Darn image shudder on the NT1

#1 by Tom Photiou , Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Tonight we put a feature through, 90+ went perfect, but i cant help notice a very slight image shudder now and again. Brother thinks i am being too fussy well,,, yes i am.

I know these NT1's can be fussy, especially as they are only two claw projectors, but the film was jagged edge which went through so perfectly the first time i put it through. I notice with this particular machine that the films do need to be given a clean up before a first showing when purchased. Having said that, i do not expect to, (and wont), clean films every time i want to watch one.
We are currently keeping an eye out for a good slimline slot loader Elf to use as an everyday machine, a reliable one thats in good nik. Until i find one i am going to swop the aperture & gate at the weekend. On these its dead easy but i will put it up here over the weekend as and when i do it and report back. The annoying thing with this is that the tiniest amount of cleaner on the film will stop this shudder but i know the film is clean, lubricated and in first class condition so it must be the minutest of adjustments somewhere. I have read and studied the service manual so many times but just cant get that last little bit sorted.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

RE: Darn image shudder on the NT1

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:26 pm

Are they all like this though Tom, based on the fact they have only two claws? Who else owns one to confirm one way or another?

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Gwyn Morgan does not like this!
Andrew Woodcock

#3 by Tom Photiou , Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:47 pm

no its definatly a fault somewhere Andy, these are one of the most common 16mm machines out there, generally they are rock steady.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:52 pm

Do the claws hit the centre of the sprocket holes both vertically and laterally on penetration Tom?

Andrew Woodcock

#5 by Iman Yahya , Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:43 pm

Sounds like I’ll have some fun (and maybe some nervous sweating) tomorrow night test running my new NT1

Iman Yahya  
Iman Yahya
Date registered 03.28.2017
ThankYou 4

#6 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:44 pm

Tom, do you remember recently, I had a problem with dirt in the gate, and it made all my films run noisily and jumpy. Have you cleaned this area, and maybe added a bit of lubricant Is the film noisier than usual?

Robert Crewdson

#7 by Tom Photiou , Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:48 pm

Hello Robert, yes i did recall that thread and this was the first thing i checked, and all nice and clean.
Andy, yep the claw appears to be hitting the film fine, as it happens this problem seems to occur from cold, as things get warm it steadies out.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:01 am

Loops both steady and consistent Tom? Cold and after warming?

Is there a difference between the projectors behaviours between Acetate and Polyester film?

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:04 am | Top

#9 by Tom Photiou , Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:27 pm

Loops all good. I will try a couple of diffeent films later over the weekend.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#10 by Maurice Leakey , Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:53 pm

How are the two gate tension springs? Two claws would not affect shudder, although three claw projectors are more suitable for projecting films with slight perforation damage.

Tom Photiou likes this
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#11 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:55 pm

Some need 10 claws by the sounds of it Maurice! 😂

I must admit, I'm not keen on single claw machines even for Super 8mm use though. Two are much much better.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:56 pm | Top

#12 by Tom Photiou , Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:00 pm

Maurice, i think the springs were pretty much stretched to give them more tension. These,(as you know), have a longer spring at the bottom to give extra tension where the film exits and forms the loop, mine are in the correct places. i believe a few people make the mistake of putting these the wrong way around as they dont realise the lower one is slightly longer.

I really want two new ones but cant find any. i thought there was loads of spares around for these.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

Last edited 04.27.2018 | Top

#13 by Maurice Leakey , Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:25 am

Tom
The last time I bought gate springs for the Elf I got them from Tony Reypert at Buckingham Film Services.

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
ThankYou 221

#14 by Tom Photiou , Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:09 pm

Are they still going Maurice?

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#15 by Maurice Leakey , Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:30 pm

Sort of. Give Tony a ring.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
ThankYou 221

#16 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:11 pm

Is that a part of the gate assembly that can often need changing out on 16mm projectors?
I don't believe I have ever found or felt the need to change any of these springs out for new on any super 8mm projector I have ever owned or used.

Typically it is one of those kind of parts fitted to a machine where you'd find it difficult to imagine why a need to change would ever prove necessary unless perhaps a piece of the springs has become broken or fitted incorrectly from previous maintenance activities.
Of course this isn't the case in Tom's case during his ownership of this machine as he is fully aware how the springs should be correctly fitted.

Claw springs etc of course, you can fully understand, but those offering just light pressure to the edge of the film to keep it up to an abutment datum edge, it is difficult for me to imagine what could fail unless I am understanding Maurice's description incorrectly?

The pressure plate compression springs would seem far more likely to my mind, to require revisiting over time.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:20 pm | Top

#17 by Maurice Leakey , Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:25 pm

The Elf projectors are probably older than most Super 8 projectors and will have had a lot of use, schools, etc. The two gate springs (top and bottom) do not last forever, some owners increase gate pressure by slightly expanding the springs. But, in due course, the best answer is a new set.

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
ThankYou 221

#18 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:48 pm

Thanks Maurice!

So just how old are these projectors now?
What years were they manufactured between?

Andrew Woodcock

#19 by Maurice Leakey , Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:52 pm

See my new topic for details.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
ThankYou 221

Eiki/Elf Production Years