A Night at the Opera 1 x 800ft

#1 by Tom Photiou , Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:24 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Tonight we viewed this 2 x 400ft abridged version of a classic Marx Bros. movie. A mixture of zany humour and music. The print quality is very good, if anything, its a tad grainy but nice and Sharpe with very good sound. There is a two or three second sound drop in reel one but not within any musical numbers so its never bothered us. The comedy within this version is very good Classic Marx Bros, unfortunately, many of there movies had too much song and dance for my liking. This one is no exception. I know the title is a night at the opera but i think this edit has a wee bit too much of the music in it for us so tonight my Brother asked me to pop it to eBay. A shame really as i dont mind it but this his movie so off it must go.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork, Vidar Olavesen and Robert Crewdson

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

RE: A Night at the Opera 1 x 800ft

#2 by Robert Crewdson , Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:30 pm

Looks a very good print.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#3 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:46 pm

This is a funny film. Love it. Got this too and happy with my feature 16mm

One of their best, along with Go West

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Tom Photiou

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#4 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:43 am

Looks very nice Tom, I know what you mean when music has a big part in a comedy film it seems to take over,most of the comedy greats went down this route and probably their least favourite releases of many film goers at the time,if it's classic comedy it should be just that, Abbot and Costello did it and that's pretty dire and even Laurel and Hardy tried it and I'm a big fan of them but not those films, the new owner might enjoy it as the picture quality looks great,Mark

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Robert Crewdson
Mark Mander

#5 by Robert Crewdson , Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:19 am

I don't mind the music from that period, but if your not a fan, then I understand that you want the comedy only.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#6 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:16 am

It's not the music I don't like and judging from Tom's recent purchases I think he doesn't mind the music,It's the music taking over the film that I'm not keen on,you don't watch these type of comedy performers to then see not much of them in the movie because of musical numbers,Mark

Tom Photiou likes this
Mark Mander

#7 by Robert Crewdson , Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:51 am

The early Abbott & Costello films had The Andrews Sisters among others; I think A&C were still trying to get established as film comedians.

Tom Photiou likes this

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

Last edited 06.15.2018 | Top

#8 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:56 am

The trouble is with the Marx Bros. movies was the fact the scriptwriters were hampered in a way that they had to include a Chico section with him playing the piano and off course Harpo had to have his moment with a (conveniant) harp, these had to be written into most (if not all!) Marx Bros. movies. I'd have liked to see a 3x400' version of this so more of the comedy was kept in the running time, but M.G.M. 8mm classed this as a musical, and they nearly all got a 2x400' cut, even Singin' in the Rain!

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Robert Crewdson
Barry Attwood
Last edited Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:56 am | Top

#9 by Tom Photiou , Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:21 pm

Thats all correct there Chaps, if it was the feature it would be OK, as Barry states,as this was classed as a musical then thats what they included. In fact the small section with Chico playing the piano is actually very good, a little bit of comedy in with the music, but the Harp and the singing from the others is just not my cup of tea and it does pretty much invade the cut down. Having said that, the comedy in this particular short is classic Marx Bros, some of Crouch's one liners just never cease to make me laugh. The condition and quality of this release is one of the best ive seen from an old b/w comedy. Very good. We have had this for a number of years now. If it was my own print i would be be keeping it but Brother is now in his early 60s and wants to trim down now as he had two thirds of our 600 titles.

Robert Crewdson likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#10 by Thomas Peters , Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:39 am

I've had this one for almost 30 years, and it's a keeper for me. On mine, the first reel has sound slightly out of sync towards the end, during the contract scene. There is some clipped dialog in that scene, also, but that is also in the latest DVD/Bluray. That's because all that is known to exist of this film is the WWII era re-issue where they removed all references to Italy.

I only have minor issues with the overall edit, but everyone will always quibble if something is cut out that they liked. You still get over 1/3 of the movie. I don't mind the music -- at least they didn't include the entire "Alone" song. I'm glad they included the entire "Cosi-Cosa." Pity they didn't include all of Harpo's harp solo.

I'm not sure why they trimmed part of the stateroom scene, and the furniture moving scene in the hotel. The cut parts amount to about a minute's worth of footage, if even that much.

I recall there appears to be some decomposition in the negative on reel 2. Not sure what was going on there.

I really love these 2x400 ft. digests. I have several from Univeral 8 as well. You really feel like you've seen the whole movie, and they can be shown to someone who has never seen the whole movie.

M-G-M was more generous with the footage, giving you about 36 minutes as opposed to 32 by Universal. I have a handful of Derann's, too, and I think they were closer to 30 minutes rather than 40.

I've never bought a 3x400 ft. digest, but I'm sure they would be fantastic. I don't believe there are any titles I'm interested in.

Regarding SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, I have always passed on that since I don't like faded/red prints. I do have color prints in my collection, but the majority were bougth in the 70s, before we knew they would fade. Luckily, most of mine still look pretty good. Not sure why -- and I've checked the stock -- plain old Eastman.

Other ones I've passed on include HIGH SOCIETY and JAWS.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
Date registered 08.30.2022
ThankYou 9

One Froggy Evening, Derann release, 200ft colour sound
Red Hot Riding Hood, Tex Avery Cartoon, 200ft Colour Sound

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor