FREAKS

#1 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:23 pm

Shown on Monday 30th October at the Plymouth University the BFI print of the 1932 film FREAKS.
This film came on four reels with a running time of 62 mins.The copy was in very good condition being a polyester print of the original,this I made up onto two
larger reels.It was nice that the change over came on a fade out / fade in section of the film.Really nice to handle 35mm film every so often.

The original film made in 1932 ran for 90 mins but has been censored and butchered back to this shorter version.The original footage has been lost apparently so there is no complete 1932 film available.The film is based on a book called Spurs by Tod Robbins the film being produced and directed by Tod Browning.The film is a horror,love story of a beautifull trapeze artist who agrees to marry the owner of a "freak" travalling side show to gain an inheritance from the owner.This is stopped by the owners deformed friends.In its day this film was obviously quite horrific,but now this film would never get made,but those who watched the film said it was very good.
On a sadder note I asked the powers that be if the two 35mm machines could be serviced.Reply... sorry no money, to which I asked what if the machines break down?
Reply...you guessed it......We go completely digital throw them out end of story.
Still maybe there will be a few more 35mm outings next year.
Will add pics later.

Tom Photiou likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

RE: FREAKS

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:32 pm

At least there may be another 35mm projector or two made available for any collectors who may want one.

I know of a few collectors now who began life projecting small gauge film but have now moved on up to 35mm almost entirely.
One of the reasons ironically, is because the films themselves can be obtained fairly cheaply by comparison to the equivalent Super 8mm or 16mm varieties.

Ok if you've got the room I suppose and of course, a separate booth.

I must admit, I don't think I personally could ever be bothered with it all even if I won the lottery.
35mm is something I feel, you have perhaps had to have worked in the industry ultimately, to have developed a passion for it by and large.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:39 pm | Top

#3 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:30 pm

Some pics of Monday’s show

Hope this is not the last picture show😜😜📽📽

Attached pictures:
8B8EE678-29B5-4ED8-B37B-B58BCAAC5036.jpeg  

The following members like this: Stuart Reid, Vidar Olavesen and Greg Perry

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:25 pm

Looks good, I want to see this some day

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#5 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:45 pm

Andrew,one things for sure if they decide to ditch the machines I know where they could well be going.One of the machines has a complete 16mm set up on its other side.
Still just have to wait and see.

Vidar,Hope you get to see it.It is available on the round object,but I doubt it is out there in 8mm or 16mm but you never know

Stuart Reid likes this

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:52 pm

Definitely not available on Super 8mm.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Andrew Woodcock

#7 by Mats Abelli , Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:56 pm

I have watched Freaks, but I have never seen a print for sale on 8 or 16mm. You have to see it Vidar, it´s really something special. Andrew, I started collecting silent standard 8 films in the early 60´s. I love reel film in all formats. I never planned to start with 35mm, but found a 40 feature collection and could not resist buying it. 35mm with Dolby surround in my home feels just great, but I will never stop collecting small formats.

Gwyn Morgan likes this

Mats Abelli
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#8 by Tom Photiou , Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:04 pm

I saw this years ago, what an odd but historically important movie.

Looking for Home alone trailer and Abba Scope trailer

Gwyn Morgan likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#9 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:16 pm

This film caused quite a stir when it was first released. I do remember seeing this in either a Niles or Blackhawk catalogue, so Super 8 copies are out there.

Mats Abelli likes this
Robert Crewdson

#10 by Alan Rik , Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:50 pm

Last time I saw a copy on eBay it was around 5-10 years ago. It sold for $510 I think? Same week " The Elephant Man" sold for around $450 or so.

Alan Rik  
Alan Rik
Date registered 11.15.2015
ThankYou 14

#11 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:58 pm

I'd love to find a Derann print of Elephant Man one day. Not too many about though by my own reckoning and one which hardly ever surfaces.
Seen only a couple for sale since my time back in this hobby.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:00 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Salom....120Doys of Sodom.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor