Chisum Scope Colour low fade/ IB

#1 by Tom Photiou , Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:32 pm

Last nigh we at last viewed my Birthday present, A scope colour print of the John Wayne Western, Chisum, 1970.
Heres the funny thing here, when this film came up for sale i thought, ideal Christmas present for my Brother who is a huge Western fan, with John Wayne as his favourite western star.
I bought it and as it was in transit i slipped into a conversation with him that this title has come up for sale. What does he say? "yeah but not one of his best films".
As my own Birthday was approaching i decided to go for it myself and suggested everyone club together and get it for me, so they did.
I got the last laugh as my Brother loved it, and so did i. So he's shit out now, its in my collection & staying there
The print is glorious, beautiful bright colours and as always, a good sharp image with just a few minor flaws that i was made very aware of, and upon viewing it is ,(in my opinion) fantastic and the flaws are just simple things that dont bother me in the least.
Mounted on 3 x 1600ft spool, i am not 100% sure what the stock is as i understand this to be a British print, i cant say it's IB tech but it does have that green tinted leader and the colours on screen, as you can see, suggest it but who cares, its not faded or fading so thats all that counts.
A great host of stars and a lot of it is historically correct with the Billy the Kid and Pat Garret story in there.

With the help of wiki here is the story-line for those who may be interested.
John Chisum, a virtuous, patriarchal land baron, locks horns with greedy Lawrence Murphy, who will stop at nothing to get control of the trade and even the law in Lincoln County, New Mexico Territory.
Chisum is an aging rancher with an eventful past and a paternalistic nature towards his companions and community. Murphy, a malevolent land developer, plans to take control of the county for his own personal gain.
The story begins with Murphy's men tipping off Mexican rustlers who plan to steal Chisum's horses. Chisum and his sidekick James Pepper stop the bandits with help from a newcomer to the area, William H. Bonney, also known as "Billy the Kid". A notorious killer, Billy has been given a chance to reform by Chisum's philanthropic British neighbour, rancher Henry Tunstall. Billy also falls for Chisum's newly arrived niece, Sallie.
Murphy is buying up all the stores in town and using his monopoly to push up the prices. He appoints his own county sheriff and deputies. He also brings in a lawyer, Alexander McSween, whose principles lead him to switch sides and seek work with Chisum and Tunstall. The two ranchers set up their own bank and general store in town under McSween's control.
Chisum's land and cattle remain targets. Murphy's men attempt to steal Chisum's cattle before he can sell them to the United States Army. Chisum's ranch hands are warned by Pat Garrett, a passing buffalo hunter. Garrett agrees to help Chisum and soon befriends Bonney. Together they foil an attack by Murphy's men on the wagons bringing in provisions for the new store.
Fed up with Murphy's underhanded activities, rancher Henry Tunstall rides off to Santa Fe to seek the intervention of Territorial Gov. Sam Axtell. On the way, he is intercepted by Murphy's deputies, who falsely accuse him of cattle rustling and shoot him dead. Chisum and Garrett hunt down the deputies and bring them back to town for trial. Bonney, seeking revenge for the murder of his mentor and sceptical that the men will truly face justice in town, overpowers Garrett by surprise and shoots dead both deputies. Before corrupt Sheriff Brady can organise a posse, Billy rides into town and kills him, too.
Murphy appoints bounty hunter Dan Nodeen as the new sheriff, giving him orders to hunt down Bonney. Nodeen has a score to settle, as a previous encounter with Bonney has left him with a permanent limp.
Billy's plans for revenge are only just beginning. He breaks into McSween's store looking for dynamite to rob Murphy's bank. He is spotted by Nodeen, who surrounds the store with Murphy's men. McSween's wife is allowed to leave. McSween later comes out unarmed but Nodeen shoots him in cold blood.
Chisum is alerted by McSween's wife Sue, and rides into town with his ranch hands. The main street is blocked, so Chisum stampedes his cattle through the barricades. He tracks down Murphy and takes him on in a fist fight which ends with both men falling from a balcony. Murphy ends up impaled on steer horns. With his paymaster dead, Nodeen flees, with Billy in pursuit.
The film ends with Garrett taking over as sheriff. It is learned that famous U.S. Army General Lew Wallace has become governor of the territory. With law and order restored, Chisum can resume his iconic vigil over the Pecos valley.

The following members like this: David Ollerearnshaw, Del Phillipson and Gwyn Morgan
Del Phillipson sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 03.20.2020 | Top

RE: Chisum Scope Colour low fade/ IB

#2 by Robert Crewdson , Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:12 pm

Looks a super print.

Tom Photiou likes this

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#3 by Tom Photiou , Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:45 pm

Thanks Robeert. It certainly is and as always the film etakes on such a different look. This is another film i hadnt seen befo2re or wanted to see. Being a john wayne its going to be a winner.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#4 by Robert Crewdson , Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:04 pm

Copies like this, and especially Scope, don't come along very often, so you have to grab them, or maybe lose them forever. Certainly beats owing it on digital.

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Tom Photiou

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#5 by Greg Perry , Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:17 pm

Wow! What a really great looking film...Also, I enjoyed the write up on the story line of the movie--thanks for taking the time to put it together and share that....
Too bad for your brother, eh?

Robert Crewdson likes this
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#6 by Tom Photiou , Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:02 pm

100%. I was a bit surprised when he poo pooed it but now hes envious. We do share our collections though. We always say "our films".

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#7 by Eivind Mork , Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:06 pm

A gorgeous looking print! Congratulations!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#8 by Tom Photiou , Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:10 pm

Thanks Eivind. Now all i need to find on ib tech scope is the searchers.
Although these images are good they are far from the colours you see on screen.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 03.20.2020 | Top

#9 by Gwyn Morgan , Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:36 pm

Very nice Tom,you and me both and others looking for The Searchers.You can’t beat a good JW western,like a fool I sold Rio Bravo but got compensation with The Commencheros.
Very Nice.📽📽

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Robert Crewdson

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#10 by Robert Crewdson , Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:35 pm

On the subject of John Wayne movies, anyone here like 'North to Alaska'. Apart from the great song from Johnny Horton, it's worth watching for Ernie Kovacks.

Tom Photiou likes this

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#11 by Del Phillipson , Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:15 pm

What a fantastic review and print Tom, you have some reel gems in your collection.

Del Phillipson
Date registered 07.18.2017
ThankYou 137

#12 by Tom Photiou , Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:07 pm

Thank you Del and Robert,
I am very pleased with it, again though this film has been on the TV many times, i have never recorded it nor have i wanted to put myself to watch it, but get a cine print and it suddenly one i want and enjoyed. Especially in scope, it makes a huge difference.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#13 by Robert Crewdson , Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:04 pm

How right you are Tom; having it on film seems to make it more interesting than watching it on DVD. Sometimes I have watched the same print 3 times in a week, and know each actor's line.

Tom Photiou likes this

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

Bullitt. IB Tech Print
Cromwell 1970, Agfa print. 4 x 1600ft Flat version

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor