Capricorn one 600ft Scope colour Sound

#1 by Tom Photiou , Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:15 pm

Tonight we viewed a couple of bits n pieces,
Now this 600ft version of this 70s classic really is superbly edited. Starting with that classic 80s Derann logo you just know the quality is going to be up the top. This copy has no fade what so ever and a superb soundtrack and very sharp image. Super 8 scope films to need to be pin sharp otherwise a fair bit of quality is lost through the scope lens, this one is excellent. Purchased many many years ago from one of the dealers lists for £40. The feature was good but i think this packs everything into half an hour and is action packed from the start. This is definatly a movie made for the scope screen, especially the helicopter chase & the part where Caulfields cars brakes are cut and the bonnet mounted camera has you swaying left and right as he tried to get though the traffic until he plunges off the bridge.

Here is the story line edited to this version with the help of old wiki.
Capricorn One—the first manned mission to Mars—is on the launch pad. The bewildered crew of Brubaker (James Brolin), Willis (Sam Waterston), and Walker (O. J. Simpson) are removed from Capricorn One and flown to an abandoned desert base. The launch proceeds on schedule, and the public is unaware that the spacecraft is empty. At the base, the astronauts are informed by NASA official Kelloway (Hal Holbrook) that a faulty life-support system would have killed the astronauts during the flight, and they must help counterfeit the television footage during the flight to and from Mars. Initially they refuse, but Kelloway threatens their families if they do not cooperate.
The astronauts remain in captivity during the flight and are filmed landing on Mars within a studio located at the base. The conspiracy is known to only a few officials, until alert technician Elliot Whitter (Robert Walden) notices that ground control receives the crew's television transmissions before the spacecraft telemetry arrives. Whitter mysteriously disappears before he can finish sharing his concerns with journalist friend Robert Caulfield (Elliott Gould). Caulfield discovers that all evidence of his friend's life has been erased and begins investigating the mission, surviving several attacks.
Upon returning to Earth, the empty spacecraft burns up due to a faulty heat shield during re-entry. The captive astronauts board a plane to be placed in the spacecraft, but the plane unexpectedly turns around and returns to the airfield. They realise that something has gone wrong with the re-entry process and that officials can never release them because doing so would automatically expose the hoax. They break out of their confinement and escape in a plane, which runs out of fuel soon after take-off. Forced to crash-land and stranded in the desert, they attempt to return to civilisation while being pursued by two helicopters. They start walking in three directions. Brubaker is the only one to avoid capture.
Caulfield's investigation leads him to the desert, where he finds the military base and the hangar abandoned. Looking around, he finds a necklace given to Brubaker by his wife and concludes that the astronauts were in the hangar. With the help of crop-dusting pilot Albain (Telly Savalas), he searches the desert and rescues Brubaker from the men in the helicopters. The helicopters chase their plane but are destroyed after being blinded with crop spray. Ultimately, Caulfield and Brubaker arrive at the astronauts' memorial service, exposing the conspiracy.

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

RE: Capricorn one 600ft Scope colour Sound

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:21 pm

Ha ha ha...I spoke too soon evidently! that's the stuff thanks Tom.

Another great review and very nice images again there.

You're right of course regarding scope prints, the importance of their sharpness and the effects the scope lens has on these prints, but even ones that look positively blurred to my eyes and the cameras lens at times, look absolutely bang on without the scope lens. Hence the reason why I am ultimately not a massive fan of scope on eight. Looks great wide through a video projector though, with one solitary zoom lens i have to say.
Much improved on one of those, over the 4:3 aspect DVDs I have.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:23 pm | Top

#3 by Tom Photiou , Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:29 pm

Very true, have to say i was gutted the other day, i missed out on a copy of the 4:3 version feature of Poltergeist. A film i would love to get hold of.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:33 pm

What did it finish up at Tom? I was watching it but I've lost much of my faith in ebay purchasing these days. I tend to just casually look once a day but not so much with any intent of purchasing anything where films are concerned now.
I've got enough crap from the early days back in this hobby, without collecting any more!

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:34 pm | Top

#5 by Tom Photiou , Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:05 pm

Not too sure i think it went to around 200. Not too bad a price but as u say to spend that or more you do want to know thats its a good one.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

Cant Stop the Music Scope/400ft
Carry on Cleo 2 x 800ft Colour Sound

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor