Where Eagles Dare. 2 x 600ft Colour sound

#1 by Tom Photiou , Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:19 pm

This is a great release on the super 8 gauge, not only is the film full of action but MGM actually did a 1st class edit here with the aid of fades and dissolves. If every 3 x 400ft version on 8mm was edited as well as this one, (and the wild geese) we would be happy to stick with them instead of full features. Unfortunately, as we all know, some were editing disasters.
Anyway, as for this version, i will need to point out that our copy was purchased many years ago from the cine library here in Plymouth. All there films were being sold off dirt cheap as the company was closing down. The shop was in King Street, i wonder if Gwyn will remember this one? They were all well run prints so this one along with the wild geese were being sold off for £15 each, (4 x 400s were going for £20), so we knew there would be lines /scratched on them. As you will see part three suffered the worst with a pain in the neck green line. On the up side the colours have held up pretty good on this one, but to date we still continue to search out a decent replacement copy. A good IB Tech scope 16mm would be superb but highly unlikely.
Here is the plot edited to this excellent all action version,
A team of seven Allied commandos, led by British Major John Smith of the Grenadier Guards (Richard Burton) and U.S. Army Ranger Lieutenant Morris Schaffer (Clint Eastwood), is briefed by Colonel Turner (Patrick Wymark) and Admiral Rolland (Michael Hordern) of MI6. Disguised as German troops, they are to parachute in, enter the castle, and rescue General Carnaby before the Germans can interrogate him. After their German Ju-52 transport drops them in Germany, Smith secretly meets Mary Ellison (Mary Ure) and Heidi Schmidt (Ingrid Pitt), their presence known only to him; Heidi arranges for Mary to be a maid at the castle.
Smith continues the operation, keeping Schaffer as a close ally. The commandos surrender themselves to the Germans; Smith and Schaffer (being officers) are separated from the other three operatives, Thomas (William Squire), Berkeley (Peter Barkworth), and Christiansen (Donald Houston). Smith and Schaffer quickly kill their captors, blow up a supply depot, and prepare an escape route for use at the end of their mission. They reach the castle by riding on the roof of a cable car, and climb inside when Mary lowers a rope.
German General Rosemeyer (Ferdy Mayne) and Standartenführer Kramer (Anton Diffring) are interrogating Carnaby when the three new prisoners arrive; all three identify themselves as German double agents. Smith and Schaffer intrude, weapons drawn, but Smith forces Schaffer to disarm. He identifies himself as Sturmbannführer Johann Schmidt of the SD of the SS intelligence branch. As proof, he discreetly shows the name of Germany's top agent in Britain to Kramer, who silently affirms it. He now reveals that "General Carnaby" is an impostor, a lookalike U.S. corporal named Cartwright Jones, further claiming that the other prisoners are British impostors. To test them, he proposes that they write down the names of their fellow agents in Britain, to be compared to his own list in his pocket. After the three finish their lists, Smith and Schaffer re-secure the room; the former reveals that he was bluffing and the lists were the mission's true objective. I will add, the colours are actually a lot better than the images show here,
Sturmbannführer (Major) von Hapen (Derren Nesbitt), a Gestapo officer, happens upon the scene of Carnaby's interrogation just as Smith finishes his explanation. Von Hapen puts everyone under arrest but is distracted when Mary arrives. Schaffer seizes the opportunity to kill von Hapen and the other German officers with his silenced pistol. The group then makes its escape, taking the three agents as prisoners. Schaffer sets explosives to create diversions around the castle, while Smith leads the group to the radio room where he informs Rolland of their success. From there they head to the cable car station, sacrificing Thomas as a decoy. Berkeley and Christiansen break free and attempt their own escape in a cable car; both are thwarted and killed by Smith. The group eventually reunites with Heidi on the ground, boarding a captured bus they had prepared earlier as an escape vehicle. With enemy troops in hot pursuit, they battle their way on to an airfield and escape via their Ju-52 transport, where Turner has been waiting.
Once on there plane and in the air Schaffer half-jokingly asks Smith to keep his next mission "an all-British operation".

Die Hard / Silence of the Lambs. 8 or 16 anyone?

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

RE: Where Eagles Dare. 2 x 600ft Colour sound

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:32 pm

Not too many battle scars for an ex rental print Tom and good colour still.
A great film to own of yet another classic sought after title of yours and for what you paid, you simply cannot go wrong.

Excellent review once again Tom.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Del Phillipson likes this
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:33 pm | Top

#3 by Gwyn Morgan , Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:00 pm

Got me on that one Tom,I can’t remember a cini shop in King Street,must have been some while ago.
Like the film though this is one that I would like to have on 16mm,but the only copy I saw had turned,I’m sure there must be a decent one out there.Have got the original poster and the soundtrack on an original LP,music by another Plymouth lad Ron Goodwin who did a lot of memorable film soundtracks.
Great write up don’t know how you have the time Tom,keep it up👍👍📽📽

Del Phillipson likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 275

#4 by Tom Photiou , Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:11 pm

thanks Gwyn, the shop was a bit of an oddball. Roger sold his business briefly to a guy called Brian, i cant recall his surname but it was very short lived, he put the business to the wall, Roger Lilly was quite angry about it all and did tell us that he had no right to sell the films at all. soon after a very nice chap called Colin Lambert took on a small cine business, he had a shop in Peverell and then for a short while the Barbarian before this failed and Roger relaunched Movieland International.

The following members like this: Del Phillipson and Gwyn Morgan
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:11 pm

Let's just be glad Tom always does find the time somehow for his excellent reviews here.

I am certain they are appreciated by all who get to read them here.
Well done once again Tom and keep them coming please whenever you can.

The following members like this: Martin Dew and Del Phillipson
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:16 pm | Top

#6 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:01 am

Great write up there Tom. Colours still decent on that print; probably much better than the screenshots. Although I have this on VHS and DVD, I never miss it when it's shown on TV. It's one of those films that you never tire of seeing; there is so much going on in that film. A real classic. Great performances from all involved.

Robert Crewdson

#7 by Tom Photiou , Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:07 am

Thanks Robert, it is one of those movies that never dates, if it was re-released in the cinema i would definatly go and see it.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#8 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:49 am

It would be nice to see some of the older film re-released; but would prefer to watch it on real film.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Del Phillipson
Robert Crewdson

#9 by Douglas Warren , Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:57 am

One of my favorite war films! My family and I saw this at a drive-in movie in 1969. I hope to find a good copy of this digest one day. Great review of a classic film Tom.

The following members like this: Del Phillipson and Greg Perry

Douglas Warren
Date registered 01.24.2018
home: West Chester, Ohio
ThankYou 40

#10 by Del Phillipson , Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:05 am

Fantastic review Tom of a fantastic film, probably my most watched 3 x 400' film ever, it is brilliantly edited to capture nearly all of the main scenes.

Martin Dew likes this

Del Phillipson
Date registered 07.18.2017
ThankYou 137

#11 by Martin Dew , Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:13 pm

I think on balance it's my favourite film of all time. I have 3 1/2 (!) copies of the 3 x 400. I'm a Where Eagles Dare hoarder.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, Greg Perry and Del Phillipson

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

Last edited 03.28.2018 | Top

#12 by Tom Photiou , Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:27 pm

It is a great classic, plenty of action and great stars.
What are your copies like Martin? Where there any on low fade stock to your knowledge?

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#13 by Martin Dew , Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:47 pm

I bought a new shrink wrap copy last week which has excellent colours, but I don't think it's low fade because I can see traces of crimson in the blacks. My others are in various states of fade. Do low fade copies exist?

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#14 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:28 pm

I wouldn't have thought so Martin based on when these were released.
I suppose you just never really know for sure though.

Andrew Woodcock

#15 by David Ollerearnshaw , Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:30 pm

I have this one on most formats but 35mm I have the 3x400ft and the feature in 16mm not watched for a while on film though must get round to viewing it.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Del Phillipson

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#16 by Tom Photiou , Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:27 pm

David, if you watch your 16mm copy please do let us know what its like, is it by chance scope?

Martin Dew likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#17 by David Ollerearnshaw , Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:06 pm

Sadly its a flat version I think a TV print. I also have Kelly's Heroes in scope on 16mm its khaki coloured.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#18 by Tom Photiou , Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:47 pm

Blimy David, that is a shame, we would love Kelly's Herero's in scope but it would be pricey i reckon to get a good one.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

When Worlds Collide 3 x 400 version. (on 1 x 800ft spool)
Who Dares Wins. 600ft Version

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor