Kama Sutra Rides Again. Derann 200ft colour LPP print.

#1 by Tom Photiou , Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:02 pm

Well, this is quite a funny short and an Academy Award winner for best short,(Animation), from Bob Godfrey? This was the first British Cartoon short to win an Academy Award back in 1976. It tells the story of Stanley and Ethel.
At the start of this cartoon they are sat on a sofa, both in the nude, Ethel does her knitting while Stanley explains how many people live "ordinary, dull, boring, grey, monotonous dreary, uninteresting lives". He goes onto say that variety is the spice of life, such as his exotic variety of pets and that Ethel has her driving lessons and he also dabbles in oils, Stanley also explains how they like to visit there cottage in the Gobi Dessert for the first two weeks of July.
Then Stanley tells the audience that where they enjoy the most variety is in there Love making, his eyes roll around and round. He shows us a few comical pages of the "usual" positions, The couple then go onto show us demonstrations of there favourites in a very comical set of demo's , first is La Bruette, (loosely translated as the Wheel Barrow), then theirs "La bicyclete", this is followed by "Tarzan", & then "La escaletter", to be performed going up a descending escalator, next is "Standing up in hammock " which they find entirely unsatisfactory, next is "les patinars", not to be practised on ice until you are fully confident, For homes with "La ramp, or Banisters" Stanley says a little appetiser is always welcome. Next is one for those who like the dramatics, he calls this one "La guillotine", Next is one for fresh air fans called, La Para", also Les nautique,nautique ski, The next one Stanley introduces us to is for the use of modern technology, "la machine, a tapier which he describes as rather droll. Visually, this is one of the funnier moments of this short. This is followed by Ethel's favourite, the stapler. This is all followed by the big one, and is done as Stanley quotes "without the aid of neither safety net nor contraception". This one ends up with Ethel in Hospital, as Stanley stands at the bottom of here bed he looks at the traction cables and gives a little tug, looks at the camera and says,, mmm, now that gives me an idea", to which he is chased out of the hospital with The End flowing in.
The quality of this print is outstanding, this one is on LPP poly with pin sharp image and excellent sound. It opens with the BFCC AA classification. There isn't a mark on this print.

Looking for, Joe Kidd / The Outlaw Josey Wales on 16mm. Good prints only.

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Del Phillipson and Gwyn Morgan

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

RE: Kama Sutra Rides Again. Derann 200ft colour LPP print.

#2 by Greg Perry , Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:33 pm

Tom,
This sounds very amusing/funny! Obviously, could only be shown to appropriate audiences who wouldn't be offended by a naked cartoon couple!
I am amazed that it won an Academy Award given the subject mattter--but congrats to Bob Godfrey on that! I think I have heard of other Godfrey cartoons on some of the various lists....be interesting to know what other titles and if Derann or other distributor issued them etc.

Thanks for posting such a detailed and enlightening review and pics!

Del Phillipson likes this

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#3 by Tom Photiou , Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:49 pm

Thanks Greg, Although i said it won an Academy award, i may need to just clarify that this is indeed an error, it should state, that is was Nominated for an Academy Award, apologies to all who read this.
Defiantly one for the right audiences, the AA certificate was for audiences over 14 years.
This is a fact i didn't know though,
Kama Sutra Rides Again (1971) was selected by Stanley Kubrick for screening with the UK release of his film A Clockwork Orange. Godfrey noted "Everyone working in films knew Kubrick only ever phoned you to give you a bollocking, so when I realised he was calling to do me a favour I nearly dropped the phone.

As far as i remember the other ones that Derann released were Dream Doll, Bio Woman, Henry 9 till 5 and Instant Sex. All 200ft colour sound. This is the only one i have seen myself.

Looking for, Joe Kidd / The Outlaw Josey Wales on 16mm. Good prints only.

Del Phillipson likes this
Greg Perry sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

#4 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:31 pm

I remember these when they first came out. Sure it was another distributor that released them originally. Dune possibly. Hire them D. C. Hurst? library.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

Tom Photiou likes this
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

Jurassic Park - Digest Review
Last Train From Gunhill 5 x 400ft colour feature

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor