She Wore a yellow Ribbon 4 x 400ft colour sound.

#1 by Tom Photiou , Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:05 pm

A film we viewed for the last time tonight, The classic John Wayne Western directed by John Ford, (his second John Wayne movie).
This was a film my Brother bought off Roger Lily from here in Plymouth. It was an ex library print so we knew it had some lines. Due to how hard this title was to find in colour as 4 x 400ft he bought it anyway. We have many many years of viewing pleasure from it but Brother has decided to move it on.
The print is very sharp and the sound quality is excellent though from reel 2 it is marred a little by a high tone whistle that lasts the rest of the film. During normal action and music parts of the film it goes unheard but during the quite moments it is there. We were offered a refund but we decided to put up with it. While colours are still very good the early signs of fade are there now so Philip has decided he no longer wishes to view red or fading films.
We also bought the 400ft version of this movie which contains the attack on the Indians near the finale not included in the 4 x 400ft version, very odd, but we spliced it in anyway. The colours, as often the case, on the insert is now better than the feature but the sharpness and sound are not so good.
Here is the plot for those who may be interested.
On the verge of his retirement at Fort Starke, a one-troop cavalry post, aging US Cavalry Captain Nathan Cutting Brittles (John Wayne) is given one last mission: to take his troop and deal with a breakout from the reservation by the Cheyenne and Arapaho following the defeat of George Armstrong Custer at the Battle of the Little Big Horn.
Brittles' task is complicated by being forced at the same time to deliver his commanding officer's wife and niece, Abby Allshard (Mildred Natwick) and Olivia Dandridge (Joanne Dru), to an eastbound stage and by the need to avoid a new Indian war. His troop officers, 1st Lt.Flint Cohill (John Agar) and 2nd Lt. Ross Pennell (Harry Carey, Jr.), meanwhile vie for the affections of Miss Dandridge while uneasily anticipating the retirement of their captain and mentor.
Assisting him with his mission is Capt. Brittles' chief scout, Sgt. Tyree (Ben Johnson), a one-time Confederate cavalry officer; his first sergeant, Quincannon (Victor McLaglen); and Maj. Allshard (George O'Brien), Brittles' long-time friend and commanding officer.
After apparently failing in both missions, Brittles returns with the troop to Fort Starke to retire. His lieutenants continue the mission in the field, joined by Brittles after "quitting the post and the Army". Unwilling to see more lives needlessly taken, Brittles takes it upon himself to try to make peace with Chief Pony That Walks (Chief John Big Tree). When that too fails, he devises a risky stratagem to avoid a bloody war by stampeding the Indians' horses out of their camp, forcing the renegades to return to their reservation.
The film ends with Brittles being recalled to duty as chief of scouts with the rank of Lt. Colonel and Miss Dandridge and Lt. Cohill becoming engaged.

BTW, the fith row images two and three look red as that is how it is shot, you will be familiar with this scene if you enjoy this movie on screen or TV

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Del Phillipson

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

Last edited 09.12.2017 | Top

RE: She Wore a yellow Ribbon 4 x 400ft colour sound.

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:11 pm

Yet another nice rare print to archive into the "Western' category Tom.
Once again, brilliant review here thanks!

I'm hoping I will be able to add "Shane" into the category in the coming months.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Del Phillipson likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:14 pm | Top

#3 by Tom Photiou , Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:16 pm

Thanks Andy, Shane is a great film to own on 8. Very rare even when it was available.
BTW, did you want me to continue with reviews here or would you prefer me to find the correct category?

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:22 pm

I will always post them individually in the 8mm section or in the actual review section first as this is where they belong when they are new and topical.
I'd expect everyone else to do likewise.

All that the categorized sections bring to the table, is to tidy these pieces of people's work into an order which keeps them as a central reference arena for anybody interested once these posts date, by virtue of "links" to the original posting places here.

It's nothing less than they deserve given the effort yourself and others put into producing them Tom and I thank you personally for all of your continued efforts with these helping the forum to eventually have a wonderful archive of Super 8mm print reviews and screenshots.

Please continue with your outstanding reviews here, wherever you decide to post them.

They will all make the categorized sections over the coming winter months ahead.

For those that can be bothered posting them, they deserve nothing less Tom!

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:50 pm | Top

#5 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:09 pm

Tom,

Did you know Derann re-printed this many years later, so there could be some LPP prints out there.

Barry Attwood

#6 by Tom Photiou , Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:09 pm

I didnt know that, my Brother would love a copy of this on low fade, if one should come your way do let me know Barry.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

She Flies. 200ft Colour scope Derann re release
Silver Dream Racer 400ft Colour Scope Walton print

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor