HORROR OF DRACULA

#1 by Don Cunningham , Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:06 pm

My second full length 35mm feature to add to my collection, HORROR OF DRACULA from Hammer. As soon as getting the film I set out to find a venue where I could watch it since I do not have 35mm capability at home. I contacted my local Alamo Drafthouse to see about rental rates for a theater so my family could watch it. Well, it turns out they wanted to make it an event! So, after three months of having the movie I was finally able to watch it. A very good turnout for a two week notice between tickets being made available and the showing. It is always fun to be around people that have a similar interest in movies.

The print itself looks very good with vibrant colors; the pictures do not do it justice. Sound is strong. There is no distributor logo (I do have 16mm Technicolor footage with the Universal International logo before the credits), just starts with the fade up onto Castle Dracula. On two occasions it looks as if a different source was spliced in for repair as the color briefly changes to a darker tone, but these only last about 3-5 minutes.

The following members like this: Martin Dew, Mats Abelli, Vidar Olavesen, Del Phillipson and Gwyn Morgan

Don Cunningham
Date registered 02.13.2018
home: Texas
ThankYou 33

RE: HORROR OF DRACULA

#2 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:12 pm

Colour is excellent in your screenshots Don. You were very lucky to get this, as there are many horror fans out there. Will you be looking for a compact 35mm projector. I had a look at one last year; it was hardly any bigger than a 16mm machine, but I was put off for several reasons. I don't think I could store more than one 35mm feature; there was no manual in English; the projector was German, and wondered how difficult it would be to get replacement exciter lamps, which looked huge.

The following members like this: Del Phillipson and Don Cunningham
Robert Crewdson

#3 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:17 pm

So nice to see 35mmsection get a post too

Look nice

Del Phillipson likes this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:42 pm

Has anyone tried LED lighting for exciter lamp replacement for in the future?

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Del Phillipson likes this
Andrew Woodcock

#5 by Don Cunningham , Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:09 pm

When this played in January, there was a jump during the last reel that caused the frame to be halfway up on the screen; showing the bottom half on top and the upper part of the next frame on the bottom. Luckily it was eventually corrected before the finale!

I recently purchased a set of rewinds and was able to examine the last reel and I found the culprit! Someone had previously made a very poor splicing decision...

Don Cunningham
Date registered 02.13.2018
home: Texas
ThankYou 33

#6 by Michael Lattavo , Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:38 pm

Wow, that is a terrible splice - looks like maybe the previous owner didn't have a splicer and decided to do it free-hand....

Don Cunningham likes this

Michael Lattavo
Date registered 10.01.2015
ThankYou 42

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
FREAKS

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor