My First Full year in 16mm

#1 by Tom Photiou , Tue May 22, 2018 10:14 pm

I know its not even half way though the year yet must last May to the end of this May marks 1 full year after our first major 16mm purchase of Kidnapped. What a great year we have had and with so much luck, so ive decided to share with you all what we have now added to our wonderful 16mm collection,
Bugles in the Afternoon. B/W
Cromwell. AGFA
Cross Of Iron. AGFA
Dances with wolves LPP
Hannie Caulder. AGFA
Jagged Edge. LPP
Kidnapped
Madigan U8 800ft Short version
Minder. TV episode, waiting for Goddard LPP
Minder TV episode Bury my half a Waltham Green
Minder TV episode The smaller they are.
Minder TV Episode. The Bengal Tiger
No way Out LPP
Pork Chop Hill B/W
Robin Hood Prince of Thieves LPP
The Professionals. The Rack. 1978 AGFA
The Professionals. When the heat cools off. AGFA
Blue Thunder. AGFA
Waterloo. AGFA
Witness AGFA

What a superb year it has been, all i wish to add to the collection now is the K Costner version of The untouchables, as it stands now with the few we already have i am happy with our little collection. If every 12 months could be like this last 12 i will be one happy bunny, BUT, there does come a time when one has to curb it and concentrate on other matters. (Like the bank account), this has been like a compulsion but all of these titles are great titles to us and are ilms i never thought we could own. It is dangerous to keep looking.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson, Tim Duncan, Douglas Warren, Greg Perry and Mats Abelli

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

RE: My First Full year in 16mm

#2 by Dave Guest , Tue May 22, 2018 10:28 pm

wait till you go to blackpool you will get bargains galore

The following members like this: Tim Duncan, Tom Photiou, Greg Perry and Mats Abelli

Dave Guest
Date registered 09.28.2015
home: lancashire
ThankYou 69

#3 by Eivind Mork , Tue May 22, 2018 10:29 pm

You have gotten quite a few in just a year! Way more than I did my first 16mm year :-)

The untouchables is great! I used to have it on VHS :-) Would have loved to have it on film!

16mm is a great format, although it takes up space :-) You should see under my bed...

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson, Tim Duncan and Tom Photiou

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#4 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Tue May 22, 2018 10:30 pm

Show off!!! Well done Tom,your enthusiasm for 16mm is great,you have some nice titles there,keep going and finding new ones is always nice,who needs money in the bank after all,ha ha,Mark

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Tim Duncan
Mark Mander

#5 by Tom Photiou , Tue May 22, 2018 11:06 pm

Well Mark, they do say you cant take it with you.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Tim Duncan

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#6 by Tim Duncan , Wed May 23, 2018 12:37 am

Collecting (and searching for) 16mm films is addictive! You never know what you may find in the gauge. I've located stuff that I never knew existed. :-)

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, Eivind Mork and Robert Crewdson

Tim Duncan
Date registered 05.21.2018
ThankYou 39

#7 by Robert Crewdson , Wed May 23, 2018 12:41 am

Agree with all that Tom; getting hold of titles you could only dream of owning; titles that never were available in Super 8. It's easy to get carried away though, because there are so many good films out there. I know you originally set your limit at 30 features, but I would be very surprised if you don't go over the limit; something will come along that you just have to have, and you will worry about storage space once you have received it. What a great hobby. Absolutely love my 16mm features, a guage I always wanted, but never thought I would own.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Tim Duncan

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#8 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Wed May 23, 2018 1:09 am

When I first got into 16mm I think I was well over 50 prints in the first year,film fairs were full of decent prints for next to nothing, it didn't take long to get a decent sized collection, my super 8 wasn't touched for months as I was totally taken in with the new gauge, I appreciated every print due to the quality of the image, it's easy to get carried away in this hobby but buy carefully and choose wisely and it can be very rewarding,not talking cash here just screen enjoyment,Mark

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Tom Photiou
Mark Mander

#9 by Robert Crewdson , Wed May 23, 2018 9:54 am

Same here Mark; my Super 8 rarely gets an outing since I got into 16mm. I have quite a lot of shorts, and around 49 or 50 features, but I have reached my limit now with the two I recently bought.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#10 by Bill Phelps , Wed May 23, 2018 10:32 am

You have a nice collection there Tom! Your copy of MADIGAN digest on 16mm from U8 is beautiful. (Looking at your screenshots from the MADIGAN posts) Most of the 16mm U8 prints I've seen are red. I have the U8 digest of THE BIRDS on super8 and 16mm....the S8 has great color but the 16mm is red. That's nice that you are seeking out top condition prints for your collection. I have tons of 16mm and it takes up space quickly but at first I collected anything/any condition so I have a fair amount of worn and faded prints.

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Douglas Warren and Robert Crewdson
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Bill Phelps
Date registered 05.22.2018
home: Massillon Ohio USA
ThankYou 54

#11 by Maurice Leakey , Wed May 23, 2018 12:03 pm

Just had a quick look at my 16mm Universal 800' of THE BIRDS. It's a 1977 print on Kodak SP. It's not really faded but has that typical look that SP prints go to, with a brownish tinge.

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Robert Crewdson and Bill Phelps
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#12 by Bill Phelps , Wed May 23, 2018 12:19 pm

I would like to find a nice copy of the U8 BIRDS digest...sounds like they are out there.

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Douglas Warren

Bill Phelps
Date registered 05.22.2018
home: Massillon Ohio USA
ThankYou 54

#13 by Tom Photiou , Wed May 23, 2018 9:43 pm

Thank you all, yes i have been very lucky so far, a couple of the Minders i have do have a degree of fade but the actual condition of the prints is very good with little or no marks, one of them, Waiting for Goddard is a stunning print. Reviewed on this forum. As is the Professionals, i never set out to collect 16s, we got very close to getting shot of the last bits we had. It was only that i got a little tired of 8mm films being recieved damage or faded, or both. It seemed like throwing money down the drain to the extent, (as some of you may remember), we came close to selling all things cine and going 100% to blu ray projection. Obviously i am glad it was only a mad moment.
Then came the chance of one of our favourite movies, Kidnapped, being available full length on 16 and in scope. I had to do it, again, reviewed on here, the rest is history, (all be it only a years worth )
I have to say, a lot of thanks for help and information must go to many of you out there for films, hints, tips and information, , Robert, Bill Parsons, Dave Guest, Maurice, Greg, Andrew, Hugh Scott, Gwyn,Stuart, Kevin Clark, Nigel, Vidar, Dave Skillern, Del, the list goes on, but everyone of you has helped me in one way or another. Cheers. (hope i havnt left anyone out,let me know if i have).

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Stuart Reid and Douglas Warren

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

Last edited 05.23.2018 | Top

#14 by Robert Crewdson , Wed May 23, 2018 10:06 pm

Thanks Tom; said this before, but you have done amazingly well in the space of one year. Glad you decided against selling up. You must be thrilled to bits to be getting 'Die Hard' after all this time.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Douglas Warren

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#15 by Tom Photiou , Wed May 23, 2018 10:13 pm

I most certainly am, again, thanks to a fellow collector, great stuff, this is where forums do come into there own. In the early days of forums i have to admit i was not a big fan, but they do bring collectors together, you get so much help from people, i am guessing that there are at least 20 films i would not have if i wasn't a member on here, (and to be fair, the other channel), and i most definatly would not have any 16s had i not been a forum member. Without sounding over the top, sensible forums where real names are used and rules are in place can definatly be invaluable.

I have seen other forums, (nothing to do with films or cine) where anything goes, it was disgraceful and unbelievable. Not for me. This and the other one are the only two i use. Apart from that, there is also real life to get on with.

The following members like this: Bill Phelps, Greg Perry, Douglas Warren and Robert Crewdson

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#16 by Robert Crewdson , Wed May 23, 2018 10:24 pm

Very pleased for you Tom, I hope it matches the condition of the others you have been fortunate to get.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

Old and new 16mm film processing laboratory
Collecting Television Shows

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 3
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor