Police Academy Two,Their first assignment. 2 x 600ft (joined onto a 1200) colour sound

#1 by Tom Photiou , Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:13 pm

While it has to said that i am no big fan of this series of movies, when i watched this particular one on TV many years ago i thought at the time, "this one would make a very good 1 hour version".
Lo and behold Derann did indeed release this as a 2 x 600 foot edition. Very well edited and absolutely top print quality on LPP stock with a mono, but excellent, soundtrack.
A few years after it was released this particular copy came up on Deranns list and it was advertised as slightly scratched but otherwise excellent, the price tag was £45 so i made the purchase. Aside some negative marks at the start and a couple some way through, (appears to be where there were original reel changes) all thats wrong is a single line to far right which very often is virtually invisible. Another clean up with film guard will improve, anyway, without me rabbiting on here is the plot courtesy of wiki edited to match this version from Derann.

After a random attack the night before by a local gang known as "The Scullions" and their infantile leader Zed McGlunk (Bobcat Goldthwait), Chief Henry Hurst (George R. Robertson) arrives at the 16th precinct and notifies its captain, Pete Lassard (Howard Hesseman) that the precinct is the worst in the city. Lassard protest’s saying that his officers are out-manned and old, and can't get the job done any longer. Nevertheless, Hurst gives Lassard 30 days to turn the precinct around or he is out. Before Hurst leaves, Lieutenant Mauser (Art Metrano) schemes his way into getting a promotion to Captain should Lassard fail. Capt. Lassard then calls his brother Eric (George Gayness) who is in charge of the Police Academy and asks him for six new recruits. Mauser is seen talking with his dim-witted partner, Sgt. Proctor (Lance Kinsey), as he attempts to take control of the precinct.
Commandant Lassard's top graduates Carey Mahoney (Steve Guttenberg), Larvell Jones (Michael Winslow), Eugene Tackleberry (David Graf), Moses Hightower (Bubba Smith), Laverne Hooks (Marion Ramsey), and Douglas Fackler (Bruce Mahler) arrive from the police academy and join the 16th precinct with some of them assigned to a veteran officer partner. Fackler is assigned with Dooley (Ed Herlihy), Mahoney to Vinnie Schtulman (Peter van Norden).
Mauser attempts numerous times to sabotage the new recruits while personally targeting Mahoney. During a patrol, Mahoney and Schtulman spot a robbery at a merchant's place, but the robbers escape in the confusion caused in part by responding officers. Mauser is ready to suspend them, but Mahoney makes a passionate plea that convinces Lassard to give them another chance. While all this is going on, Zed and his gang go "shopping" in a supermarket, causing havoc and chaos.
Mauser gives Mahoney a new assignment: patrolling a tunnel which results in him and his partner being covered with soot. He gets revenge on Mauser by switching his shampoo with Tackleberry's epoxy resin solution from a helmet repair kit, which glues Mauser's hands to his hair. He ends up embarrassing himself in front of the station and has to wear a wig through the remainder of the film.
Capt. Lassard spots some of Zed's men and tries to deal with them, but is over-powered and spray-painted. This humiliating act emboldens Lassard to allow the precinct to use "whatever means possible" to help contain the gang. Progress is made and most of the gang is captured in an incident at The Blue Oyster Bar, but Mauser informs the captain that he had most of the charges dropped due to excessive force and procedure violations. Mahoney sees that Mauser did this on purpose, so as revenge he informs the nurse in charge of a body cavity search ordered earlier to perform the procedure on Mauser.

Captain Lassard goes to see his brother Eric at a Japanese steakhouse and Eric comes up with an idea to hold a fair. On the night of the fair though, Zed's men trash the place. Lassard is out of a job the next day, while Mauser is promoted to captain. His first act is to remove Mahoney and Schtulman, who is quick to object to Mahoney's dismissal.
Mahoney, Schtulman, and Lassard get together in a last-ditch attempt to stop the gang. They send in Mahoney undercover to infiltrate the gang. Lassard and Schtulman wire him, using duct tape and a radio microphone. Under the guise of "Jughead," formerly of the gang "The Archies", he is able to infiltrate the gang and find out both their hiding spot and the name of their leader. However, his cover is blown after the microphone cuts into a radio ad, which leads to Captain Lassard calling every man to the location. The officers arrive, but are stopped by Mauser. Mauser attempts to conduct a raid, but Fackler accidentally bumps him in an air duct and pushes him inside, which leads to Mauser being captured by Zed and his gang. The officers stage their own raid and manage to overpower and arrest the gang. Zed attempts to escape with Mahoney, but Lassard blocks his escape and prepares to shoot Zed. However, Mahoney punches Zed down a flight of stairs, where Hooks arrests him. It's then revealed that Lassard's gun wasn't loaded, as he "hasn't carried live ammo since '73". Lassard is reinstated as captain.
Very recommended if you dont already own this print, well edited and the comedy pace is almost continuous.

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Eivind Mork

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

Last edited 01.31.2017 | Top

RE: Police Academy Two,Their first assignment. 2 x 600ft (joined onto a 1200) colour sound

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:29 pm

I love this Derann release. I had it first time around and then it became only the second film I bought when arriving back in the hobby.

It edits this film perfectly in my opinion, and the hour it lasts is full of 80's humour.

Two of my favourite scenes are the glue in the shower and the boiling fish scene.
Both actors cannot help laughing outwardly by the end of the scene!
Just brilliant!

The colours on this one are stunning from the opening scene also.
A great Derann release.

Beautiful screenshots there, great review Tom!!

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:05 pm | Top

RE: Police Academy Two,Their first assignment. 2 x 600ft (joined onto a 1200) colour sound

#3 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:55 pm

I was not aware of this. Is Police Academy also on Super 8

Very nice, the first two were really funny, went a bit diwnward after

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 349

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:57 pm

No, just this one. (From Derann).

There might be a very rare German full length release floating around of the first one but if I'm remembering correctly and there is, I'm certain I only ever saw one once for sale a good few years ago now.

Nothing for the last four years has surfaced where I look anyhow.

I've seen both titles surface very occasionally in full length on 16mm though.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:26 pm | Top

#5 by David Skillern , Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:09 am

ive got this copy of Police Academy 2 - its a great cutdown and probably the best of the sequels

Tom Photiou likes this
David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#6 by Eivind Mork , Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:20 pm

That would have been a nice one to have. I remember watching this when I was 12, and I thought it was great :-)

Tom Photiou likes this

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#7 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:44 pm

It's on Super 8, that's what makes it novel!
Perfect colour, perfect sound on the old pre striped stock.

Along with Never Say Never Again, Gremlins, Superman II, Never Ending Story etc etc, this was the very beginning of Derann's Superstar hour! 😊😊😊

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:45 pm | Top

#8 by Tom Photiou , Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:52 pm

Yep & Never say Never again is one we are looking out for, we have those others there.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#9 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:53 pm

They're all failsafe gems Tom. Part of the very fabric of why Derann products thereafter, became so very sought after.

Tom Photiou likes this
Andrew Woodcock

#10 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:00 pm

first time around, I remember being completely blown away by the shear quality of image on this one.(PA2)

Up until then, I'd collected only earlier titles like The Devil Rides Out, Night Hair Child, That'll Be The Day, Grease,Marathon Man, Fright and so on and so forth.

It was upon seeing this film in all of its sheer brilliance, that then made me decide to begin collecting some of the then brand new titles from that era.

Along came Mary Poppins and other shorter titles back then and there was simply no looking back.
The difference in overall quality was staggering from the newer stocks and Rank labs back then to anything I'd ever previously witnessed on Super 8mm.

More and more, you'd read comments in the various film magazines of the day saying, these prints had the quality of 16mm LPP ones but with the convenience and refinement of Super 8mm.

Win win, and from that moment on, I was smitten with these later prints despite selling them all back then, just a few years later.

Thankfully since returning to the hobby , I have managed to sift out all of the ones I had originally, and then add a few more into the mix that I previously didn't have.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:06 pm | Top

#11 by Tom Photiou , Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:17 pm

Yeah must admit to kicking myself several times over, especially with Derann doing that brilliant interest free layway scheme. Titles i should have bough but didn't include never say never again, platoon, silence of the lams, alien,aliens, DH 1 and 2, speed poltergeist to name a few, it would have actually been a simple way to do it to.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#12 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:54 pm

I Used it to buy MP one reel per month at the time Tom, but as you say, it would have been nice to do this for many many more.
I don't believe we should beat ourselves up too badly given that like myself, you were probably one of the first each month, to phone up regarding the countless top titled prints they had on their used lists back then.

Often, the same titles they were selling brand new, would emerge on their second hand lists, and you'd have been gutted to have seen a print surface described as an A print, at a fraction of the new price, only to be mid way through paying for it one reel at a time on their lay away scheme!

I am certain from looking through these second hand lists over and over again, some collectors would only buy some of the more expensive films to screen them only a handful of times and then simply trade them with Derann to buy other new ones again from them back then.
There were literally hundreds of feature films to be had at times. A simply incredible amount of choice catering for all tastes in films!

Oh to have that lot again as a confectionery counter!

Tom Photiou likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:31 pm | Top

Pluto's Christmas Tree. 200ft Colour Sound
Poltergeist. 2 x 1200ft Red Fox Print

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor