It's a Wonderful Life

#1 by Tom Photiou , Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:38 pm

Last night we viewed this classic Frank Capra movie from 1946. It is odd to think that this film did not do at all well at the box office upon its release. Only many years later did it became a Christmas classic after its copyright lapsed and it fell into the public domain, which allowed it to be broadcast without licensing or royalty fees and today it seems to be classed as one of the best Christmas films of all time.

My own opinion is this,
my print is on 3 x 1600ft reels and a full 1200ft reel. The last 1600ft reel is probably the best of the movies and could actually stand up on its own as a short version as this is the reel we finally see the angel Clarence, played by Henry Travers who shows George Bailey (James Stewart) what life would be like if he hadn't been born. The first hour and a half is fine and well made and very well acted, but i thought it a bit slow. It would make an excellent 3 x 400ft version on 8mm but that was never going to be.
The quality of this print is very good, only a few very light lines here and there, but the image is sharp and the contrast of the b/w is spot on.
The actor who stands out for me in this film is Henry B. Warner, a distinguished actor from silent films who plays the dishevelled, drunken pharmacist. Distraught over the sudden death of his son, Mr. Gower would have poisoned a child had it not been for George Bailey, brilliantly acted by Warner.

The following members like this: Dave Baker, Eivind Mork, Don Cunningham, Greg Perry and Gwyn Morgan
Dave Baker sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

RE: It's a Wonderful Life

#2 by Eivind Mork , Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:48 pm

What a great print to have! I love Christmas movies, especially running on a projector.

Tom Photiou likes this
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#3 by Mark Mander , Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:19 pm

Looks nice Tom, it's definitely one of those films that make you think how life can go in different directions, many other films are based on this one but it's now a classic Christmas favourite that its a hard one to beat, James Stewart gives such a brilliant performance but so does the other actors, the black and white adds to it too, Mark

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Greg Perry
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#4 by Gwyn Morgan , Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:31 pm

Nice one Tom,must admit not one I can watch over and over even at Christmas.As you say you have to get through the first half before it gets going,for want of a better phrase,but it is worth the wait.
A film that has stood the test of time and one that still has resonance in these times.
Very nice.

Tom Photiou likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#5 by Tom Photiou , Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:11 pm

Cheers Gwyn/Mark/Eivind,
I think the very long build up was it's downfall, clearly very well made with a great director and actors, like you i cant sit through it too many times, the final 1600ft spool is the one that could easily stand up on its own. Still, it was so much better watching this on the big screen rather than the TV.
I did read that Henry Fonda was also considered the main roll but was already signed up to film my Darling Clementine which was filmed at the same time as this movie.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

#6 by Mark Mander , Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:39 am

I agree it's not one you would want to watch over and over, as good as it is,but at Christmas time every few years is perfect, Mark

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

Last edited 12.19.2022 | Top

Robin Hood and The Small One
Portrait of a Hitman. 1979 Low fade

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor