Laurel & Hardy, Our Wife, Walton 400 b/w sound

#1 by Tom Photiou , Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:58 pm

Released in 1931.
This is another of our Walton 400ft, (2 reel ) versions.
Again, Walton have done a very good job with the quality in both image and sound although a slightly darker image than most of the other 400ft versions we have. Despite this darker look, the image is sharp and doesn't suffer from the dupe look that so many L&H films seems to have on 8mm.

Oliver's plans to marry his hefty sweetheart go awry when the girl's father gets a load of her intended groom. They then elope in a tiny car much too small for their combined dimensions, not to mention the accompanying Stan. They find a Justice of the Peace to perform he ceremony, but the official's cross-eyed condition results in unintended consequences.
This short also has an appearances of James Finlayson as the father of the bride and Ben Turpin as the justice for the peace, both uncredited in this short.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

RE: Laurel & Hardy, Our Wife, Walton 400 b/w sound

#2 by Thomas Peters , Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:12 am

Quote: Tom Photiou wrote in post #1

Again, Walton have done a very good job with the quality in both image and sound although a slightly darker image than most of the other 400ft versions we have. Despite this darker look, the image is sharp and doesn't suffer from the dupe look that so many L&H films seems to have on 8mm.

I have 2 copies of this film: a Super 8 Blackhawk, which I wouldn't characterize as being dark, and a 16mm Film Classics print, which is of course better. My Blackhawk print is what I would call average Blackhawk quality for a L&H, which is very good, but exceeded by a handful of their other L&H talkie releases.

Quote: Tom Photiou wrote in post #1

This short also has an appearances of James Finlayson as the father of the bride and Ben Turpin as the justice for the peace, both uncredited in this short.

It wasn't unusual not to credit supporting players in a L&H short, though there are exceptions. I am surprised, however, that Ben Turpin was not afforded this honor, though frankly, by 1931, he starring days were long over with the passing of the silent film. Though retired, he made the occasional cameo in talkies until his final appearance in L&Hs SAPS AT SEA in 1940, the year of his death at age 70.

OUR WIFE is sufficiently different from the typical L&H comedy to make it well worthwhile to view. Despite having a copy in my collection for nearly 50 years, I have viewed it relatively infrequently compared to some other L&H talkie shorts. It is solid entry their list of 40 talkie shorts, though not one that I would list as one of my favorites.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
Date registered 08.30.2022
ThankYou 9

Laurel & Hardy Busy Bodies Walton 400ft b/w Sound
Laurel & Hardy, Blockheads. 3 x 400ft

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor