Bell and Howell Filmosound model 458A

#1 by Tim Duncan ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:42 pm

This week my good friend Doug sent me this projector as a gift! :-) Yes...a gift! I just had to share it here and express my thanks to Doug publicly for his uncommon generosity. Doug put much TLC into this machine...a new belt, a new roller, a thorough cleaning and lubrication. It's about as close to a new machine as one can get. Now the 'Filmosound' name can be a bit confusing, as this does not accommodate film containing a magnetic soundtrack. However, it does contain ports that will allow for connection of a magnetic cassette player/recorder. The machine has speed control that will enable the projectionist to synchronize a soundtrack recorded on audiotape to the film (I'm thinking of those Americom film and record sets now).

It is an autoload machine, of course. However, it is quite unusual in the procedure for threading. In the first photo, you can see a lever, that is pressed down in the second photo, before any attempt to thread. When you hear a clicking noise, you release this lever and the proper loops are formed automatically.

One nice feature on this, is the accessibility to all parts of the film path. Although I haven't tried it yet, I see no reason why the film couldn't be removed without damaging it in the instance of a mishap, such as jamming. Most autothread/autoload machines do not give you full access to all parts of the film path, resulting in the only way to remove the film is by cutting (OUCH!). It also enables the owner to thoroughly clean all sections of the film path easily.

Even better, this is a dual 8 machine, which can accommodate both standard/regular 8mm and super 8mm film. :-)

This machine requires an expensive and hard-to-find DJL coded lamp. But never fear...Doug took care of that too! He graciously sent one of the lamp conversion kits that includes a bulb that can burn for 200 hours, as opposed to the DJL, rated at about 15 hours.
The projector also includes a take-up reel that the film automatically attaches itself to when threaded, and it stores neatly inside the lid.

I fully anticipate having a lot of fun with this machine in the future! :-) It's mostly metal in construction and well-built for sure!

The following members like this: Martin Dew, Mats Abelli and Eivind Mork
Tim Duncan
Last edited Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:50 pm | Top

RE: Bell and Howell Filmosound model 458A

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:07 pm

A quality built projector for sure there Timothy and a superb technical write up also may I add! Great work Tim and exactly what our forum needs more of in my opinion.

Doug's extreme generosity on full view here once again. What a guy!!

Enjoy your new machine, Doug's fine handy work means you should have many happy trouble free screening years ahead of you with your small gauge films and due to the modern day lamp conversion, no worries surrounding lamp life and availability either!

Very well done to you both!!😊😊

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Eivind Mork likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:08 pm | Top

#3 by Eivind Mork , Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:51 pm

A very nice machine indeed. And thanks for a well written and interesting description! Doug is indeed a nice guy!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#4 by Michael Lattavo , Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:38 am

Well this is quite a coincedence, I just got this very same projector last week! Can't wait to check it out!

Eivind Mork likes this

Michael Lattavo
Date registered 10.01.2015
ThankYou 42

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Strange Loop Loss

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor