One Froggy Evening, Derann release, 200ft colour sound

#1 by Tom Photiou , Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:53 pm

This cartoon was one I wanted for a very long time and later in the Derann years, they put it out on super 8.
Released in 1955, this short has no dialogue from any of the characters other than the singing and dancing frog.
With the help of wiki, here is the storyline.
One Froggy Evening is a 1955 American Technicolor animated musical short film written by Michael Maltese and directed by Chuck Jones, with musical direction by Milt Franklyn. The short, partly inspired by a 1944 Cary Grant film entitled Once Upon a Time involving a dancing caterpillar in a small box, marks the debut of Michigan J. Frog. This popular short contained a wide variety of musical entertainment, with songs ranging from "Hello! Ma Baby" and "I'm Just Wild About Harry", two Tin Pan Alley classics, to "Largo al Factotum", Figaro's aria from the opera Il Barbiere di Siviglia. The short was released on December 31 1955 as part of Warner Bros.' Merrie Melodies series of cartoons.
In 1994, it was voted one of The 50 Greatest Cartoons of all time by members of the animation field. In 2003, the United States Library of Congress deemed the film "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant", and selected it for preservation in the National Film Registry.
Steven Spielberg called the short "the Citizen Kane of the animated short".

This super 8 release from Derann is very good in quality although the image is not quite as bright a contrast as earlier cartoon releases, the colours are very good with the image looking perfectly fine and sharp if a little grainier than normal. The sound is very good but like other late releases at the time the sound stripe is the later oxide stripe but they have done a good job on this one which is just as well for the funny song and dance scenes.
I dont know how many of these were produced and sold but i cannot recall when i last saw a copy for sale anywhere.

These images are a little dark so they dont do it any justice but they are a good guide.

Attached pictures:
IMG_2539.jpg  

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Eivind Mork

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

Last edited 01.23.2023 | Top

RE: One Froggy Evening, Derann release, 200ft colour sound

#2 by Thomas Peters , Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:32 pm

This cartoon actually gets funnier the more times you see it!
"Hello my baby..."

Greg Perry likes this
Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
Date registered 08.30.2022
ThankYou 9

#3 by Lee Mannering , Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:12 pm

All these old film hold memories, don't they.
This one was shown at the Christmas open day, of which I missed only a few. Great times they were with Derek on the Elmo. I've mentioned this before when we went to film the demolition of part of the building the as tree was still in the building along with decorations. I fetched some of those home as a keep sake.

Lee Mannering
Date registered 11.07.2022
ThankYou 5

#4 by Tom Photiou , Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:07 pm

The one thing I never went to was the open days, now, looking back, I wish I had.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

#5 by Eivind Mork , Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:36 pm

Very nice print! I have added the review to S8D.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

The Longest Yard (aka The Mean Machine) Full feature
A Night at the Opera 1 x 800ft

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor