The Dam Buster Walton 4 x 400ft

#1 by Tom Photiou , Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:57 pm

There is no need for me to review the story of this classic British war film.
While i know Derann released this film in full length, the version we have had here for decades is the Walton 4 x400ft abridged feature and is mounted on two 800ft reels.
The sound is very good, the image clear and sharp although reel 1 is a little on the dark side which is annoying but perfectly watchable, you see a big difference on reels 2,3 and 4 but overall, at a cost of £20 from movieland international here in Plymouth, it was a steal.
While this movie is a classic, we do much prefer this abridged version, a lot of padding has been removed and the film moves at a good pace. Whenever the Derann full length version came up my Brother always said no to purchasing for the very reason given, this version works better for us. The editing is very good, we cant see any obvious edits. The original feature runs for 124 minutes, i believe this one runs for approx 70/75 unless i am mistaken, so it's around 40/50 minutes shy of the full film, but it works very well, we think it's actually better. I'm not saying the full feature is dull or boring, quite the opposite, but at this shorter running time it is has more repeatability.
Of course the good thing with the cine version is that the dogs name and code name are left as they were intended.
This may make you laugh and also realise what a ridiculous world we live in ,
Censorship
Gibson had a dog called Nigger, a black Labrador which was the mascot of No. 617 Squadron. Gibson owned the dog when he was previously a member of 106 Squadron. Nigger often accompanied Gibson on training flights and was a great favourite of the members of both 106 and 617 Squadrons. He was noted for his liking of beer, which he drank from his own bowl in the Officers' Mess.
Nigger died on 16 May 1943, the day of the "Dam Busters" raid, when he was hit by a car. He was buried at midnight as Gibson was leading the raid. The dog's name was used as a single code word whose transmission conveyed that the Möhne Dam had been breached. In the film, the dog was portrayed in several scenes; his name and the code word were mentioned several times. Some of these scenes were sampled in the film Pink Floyd – The Wall (1982).
In 1999, British television network ITV broadcast a censored version of the film, removing all utterances of "Nigger". ITV blamed regional broadcaster London Weekend Television, which in turn alleged that a junior staff member had been responsible for the unauthorised cuts. When ITV again showed a censored version in June 2001, it was condemned by the Index on Censorship as "unnecessary and ridiculous" and because the edits introduced continuity errors. The British Channel 4 screened the censored American version in July 2007, in which the dialogue was dubbed so as to call the dog "Trigger", this screening took place just after the planned remake was announced. In September 2007, as part of the BBC Summer of British Film series, The Dam Busters was shown at selected cinemas across the UK in its uncut format. The original, uncensored, version was also shown on 1 and 5 January 2013, by Channel 5. It was the version, distributed by Studio Canal, containing shots of the bomber flying into a hill.
In 2020, Film 4 has broadcast an edited version, possibly re-dubbed in a few places, where the dog's name is removed, addressed as "old boy" or referred to as "my dog".

The following members like this: Eivind Mork, Paul Browning and Gwyn Morgan

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

Last edited 09.11.2022 | Top

RE: The Dam Buster Walton 4 x 400ft

#2 by Paul Browning , Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:11 am

I believe the late David Frost owns the rights to this film, so given his left leaning its hardly surprising, i would argue that its not a film many coloured people would watch anyway, and even would notice this in or out of edit, so its the editing woke brigade going over everything we say or do that's responsible for the over reaction to this great film......

Tom Photiou likes this
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

Last edited 09.12.2022 | Top

RE: The Dam Buster Walton 4 x 400ft

#3 by Tom Photiou , Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:34 pm

It is Paul. A classic movie being altered for the few.
Another comical ban was the carling Black label advert which as you recall, was a brilliant spoof of this very movie and it was very funny. Unfortunatly i believe it was banned in Germany, why cant people just take a joke?
By the way, as it is in line with this classic movie, for those over seas who have not seen this brilliant advert, here it is,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyuDUVne...llofAdvertising

Paul Browning likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

Last edited 09.12.2022 | Top

The China Syndrome.400ft colour Sound
The Dark Stairway, Edgar Lustgarten. 800ft B/W

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor