Horror of Dracula (1958; aka Dracula)

#1 by Don Cunningham , Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:22 pm

The color period for Gothic horrors started with Hammer Films' 1957 "Curse of Frankenstein" featuring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. The film may have nauseated critics but the returns were well enough that Hammer wanted to follow up with another Gothic monster, Count Dracula. Returning to director duties was Terence Fisher, James Bernard would compose the score, and Jack Asher was photographer. Peter Cushing turned to the side of good by portraying Van Helsing. Christopher Lee stepped forth to play Dracula.

Dracula has been portrayed in many movies by several actors. Lee is among the most recognized along with Bela Lugosi. Lee brought the vampire more than "sex appeal," he gave the creature an animal ferocity, that with the added Technicolor blood, must have been shocking and exciting to viewers in 1958. Peter Cushing's Van Helsing makes for a worthwhile adversary in that he is still studying vampires and is by no means an expert. He does carry knowledge, enough to track Dracula for what is once of the most memorable endings in horror history.

This 35mm print is missing the original distributor logo and begins directly with the fade up on the credit sequence and ends with the final frame of the end credits. Color (not a Technicolor print) is strong throughout; a few instances throughout the first and third reels have scenes go a tad darker; another source seems to have been spliced in at these moments, however the color is still very good. The sound is even and strong with James Bernard's score heavily pronouncing DRA-CU_LA! What is amazing is that all the elements of this movie can still give me goosebumps (not for scares, but excitement) especially during the climatic final scene.

Not having a 35mm projector, I was able to partner with a local cinema to have a showing. They went out of the way and made it very special. Despite having tickets available for only two weeks, it was almost a sell-out crowd. Keeping film alive is important and I am happy to have been a part of it while sharing one of my favorite films. I recently acquired a Technicolor 16mm print of Horror of Dracula which I hope to view soon and see how it compares to this 35mm print. One final note about the 35mm print, it contains the full staking of Lucy which the print that Warner Bros. has for showings, does not.

Don Cunningham
Date registered 02.13.2018
home: Texas
ThankYou 33

RE: Horror of Dracula (1958; aka Dracula)

#2 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:08 pm

Colour looks very good. Thank you for a well researched and very interesting post.

Del Phillipson likes this
Don Cunningham sais Thank You!
Robert Crewdson

#3 by Tom Photiou , Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:48 pm

That is one stunning print, it's nice to these 35mm print reviews to, thanks

Die Hard / Silence of the Lambs. 8 or 16 anyone?

The following members like this: Del Phillipson and Don Cunningham

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#4 by Del Phillipson , Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:59 pm

Wow, that looks the business.

Don Cunningham likes this

Del Phillipson
Date registered 07.18.2017
ThankYou 137

#5 by Don Cunningham , Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:07 pm

Well, I was incorrect in stating that this is not a Technicolor print. I sent the scans to a well-known film archivist to see if he could shed some light on the stock, as well as my recently purchased 16mm copy, for me. He immediately stated that the 35mm is Technicolor. The 1964 reissue used the original 1958 prints, just lopping off the distributor logo (that explains it!) since it had changed hands.

The following members like this: Del Phillipson and Robert Crewdson

Don Cunningham
ThankYou 33

#6 by Robert Crewdson , Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:05 pm

Well done Don; have you had a chance to compare it with your 16mm print?. Was there no edge markings on the 35mm print; I have two 16mm prints that have no info at all.

Don Cunningham likes this

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#7 by Don Cunningham , Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:34 pm

My 16mm print is just as strong color and sound wise, but no edge markings on either print!

Robert Crewdson likes this

Don Cunningham
ThankYou 33

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Where are you?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor