Keystone Model #A-82 (1948)

#1 by Tim Duncan ( deleted ) , Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:46 pm

Well, it's been awhile since I've started a thread. I've been waiting for what I felt was the right time to announce that I am again collecting 16mm films and projectors. For those who don't know (or remember), I had a short stint with the 16mm gauge last year, when I bought a Telex Instaload XL (made by Singer). The machine turned out to be a piece of garbage and was destroying film, before the projector itself seized up, never to operate again.

In recent months though, I've been looking to expand on my collecting interests and have never been able to forget about the 16mm gauge. So one day while browsing eBay, this listing just popped up, based on my recent search history. The listing said that the machine was 'found in an old closet' and was 'fully functional'. The seller also had 100% positive feedback, offered a money-back guarantee, and the price was right. Even shipping was cheap as compared to what most machines cost to ship. So I went for it.

I can say that this turned out to be a good ol' machine. As the subject line reads, this is a Keystone model #A-82, 16mm silent projector. I can't find much online about it, but one eBay seller had a copy of the original owner's manual for sale, and included the year of 1948 in the listing. I can say that this is one solid machine! All it needed was cleaning of the film gate and oiling. The original case obviously protected this projector from moisture and dirt all these years.

In the photos above, you will see both the front and back of the machine. The knob on the back is a speed control knob, which causes a speeding up of the motor (typical of other Keystone products through the 1960s and possibly later). This machine can accommodate a 400' reel and has a short film path. One thing about this projector is that it will only take double-perforated (silent) film, so you could not run the more contemporary sound 16mm film that only contains perforations/sprocket holes on one side. There were indeed some silent 16mm reels produced by Castle Films, Excel, and perhaps a few more companies. But they are not plentiful, and most of what I have found so far are 100' reels (the equivalent of a 50' reel in 8mm).

In the picture above, the knob marked with a green circle, labeled as 1 (one) is the screw that holds the lamp-house cover in place. By turning it counter-clockwise, you release the cover and lift it right off. The lamp is a 750 watt-125 volt DFC coded lamp, rated at 15 hours. Fortunately, these bulbs are still readily found and reasonably priced (for a projector lamp, that is). The knob labeled 2 (two) in the picture is the elevation knob. The base remains flat on the table or other surface, and only the upper section of the machine is elevated.

Changing the lamp may be a bit of a mystery to some, unfamiliar with this design. With the lamp-house cover off, you simply push in on the top of the lamp and simultaneously give it a counter-clockwise turn. It will then lift right out. Simply reverse the order of removal for inserting the new lamp, but make sure it locks into place. Make certain the new lamp is free of dirt and oils from the fingers by using a soft cloth and some rubbing alcohol. You still must touch the top of the lamp to insert it, but you can wipe the top gently after installation.

The projector does require periodic oiling (a good machine oil is recommended). Thankfully, the holes are marked with red paint to show you exactly what areas are to be oiled.

If you ever decide to give a projector of this age a try, DO ask about the condition of the power cord beforehand. That can be a deal buster, if you are not certain of being able to replace a damaged or deteriorated electrical cord yourself. This particular model has a very heavy insulated cord, and not just any replacement cord would be safe against overheating and becoming a fire hazard.

Lastly, the lens is a 2 inch, f 1.6, so it doesn't project a huge image. I have not yet tried projecting at a maximum distance yet, so I can't elaborate on what image size capabilities you would have. But to sum it up, it's been a fun way to get my feet wet (so to speak) in the 16mm gauge. :-)

The following members like this: Eivind Mork, Vidar Olavesen and Mats Abelli
Tim Duncan
Last edited Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:24 pm | Top

RE: Keystone Model #A-82 (1948)

#2 by Eivind Mork , Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:35 am

I love old projectors, and that one looks very nice. They made things solid in the old days. Imagine anything made today working in 70 years. I don't believe we will find much at all still working of the things made today.

I know you will enjoy 16mm as well, and it will give you some more opportunities. Thanks for sharing!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#3 by Mats Abelli , Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:05 am

I love these oldtimer projectors. Beautyful design and built like tanks. I have some in my collection. Both 8 and 16mm. My 35mm Bauer B11, is also a solid ( 500 Lbs ) machine, built in the late 50´s. It´s now serviced by a friend and is running great. Now I have to learn using it.. It´s just not like using a 8 or 16mm projector. In the good old days you had to practice about a year to get the projectionist certificate.

Eivind Mork likes this

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

Last edited 07.02.2017 | Top

#4 by Michael Lattavo , Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:15 am

Welcome back to 16mm Tim! Great looking machine, glad to hear it's working out for you. If you like older projectors, might want to check out the Revere as well.

Eivind Mork likes this

Michael Lattavo
Date registered 10.01.2015
ThankYou 42

#5 by Tim Duncan ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:33 am

Hi Michael,
I've wondered about the Revere machines. They made some nice looking projectors as well.

Eivind Mork likes this
Tim Duncan

ANOTHER PROBLEM WITH MY BELL & HOWEL
Eiki Long Play Unit Manual

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor