RE: Pictures from Blackpool 2022

#26 by Paul Browning , Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:30 pm

Mark with all due respect to you, i thought you had given up on the hobby, so i'm surprised you went, it seams like you say one thing and do another, I 'm not interested in going over 100 miles to watch black and white films i can watch at home, there are plenty of films that derann did that would better promote the event on the night, and the demographic of the people there says it all. This as an event is never going to encourage a younger audience to attend if your showing norman wisdom films, and one member says like "Jerry lewis ", just my point, the films only appeal to a certain age group, the over 50's, and some go to purchase only to put them on ebay ...........

Rik Jackman does not like this!
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#27 by Mark Mander , Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:41 pm

So is this about promoting this forum or attending Blackpool? I think what your saying is for another topic perhaps?? It has been mentioned many times that people join and never post, it's common on all forums. Not sure I've missed a trick, I'm pretty sure most collectors know when Blackpool is on, it's not my place to promote anything connected to Blackpool, your comments are not exactly selling it either but those that have attended this year seem to have had a good time, this topic is about the weekend's convention not 20 years ago, it certainly wasn't a jumble sale,Mark

Rik Jackman likes this
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#28 by Rik Jackman , Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:04 am

Wow - what a thread killer You couldn't make this up if you tried

What was shown was reflective of what's out there in the market place, if someone takes an interest in the hobby expecting to see something different then they won't be hanging around for long as last time I checked, 99.9% of the media available dates back to the previous century and the quality isn't exactly going to improve seeing as stock will only continue to wear and many colours fade.

It's great that some of the forum members (regardless of which sites they might post on) made the effort to attend and a shame that other did not but it's entirely understandable as it's a bleedin' long drive for many and there are plenty other things to do in life. That fact that so many travelled from overseas was quite a thing!

There were five humans (with a fair spread of ages) and one dog in our party that travelled the 500+ mile round trip for the weekend. I enjoyed it for what it was; a get together with like minded people to have a chat, watch some films and maybe pick up few more to take home. The Saturday dinner had a particularly nice vibe.

Thank you Eivind and Mark for taking the effort to post some pictures, please post some more if you can. I'll try to add a few of my own.

The following members like this: Mark Mander, Eivind Mork and Greg Perry
Paul Browning does not like this!
Rik Jackman  
Rik Jackman
Date registered 11.09.2020
ThankYou 15

#29 by Mark Mander , Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:53 am

No Paul, I made it quite clear what my intentions were regarding the hobby on here, my son very kindly paid for the hotel which included the Saturday evening meal, he couldn't come with me as He was in Italy proposing to his girlfriend and also wants to try and keep me in the hobby, I don't say one thing and do another but due to other commitments the hobby wasnt top of my list, I'm very glad he did this kind gesture as I've not stayed over before so the evening meal was a very big bonus, as I've stated also it did make me think about the hobby too and where my future is in it, maybe words of encouragement would be better instead of insults,apologies for wanting to stay though.

The Friday and Saturday evening film shows are really a bonus, the 35mm I didn't see but would have liked too, seeing the projector alone is worth it, the Saturday again is a bonus, what was shown was a programme by Shorty from the US, no one knew what was being shown so that made it intriguing, all fun stuff.

Now regarding encouragement to new collectors, I wouldn't think they would jump straight in and book the whole weekend, the Sunday convention would be the place to go to find out more about the hobby and purchase films, also it's the place to see some of Deranns finest with the various film shows throughout the day, also new releases are shown so they get an idea of what's on offer and forthcoming releases, it's a day for all on the encouragement front I would say. They could also read the forums of course for encouragemen,Mark

The following members like this: Rik Jackman, Eivind Mork and Greg Perry
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

Last edited 11.22.2022 | Top

#30 by Gwyn Morgan , Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:27 pm

Well who would have thought a convention where like minded enthusiasts could go and enjoy their hobby,where a few photos of said convention posted for the enjoyment of those who could not attend would cause such consternation .I thought a simple “thank you” was a polite way of responding to the posts from those who had taken time to update the thread.
As Rick said a real Thread Killer,which I think is rather a shame.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork, Mark Mander and Rik Jackman

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#31 by Eivind Mork , Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:14 pm

I was glad we met once again, Mark! Also glad to hear you enjoyed the dinner! The weekend went too fast, and I would have loved to talk more with you, but I was busy filming much of the time and suddenly the weekend was over. I hope to see you there again another year!

Mark Mander sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#32 by Mark Mander , Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:25 pm

Thanks Elvind, if we didn't have to get home unexpectedly I would certainly have had more of a chat with you. You certainly was busy filming etc so at least others will benefit when you upload your video, hopefully I'll be at the next one, Mark.

Eivind Mork likes this
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

#33 by Martin Dew , Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:49 pm

I couldn't make Blackpool because I'm in the states for a few days, but I must say I love going to the shows. They make me feel like a kid in a candy store. I always find things I want to buy and some things I want to watch and then sell. I don't see any ethical problem with selling on films I've bought at shows that I don't particularly need or want long-term. Because I'm late back into the hobby, there are a lot of titles I just want to view, particularly cutdowns, because I didn't have a chance to see them when I was young. In any event, I see myself as a value-add reseller. I make sure the spools, film and box/cases are cleaned and repaired and look as new as possible, so the winning bidder doesn't receive filthy junk.

Eivind Mork likes this

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#34 by Paul Browning , Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:16 pm

So now you've patted yourselves on the back, who actually bought anything from the convention that they don't intend to sell on ebay ? , because they are not really collectors are they, come on children speak up ?

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#35 by Rik Jackman , Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:44 am

Pictures of our weekend in Blackpool to attend the Blackpool Film Collectors' Convention and Dinner where apparently in a shocking act of deception, none of the attendees were actually real collectors but were in fact children on a school trip.......... As a result I have sent the organising team a strongly worded email demanding they remove the word Collectors from any future events [sigh]

https://www.visitblackpool.com/detail/bl...m-fair-1045530/

I'll post the ebay link to our purchases on the other Blackpool Purchases thread

Steam Tram

Walking the dog on the beach

Saturday meal

Raffle prizes

Waiting for the film show

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan, Mark Mander, Greg Perry, Eivind Mork, Tom Photiou and Martin Dew
Rik Jackman  
Rik Jackman
ThankYou 15

#36 by Greg Perry , Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:56 pm

Rik,

Thanks for sharing these pics! Looks like a grand weekend of family fun with film as an added bonus...

The following members like this: Rik Jackman, Tom Photiou and Martin Dew
Rik Jackman sais Thank You!

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#37 by Eivind Mork , Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:21 pm

Great to see your pictures, Rik! Next time we must say hello! I enjoyed watching your son collect raffle prizes! 😊

Rik Jackman likes this
Rik Jackman sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#38 by Eivind Mork , Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:55 pm

Just a little teaser of the upcoming Blackpool 2022 video. I am now at the Saturday dinner after two evenings of editing :-)

The following members like this: Mark Mander, Greg Perry, Rik Jackman and Martin Dew

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#39 by Mark Mander , Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:09 am

Look forward to seeing it Elvind, Mark

Eivind Mork sais Thank You!
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

#40 by Rik Jackman , Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:49 am

Thanks Eivind. I agree I must achieve more than a nod and a smile with you next time round!

Looking forward to your video although I'm hoping the bit you got of me nicking my son's starter doesn't get beyond the cutting room floor

Rik Jackman  
Rik Jackman
ThankYou 15

#41 by Graham Sinden , Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:36 pm

Great photos everyone.

Eivind, can I ask what editor you use for your videos. I myself use Pinnacle Studio but is still a novice with it. Will look forward to seeing it.

And anyone who was there on the Saturday screenings, can you remember what titles were shown throughout the day?

I really hope I can be there next year, I last went in 2019.

Graham S

Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

Last edited 11.25.2022 | Top

#42 by Tom Photiou , Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:28 pm

Video editors can do so much these days, i myself use Videostudio but i dont use half of its capabilities. We have improved many of our own old home movies with sounds effects and snipping just a few frames here and there and it makes such a difference. Once you get into it the time seems to fly by.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#43 by Eivind Mork , Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:09 pm

Quote: Graham Sinden wrote in post #41

Eivind, can I ask what editor you use for your videos. I myself use Pinnacle Studio but is still a novice with it. Will look forward to seeing it.

I use Kdenlive using Linux (Ubuntu 22.10).

Graham Sinden sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#44 by Tom Photiou , Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:52 pm

Linux is much better operating system to Microsoft, a lot of people dont realise there are alternatives to the spy ware OS that is MS. I used Linux myself some years ago, the best part for me was that you can use MS software on Linux but MS could never run Linux. Written by users for users. Unfortunatly, games companies didn't support it so most users opt for MS.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#45 by Tom Photiou , Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:52 pm

Linux is a much better operating system to Microsoft, a lot of people dont realise there are alternatives to the spy ware OS that is MS. I used Linux myself some years ago, the best part for me was that you can use MS software on Linux but MS could never run Linux. Written by users for users. Unfortunatly, games companies didn't support it so most users opt for MS. The other good thing with Linux is that it doesn't suffer so much from virus's because the sad plebs tend to write them to attack the majority Microsoft users.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 11.26.2022 | Top

Video from Blackpool 2022
Bill Parsons, A Huge Thank you. The Sankyo OMS880 STEREO

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor