The Detective. 400ft colour sound. Frank Sinatra

#1 by Tom Photiou , Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:56 pm

The plot, with the help of wiki edited to cover this 400 foot version.
New York City police detective Joe Leland (Frank Sinatra) is called to the home of a murder victim who has been beaten to death, head crushed and has had his genitals removed. Puzzled and disgusted, the police on call are left bemused, and Leland holds things together with his direct, no-nonsense approach.
Notions about the victim's sexuality and personal interests warp the ideals of the officers assigned to the task.
Eventually, the victim's housemate is identified as Felix Tesla (Tony Musante), and he is soon tracked down by Leland and another detective. A psychologically disturbed Tesla cracks until eventually Leland coaxes a confession out of him. This results in the electric chair for Tesla, which distresses Leland because it is clear to him that Tesla is insane.
Later, across town, a man kills himself by jumping from the rooftop of a racetrack. The case goes unnoticed until the wife of the dead man, Norma MacIver (Jacqueline Bisset), comes to Leland's office and asks him to look into it, believing something far more complex is involved.
Leland and partner Dave Schoenstein (Jack Klugman) follow leads. A psychiatrist, Dr. Roberts (Lloyd Bochner), clearly knows more about the dead man, Colin MacIver (William Windom), than he's willing to reveal.
Leland soon learns that certain powerful interests in the city do not want him to ask questions. The incorruptible detective presses on, at risk to his career and life, as he discovers a lurid relationship between the man's suicide and the previous murder.

I first saw this on Television many years ago, (& never since, I purchased the DVD and promptly sold it as I found it too padded out).
I remembered Bill Davidson’s review on this cutdown upon its first release on Super 8 and it came with his highest recommendations. Every time a copy came up it was sold before I could get to it, I found this copy recently on Barry @ Indi 8 and he did say there were a few marks here and there but the colour was actually very good. I made the purchased and was very surprised at how this one had retained its colour so well, while the image is ever so slightly soft,(compared to most of the fox releases) and the sound while good, can only be described as average, BUT. – It is a fine cut down with the help of “that narrator”. A very hard hitting film which when it was released in May1968 was a box office success & was the 20th highest grossing film of the year.
Frank Sinatra is seen here in very good performance and one of his hardest hitting from any movie he did.
It also totally omits the story of his strained marriage so therefore there are no scenes with Lee Remick and no mention of his wife.
This means this cutdown is pretty much all action and concentrates totally on the Detective side of the plot. Very recommended if you fancy a good short.

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

Eivind Mork likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

Last edited 09.12.2016 | Top

RE: The Detective. 400ft colour sound. Frank Sinatra

#2 by Eivind Mork , Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:29 pm

As I often listen to Sinatra, I have almost bought this 400' twice, but ended up not doing so. I try to hold back as I buy too much :-)

Great screenshots!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

RE: The Detective. 400ft colour sound. Frank Sinatra

#3 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:44 am

Thanks for reviewing this Tom, because I have been very curious about this particular cutdown! :-)

Tom Photiou likes this
Timothy Duncan
Last edited Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:20 am | Top

The Dark Stairway, Edgar Lustgarten. 800ft B/W
The Dirty Dozen 3 X 400 (ON 1 X 1200 REEL)MGM Release

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor