliantly and it was put out on a Panorama programme here in the UK. I just hope Hermes gets caught as well.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

#7 by Tim Duncan , Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:47 pm

My goodness! That's pathetic! I couldn't sell a film on the wrong size reel (and supplement it with used cardboard) to someone!

What did you get Greg? Is it "Here Comes Peter Cottontail?" (1971)? If you did, it is a GREAT Easter film for family viewing! I loved the Rankin/Bass stop-motion animated specials from my childhood! I have "The First Christmas" (1975). :-)

Tom Photiou likes this

Tim Duncan
Date registered 05.21.2018
ThankYou 39

#8 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:57 pm

Brilliant!!! You have to laugh!! Mark .

Tom Photiou likes this
Mark Mander

#9 by Robert Crewdson , Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:54 pm

Tom,
you appear to have been very unlucky with your couriers. Our Hermes deliver is very good, but there was an occasion when an Ebay seller sent a parcel not requiring a signature, and the Courier left it outside in the rain. It was a Saturday, I was at home. No one knocked, just propped it up by the wall and left I just happened to see him departing, and out of interest opened the door. Had the film got wet and damaged it would have to be returned. I think they should obtain a signature for all deliveries. Not just leave it outside. If it got damaged or stolen, they would say it was nothing to do with them, they have fulfilled their contract by delivering to the address on the label.

I haven't had any problems with Yodel; my last 4 or 5 Ebay purchases from the US all came by them. It's strange that after leaving Heathrow, it travels to Slough, about 1 hour from me I think, then goes north, then has to travel back south.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#10 by Greg Perry , Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:22 pm

#7 - Hi Tim, I sure wish it was the 1971 "Here Comes Peter Cottontail"! But it is from 1976, "The First Easter Rabbit", so it is not the classic stop-motion Rankin-Bass special but rather ordinary animation. Still, for kids it is enjoyable, and at $5.95 plus shipping, and with nice color it has a spot in the collection. I am also a big fan of the older holiday specials--the stop-motion ones--from childhood. Very nice that you have "The First Christmas". They are still playing these great family classics on network TV each Christmas season.

#5 - Robert, yes, I agree with you wholeheartedly that the refund is of little console when a rare and desired film is lost for good.

#6, #9 - Tom, interesting there are so many different delivery services in England. We have UPS, Fed Ex, US Postal Service--and on rare occasion DHL. There are other couriers for local business use, but nothing that connects to a mailed package like a film. Also, apparently the Hermes courier that services Robert's area has some pride in work/competency, but the guy that has Tom's service route is a complete buffoon...And Robert you are right, most of these couriers could care less how beat to sh*t a package is if they get it to your doorstep. I do worry about the rain soaking through and ruining a irreplaceable film, so far hasn't happened..knock wood.

Robert Crewdson likes this

Greg Perry
ThankYou 358

#11 by Robert Crewdson , Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:39 pm

Another deliver is DPD. I'm retired so more fortunate than some of you. If I know a parcel is expected I will be there to take it. I have noticed that American sellers are not sending out 16mm features in original boxes and cans. I'm having to make up my own boxes. I can't believe that some of these dealers who list 50 or more films don't have any in their original boxes, or boxes of any kind. Going a bit off track here Greg, but thought I would mention it as we are on the subject of packing.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#12 by Maurice Leakey , Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:56 pm

Here's the film for all to enjoy :-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJuECpnPgcg

Maurice

Greg Perry sais Thank You!
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey