Laurel & Hardy, Blockheads. 3 x 400ft

#1 by Tom Photiou , Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:02 pm

Another L&H viewing for us as we work our way through the L&H collection we have.
Blockheads, released in 1939 was supplied to us on 3 x 400ft spools. This particular print is a blackhawk print and the titles appear a different style to the norm. There is also an odd title board which is the first screenshot, I've not seen this at the start of a L&H comedy before.
For those who have been living on Mars, here is the plot to this mini feature.

In the trenches of World War I, Ollie, Stan and the rest of their army company are ready to go 'over the top', but Stan is ordered to stay behind to guard the trench. Scenes of fighting are then followed by the caption 'Armistice'. Twenty years pass, and Stan is still guarding the post. He is found by accident (after firing on a plane he sees approaching) and goes home, feted as a hero. Ollie, who has been married for a year to the formidable Mrs. Hardy sees him in a newspaper and visits him in the Soldiers' Home. He finds Stan in a wheelchair, having apparently lost a leg, and invites him home. However, Stan is in fact just resting in another veteran's wheelchair and Ollie only finds out he still has both legs after pushing him around in the chair and then carrying him. They reach Ollie's automobile, which he says belongs to his wife and is 'practically new', but Stan quickly manages to completely wreck it.
The two start to climb thirteen flights of stairs to Ollie's apartment, because the elevator is out of order. A man (James Finlayson) insults Ollie, leading to a lengthy argument. Then they run into a kid with a football, which results in Ollie kicking his ball down the stairwell, leading to another argument with the kid's father. When Ollie and Stan finally reach the apartment, Ollie's wife disapproves of him bringing home yet another bum, so Ollie has to prepare a meal for Stan, but the pair only succeed in blowing up the kitchen. Ollie's attractive neighbour, Mrs. Gilbert, offers to help clear up the mess, but herself gets soaked and ends up in a pair of Ollie's enormous pyjamas. Mrs. Hardy then returns, so Ollie and Stan have to hide her. When Mrs. Hardy finally leaves, Mrs. Gilbert's husband (Billy Gilbert) arrives and when he sees his wife there, he chases Stan and Ollie down the stairs, firing a shotgun. A large number of men jump out of windows.

The print is good with a decent contrast, although not as sharp as the walton prints we have, however, the last 400reel of this print is slightly darker than the the first two, it more of an annoyance at the point of change for me as this one is edited onto two 600ft spools, I would call it "darker" rather than dark as it is perfectly fine after a few pass at the change, you soon get use to it. The image is sharp and the sound is very good. The reason we kept it was simply because it only cost us around £20 at the time which was dirt cheap even back then.

I did find a few interesting points about this film, so here they are with the help of wiki,[/b]
This film was announced as being the last Laurel & Hardy film and it was the last Hal Roach production for Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer.
Block-Heads was the last film directed by John G. Blystone who died shortly afterwards.
The original ending in the script had Billy Gilbert seated comfortably in his study, with Stan and Ollie's heads mounted on his trophy wall (Ollie glances at Stan and says, "Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!"). Hal Roach vetoed the idea as "too gruesome", but writer Felix Adler later used the gag at the end of The Three Stooges' 1941 short I'll Never Heil Again.
The battle scenes at the beginning of the film are recycled footage shot for the 1925 silent film The Big Parade by King Vidor.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

RE: Laurel & Hardy, Blockheads. 3 x 400ft

#2 by Mark Mander , Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:24 pm

Another classic Tom, they are all superb from the boys even the bad ones!! Mark

Tom Photiou likes this
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

RE: Laurel & Hardy, Blockheads. 3 x 400ft

#3 by Thomas Peters , Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:37 am

Quote: Tom Photiou wrote in post #1
released in 1939

Not sure about the U.K., but in the U.S. this was released in 1938, not 1939.

The final gag with the guys jumping out the windows was lifted from the boys' silent short, WE FAW DOWN. While it went over my head as a kid, I now find the gag absolutely hilarious! Note that most of the men are also in the process of putting their pants back on!

My Blackhawk copy is just a hair off in sharpness, too. I once had another Blackhawk print of this that I acquired subsequently. In a side-by-side comparison, I kept my first copy since it seemed a bit sharper.

I have mine mounted on a 1200 foot reel, and I notice no difference is brightness/darkness at reel changes. To me, my entire print is just a hair too dark (really just a hair, but not bad), even when projecting with an Elmo ST-1200HD, with a 1.1 lens, and 150 watt lamp.

I'd be interested in seeing what you mean by "the titles appear a different style to the norm", since to me, they look like fairly standard Blackhawk titles. Unfortunately, it is not until "The End" that you see a bonafide original title card for this print.

Purportedly, Blackhawk used original titles for BLOCK-HEADS for their later (mid-70s?) 16mm prints only.

Quote: Tom Photiou wrote in post #1
There is also an odd title board which is the first screenshot, I've not seen this at the start of a L&H comedy before.

This is Blackhawk's rendition of one of the original title cards. They left out, "and not our fault! Stan Laurel. Oliver Hardy." as can be seen here, albeit colorized:

Incidentally, Oliver Hardy was famous for signing autographs, particularly on photographs, upside-down. I'm not sure if he had already started this practice by 1938, when this film was made.

For years since I first saw it as a kid, and subsequently purchased a copy, this was one of my favorite features of theirs. I've soured on it a bit since then. I really don't like Minna Gombell as Mrs. Hardy. I believe Mae Busch had left the Roach Studios by this time, although she continued to appear in films sporadically (usually uncredited) until her death in 1946.

I feel the film falls apart the second time Mrs. Hardy arrives at the apartment, after she discovers that someone (Stan and Ollie) have wrecked her car and garage. While this is approximately a 10 minute scene at the end of the picture, it does occupy about 1/6 of the entire film.

As L&H aficionados know, the basic plot of Ollie bringing home Stan, and old friend that Mrs. Hardy has never met, to have dinner, was lifted from the boys' first talkie, UNACCUSTOMED AS WE ARE. In that film, Mae Busch DID play Mrs. Hardy.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
Date registered 08.30.2022
ThankYou 9

Last edited 04.23.2023 | Top

Laurel & Hardy, Our Wife, Walton 400 b/w sound
It's a mad mad mad mad world, 2 x 400ft scope

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor