Another 48 hours. Theatrical Print.

#1 by Tom Photiou , Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:36 pm

I wouldn't normally take a chance on a 16mm film with a 100 quid tag without at least seeing some screenshots. On this particular film i did just that as i missed out on the original 48 hours so this was a good second choice for an 80s/90s action movie. (and it was described as "good used condition", )
Being a 1990 movie i knew there wouldn't be any problems with fade as it was going to be printed on Polyester LPP stock, which it is. The quality of the image, colour and sound is first class, pin sharp with stunning colours and first class sound. Thankfully it is a theatrical print and Not a TV print. If it had been a TV version it would be straight back on ebay as i cant stand censored movies.
I gave the film the usual light clean up with filmguard and loaded up,
reel one. Great print and with one light scratch to the right that comes and goes. A couple of splices at the start but both very well done with no jumps. The whole reel went well with just a few little marks here and there plus the one pain in the ass light scratch to the right which dances left and right a bit and also comes and goes throughout the reel until the last 200 foot or so
Reel two, this is the reel that really annoyed me, this reel throughout has some green emulsion lines across the image, some parts are not too bad while others are just plain annoying.A reel bummer, who the hell does this to a film?
Reel 3, this one could have just come straight from the printers, its pretty much perfect, just the slightest suggestion of a line during the last couple of minuets, but virtually unscathed.
All three reels ,(aside the lines) dont have any other damage, all perforations are fine and the image is rock steady all the way.
Here are some of the images i took, i have put up some from each of the three reels while trying to ensure i show the worst of the lines on reel two. There not hard to spot!!!!

So if you had purchased this would you call this a keeper? I dont mind the odd line these days as long as colours arnt fading, however, theirs lines and there lines! Black base lines are generally tolerable and can be hidden with cleaners but these are not something i would generally put up with. If i could find a good reel two then this movie would pretty much be a very good print.
As you know, 16mm films are generally well used but i just dont get how this sort of thing can happen so much on just one out of three reels.

The following members like this: Del Phillipson, David Alligan, Vidar Olavesen and Gwyn Morgan

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 07.08.2019 | Top

RE: Another 48 hours. Theatrical Print.

#2 by Eivind Mork , Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:58 pm

I am probably the wrong person to ask as I have many films with artifacts and red color. But green lines can be more frustrating than both faded color and black lines in my opinion. And I see it is in the middle. It would have been far better at the side.

I guess it is also depending on many parameters: Would you be able to get another copy? Is this film title important to you? Would you be able to enjoy it at all or just thinking about the "green line". I guess that the limit for "too many" emulsion lines is very personal in general.

Personally I would have put up with the line as it is not through the whole film. But it is all down to if we enjoy watching it or not, I guess.

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#3 by Paul Barker , Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:45 am

myself. well i gave up collecting colour prints for two reasons. red prints and LPP prints with the dreaded green scratches. they stand out so much i end up watching the scratches and not the film. so i only collect B/W prints of features. with B/W i can tolerate any scratches more easily. for some reason they seem more acceptable. i am probably biased here though because i have always loved B/W films. especially british made. as it has been stated it really depends on how much you like the film and if you can tolerate the green lines. it bothers some more than others.

The following members like this: David Alligan and Tom Photiou
Paul Barker  
Paul Barker
Date registered 12.01.2015
ThankYou 45

#4 by Del Phillipson , Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:56 am

The best advice from me Tom is it's ok till you see a better print, better than no print at all, love both 48 & another 48 hours.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and David Alligan

Del Phillipson
Date registered 07.18.2017
ThankYou 137

#5 by Maurice Leakey , Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:04 am

For £100, you can't complain.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and David Alligan
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#6 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:27 pm

I do not mind the stripe that much, worst I get is splicey, with dialogue or scene jumps. Love Nick Nolte and Walter Hill, wouldn’t mind a print of both 48 Hours myself

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#7 by Greg Perry , Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:13 pm

Tom,

I would probably lean toward what Del suggested: Keep it till you can find a better one. The downside to this is it could take some time to find another, and then you have to spring for the cost of that next one too prior to selling off the other. At that point if the two prints matched up well you could select the best three reels from the bunch. Sad though to see those harsh green lines. Personally, I find the green lines very distracting--particularly when they come and go across the screen image vs. a constant green line on one side or the other--which I can ignore a bit more easily.

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#8 by Gwyn Morgan , Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:50 pm

Tom ,
The bottom line here is I think,if you like the film and i certainly do,keep and possibly get a good reel two.One may turn up and for £100 you did good as they say.
These days you got to go with what is out there and if you like what you see and can afford it go buy it.I know some will shout at this next comment but as long as I have the actual film all be it with some fault ,I can also get a copy on the silver disc.Like one of my latest purchases I now have the original L.P. soundtrack,2 copies on VHS. 2 copies on DVD and my now pride and joy a 16mm copy.Yes its madness and long may it continue.
Sometimes its about having the "physical"film you can touch."Bonkers"
Looks like a fair good print so I say keep.
Now as to your post regarding the new sign uppers to the site ,theres not much more to be said is there I trust Vidar /Admins will advise regarding the latest signings.

Looking for Reel1 “SERPICO”

Tom Photiou likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#9 by Tom Photiou , Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:09 pm

Thank you for your many replies all. I take each reply with thanks.
I do love the film, it's that classic 80s/early 90s action nonsense and Nick Nolte is great in this and the first movie.
I will hold onto it and hope another reel two or full feature comes along. Aside the reel two problem it is a good print. The quality is outstanding and the music on the soundtrack has the clearest, yet thumping bass i have yet heard on any of my films. Thankfully it is a theatrical print with the American R certificate after the end titles.
As Paul said, while some people can look past the lines, i find myself watching them, thankfully by reel 3 you have forgotten about them but i shall see what the rest of the family think when they view it with me and from then on i shall see where we go with it. Cost wise, this film will result in the sale of a film or two from the 8mm collection and i will be moving on one of my Minder Episodes with the most fade.
I do appreciate all your replies and it is nice to see a thread get some these days.
Winters will soon be here so it'l be dusting down time again for many. For us it is all year round. Great stuff.

Del Phillipson likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 07.09.2019 | Top

#10 by Don Cunningham , Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:57 pm

The green emulsion line on the center of the frame would irritate me if it was there for a while. Now, if it was a film I enjoyed, I'd keep it. I am not particularly picky on print quality when it comes to a movie I enjoy. UNLESS it was ridden with VS.

Don Cunningham
Date registered 02.13.2018
home: Texas
ThankYou 33

#11 by David Alligan , Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:09 am

I think I have to agree with the comments that if you like the film then their is no choice to be made but I can see Tom that their might be a bit of uncompftable watch with the green lines but im sure in time you would just ignore them but still a very good print nether the less

Tom Photiou likes this
David Alligan  
David Alligan
Date registered 07.11.2016
home: Felixstowe, Suffolk, UK
ThankYou 45

#12 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:37 pm

I personally think £100 is quite a lot for something that annoys you whilst viewing it, I'd be disappointed with the film with all those green scratches as it is so distracting, it would be one to sell or give away, it's such a visual hobby that I wouldn't just buy a print for the sake of it and then have to stare at lines all over the screen, not pleasurable at all,Mark

Mark Mander

#13 by Tom Photiou , Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:01 pm

Mark, yes this is how i was thinking at the start. It is a film i wanted and liked but as you say, for less than a fiver i could have bought both the original and this one and blown it up on the DVD projector but i went with the film as this is my hobby. BUT, as soon as reel two opens with these green lines no one can help but look at them for most of the reel, it is distracting. If it were one to the far right of left you can normally live with it but the title is very hard to find so i will view it a few more times and probably move it on. I want to see how my Brother and Wife react to them tomorrow night when i will be giving it my first audience viewing. I have an idea what they will say.
Again though, i have to say it was sold by a collector who said it was "in good used condition" so a little disappointing.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#14 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:38 pm

I've got to be honest Tom but I'm surprised you firstly haven't returned it as it's clearly not a good used print,I'd say as reel 2 is so bad it's probably from another print ??

Obviously it's up to you what you do but I'm sure buying 16mm prints was about buying quality not quantity, I'm pretty sure your brother and his wife will have something to say about the condition of this film and to be fair we both know why, the point when they spit the popcorn out is normally a good indication!!!

£100 is not a bargain for it but a £100 disappointment and it should be something you want to show off not something you wince at. I appreciate it's a film you like and was really looking forward to projecting but all enjoyment was lost on that second reel,Mark

Tom Photiou likes this
Mark Mander

#15 by Tom Photiou , Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:35 am

Mark, you are correct in what you say there and as an update i am curruntly talking to the seller regarding returning the print for a refund. I put reel 2 on last night to take a dininitive look and the lines are simply too much for me to enjoy this otherwise excellent film. What a pisser!!

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#16 by Tom Photiou , Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:35 pm

Well, tonight i gave it an official viewing to both my Brother of my Wife. Before i started i warned of the lines on reel two, reel one done, they both loved it, action packed, great quality and the sound on this print really is something else. Reel two went on and i watched for there reactions. As per the images, the lines you see is as bad as it gets, after reel 2 i expected them to say get shot but they both looked at one another and then the Mrs laughed and said, "is that it? I was expecting millions of lines all over the place", and Brother said "with this much action and booming sound the lines are nothing to worry about". Well, i didn't expect that so i was quite pleased. Reel 3, this one is like a new print so the previous reel is quickly forgotten by the audience and i think if i join this onto 2 x 2000ft reels later on then this will help soften the viewing further. All in all it is a great action movie so for now it looks like a keeper. I am much calmer tonight

As Dell said, better this print than no print at all, and Elvind mentioned that it is restricted to one reel, had it have been all three than there would no question, it would not have been able to be viewed.

And finally, to be fair to the seller he is being very polite, he replies very quickly to my queries and we are negotiating a partial refund as he said he was not aware of the lines on the second reel.
I will of course be more careful in future but now will only be looking for just a couple more films to complete my collection of 16. Overall, collecting 16 has been a very good experience for me and it's one of the best decisions of my 40 years of collecting.
I've been bitten with 8mm a hell of a lot more than the 16s.

Everyone's replies on this thread has been much appreciated. Thank you all.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#17 by Tom Photiou , Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:35 pm

sorry, double posted

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 07.11.2019 | Top

#18 by Eivind Mork , Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:46 pm

Often I find myself in a different mode the second time I watch a film. The first time I am in analyze mode where I constantly are evaluating my purchase. The next time I tend to just enjoy it more as I don't think to much about it :-) I hope you will enjoy your film the next time you watch it.

Greg Perry likes this

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#19 by Tom Photiou , Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:59 pm

Thats exactly it Elvind. I think thats why after my small audience viewed it with me tonight and both really enjoyed it as i did i was put as ease. I am extra fussy though as im sure many collectirs are.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

All This and WW2 2 x 2000ft Colour & B/W
Beau Geste (1939 Gary Cooper/Ray Milland)

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor