The Exorcist. 3 x 400ft (with 400ft inserts) colour sound

#1 by Tom Photiou , Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:36 pm

Tonight was time for a little horror, and what title covers this than the modem 1974 film The Exorcist. I first purchased the 400ft version years ago, this was an extremely well edited version of the film but i wished for more. Many years later, (like 20 years), i stumbled upon this very well put together version from WB, 3 x 400ft now joined onto an Elmo 1200ft spool. This one does have two parts that were put in by the previous owner, it does actually make a little difference but to be honest if they were removed it would not spoil this film one bit as it is a very good edit. As it happens the colours have held up very well, i will say, as always, these images really dont do it justice, the film has good sharp image, (not quite so good as the 400 edition), very good colours with the very slightest of fade but only on reel one. The sound is excellent throughout. As you will see from my screenshots there isn't a mark on this print. Now for those who would like to read the plot here it is edited to this 1st class mini feature.
Lancaster Merrin is a veteran Catholic priest and exorcist who is on an archaeological dig in Iraq There he finds an amulet that resembles the statue of Pazuzu, a demon whom Merrin had defeated years before. Merrin then realises the demon has returned to seek revenge.
Meanwhile, in Georgetown, actress Chris McNeil is living on location with her 12-year-old daughter Regan.
Regan begins acting strangely, including making mysterious noises, using obscene language, and exhibiting abnormal strength. Chris hosts a party, only for Regan to come downstairs unannounced, telling the guests "You're gonna die up there", and then urinating on the floor. Regan's bed also begins to shake violently, much to her and her mother's horror. Chris consults multiple physicians, but Dr. Klein and his associates find nothing medically wrong with her daughter, despite Regan undergoing a battery of diagnostic tests.
One night when Chris is out, Burke Dennings is babysitting Regan, only for Chris to come home to hear he has died falling out the window. Although this is assumed to have been an accident, given Burke's history of heavy drinking, his death is investigated by Lieutenant William Kinderman, who interviews Chris, as well as priest and psychiatrist Father Damien Karras, who has had his faith in God severely weakened and left badly shaken after the death of his frail mother.
The doctors, thinking that Regan only believes she is possessed, recommend an exorcism to be performed. Chris arranges a meeting with Karras. After recording Regan speaking backwards and witnessing the etching of the words "Help Me" on her stomach, Karras is convinced Regan is possessed. Believing her soul is in danger, he decides to perform an exorcism. The experienced Merrin is selected to do so instead, with Karras present to assist.
Both priests witness Regan perform a series of bizarre, vulgar acts, and confine her to her bedroom. They attempt to exorcise the demon, but a stubborn Pazuzu toys with them, especially Karras. Karras shows weakness, and is dismissed by Merrin, who attempts the exorcism alone. Karras enters the room and discovers Merrin has died of a heart attack. After failing to revive Merrin, the enraged Karras confronts the mocking, laughing spirit of Pazuzu, tackling the demon to the ground. At Karras's furious demand, Pazuzu then possesses Karras, leaving Regan's body. In a moment of self-sacrifice, the priest throws himself out of the window without allowing Pazuzu to compel him to harm Regan, and is himself mortally injured. Father Dyer, an old friend of Karras, happens upon the scene and administers the last rites to his friend.
A few days later Regan, who is now back to her normal self, prepares to leave for Los Angeles with her mother. Although Regan has no apparent recollection of her possession, she gives Father Dyer a kiss, a likely hint at posthumous thanks to Father Merrin and Father Karras.
And here is the story in images form my print.

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

The following members like this: Del Phillipson and Vidar Olavesen
Greg Perry sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

RE: The Exorcist. 3 x 400ft (with 400ft inserts) colour sound

#2 by Del Phillipson , Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:48 pm

What a fantastic looking print Tom, one I've always wanted since I started collecting in the 70's, amazing colour too.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Del Phillipson
Date registered 07.18.2017
ThankYou 137

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:55 pm

Superb review Tom, great screenshots also, as ever!

It is film millions love, personally, i cannot stand it. I never understood what all of the fuss was about.
Unless you get off from a vile talking head turning creepy looking green wrinkled old monster blaspheming the church at every opportunity it gets, then i simply never got it sorry.

Anyhow, each to their very very own as I seem to find myself saying increasingly nowadays and another "classic" horror film for our horror section once again with yet another superb review and accompanying screenshots to match.
Thanks again Tom.

Ps, if you have ever lost a loved one and seen them very very slowly die in a hospital bed from the vile disease that is called cancer, you'd never ever ever want to watch this film ever again, I guarantee it!!!!

Tasteless in the extreme, but that is just my take on "productions" such as this.
Escapism I get, to these depths of depravity, I struggle excessively sadly.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:23 am | Top

#4 by Tom Photiou , Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:07 am

you do make some very good points there Andy.
I think for me,it was reading about this film and the curiosity i got from wanting to see this. It is of course an important film in movie history. The fuss it caused with people fainting in the isles etc, (allegedly vicars jumping out of windows), was a bit OTT. My Brother saw it in the cinema and said loads of people were laughing at it due to the extreme content. For horror fans it is a must have. i dont really collect any one particular subject, i like to have a little of everything.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#5 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:18 am

Find it a very nicely done film, great acting, photo is nice (like todays style is not) and it has a good tension

Only have the 400' since I got overlooked by a certain person, was not in the in crowd there

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 349

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:36 am

Sorry Vidar,

I cannot and will not ever agree sorry.

Still it takes all kinds to rule a world as they say!

Take no notice of me Tom, I have viewed the extreme parameters of this life first hand and believe me, it has sensitized me far beyond the way I previously thought.
If people like Vidar and yourself like this kind of thing, so be it.

For me though, it is simply tasteless crass beyond belief.

When I see words like " nicely done" associated with shite like this, i am the nearest I ever could be to being personally offended,sorry.

I feel as though I no longer understand any part of our worlds human psychology unfortunately after knowing some people actually like this kind of film.

Tom Photiou likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:19 am | Top

#7 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:04 am

It is okay to disagree, for sure. But, if you take the story aside, the photo, editing, acting and directing IS very nicely done. I take it you might not like Life of Brian either? It was banned in Norway for blasphemy. Or is it more the gory, horror part of the Exorcist you do not like.

A video I feel this way that you do, is A Serbian Film. Not my cup of tea

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 349

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:13 am

The Life Of Brian I find funny and enchanting. It has nothing to do with being a bible bashing Christian of which I am not per se, although I do have some faith,...
it is simply the fact that this film lacks plot, lasts too long for the story it tells and the "most exciting" parts for the people who like it are the parts which i feel are the poorest acted, most ill directed and least sensitive, most immature I have ever seen placed on our screens.
To me the film is total bollocks and apologies if others see it differently.

As I say the words for me when describing this film are Crass and Tasteless as a description for this drivel with a capital C and a capital T!

It completely erases any faith i ever had left in humanity when i see people waxing lyrical about nonsense such as this.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:27 am | Top

#9 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:33 am

This topic is a review topic carefully constructed with time and effort by Tom.
As such, before I archive it into the horror section of the reviews, I will remove my own personal thoughts regarding this film as it is completely irrelevant and unimportant in the context of a review.

My thoughts will always remain the same on this undeniably infamous piece of cinema history as others will always be completely different.

Therefore while opinions are a valid debating exercise when the topic of a classic piece of cinema first arrives here, as has been seen on countless occasions, no more so than when David used to post here ( ha ha),.. I feel they no longer belong attached to the review once it becomes an archived piece of somebody's time and effort.

I will therefore edit this back to just Tom's review and superb screenshots before it is linked to the Horror review section here as is appropriate.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Tom Photiou
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:38 am | Top

#10 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:51 am

Sounds good

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 349

#11 by Tom Photiou , Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:21 pm

Hey Andy, as you say, each to there own and i fully understand what you are saying.
Vidar, A Serbian Film, now this really is a most awful film, i just dont get this at all and was very surprised to see anyone releasing it.
As for this version of the film, i have to say i have it on DVD but have never played it once, i prefer this edit.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

The Dirty Dozen 3 X 400 (ON 1 X 1200 REEL)MGM Release
The Fifth Element. 400ft Scope/stereo.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor