Derann Ad reel 12Plus One extra

#1 by Tom Photiou , Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:13 pm

Derann Ad reel 12, 200ft Colour Sound, and while all of these reels are very good, this is definatly, along with ads of the 90s, one of my favourites.
I mentioned elsewhere an advert for Lyons Maid Hot Dogs with Sid James, totally un-PC and very funny, just the way he looks and his single word answers. I have no idea which reel it came from, possibly one of the day set reels? Maybe one of the other companies ad reels rather than Derann.
This single advert has been spliced to the beginning of my Ad reel 12 before Rank screen advertising opening to the reel. I couldn't find it on you tube so i cant link it, and i wont video it off screen. But it is a good old English humour ad in line with the Carry on's.

After this ad is the opening followed by excellent adverts for, Carling Black label larger, King Arthur version, one of funny parts that not everyone seems to get is the guy watching on as he leans on his sword, suddenly his weight pushes it into the stone and he in the background he cant get it back out, obviously the sword in the stone, so many people i've shown this reel to seem to either not get it, or miss the pun. Castlemaine xxxx, Heineken larger, one of the best for us in the hobby as intro music to the Pearl & Dean ad opening plays to the Academy leader countdown, as it slows and breaks down a frame burns out, we hear the can ring break and it all takes off again with the words as per screenshot. Sure deodorant, One of the very best ads from the past, The Dambusters Spoof, I believe this one was banned in Germany, how ridiculous, Nescafe Coffee and ending with another Police Squad files with Leslie Nielson ending with Rank closing.
Super colours on low fade stock, excellent sound and pin sharp image.

Attached pictures:
IMG_0681.jpg  

Gwyn Morgan likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

Last edited 09.03.2022 | Top

RE: Derann Ad reel 12Plus One extra

#2 by Martin Dew , Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:41 pm

Have you got #10? It has that funny long Silk Cut Zulu ad which I don't think would get past the BBFC censors nowadays! 🤣

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#3 by Tom Photiou , Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:14 pm

We do have number10. It was a white box special. The only thing wrong with it is that the image has a little up and down movement, luckily my audiences dont seem to spot it. It is definatly one of the very best and that zulu spoof for silk cut is one of the funniest ads ever.
As you said it would be banned now by the sissy brigade,assuming it isnt already banned, but it isnt remotly offensive in my view, its called comedy, It does also takes the p*** out of the British as well with the ponsy accent and the "sorry" when each zulu is killed. Even funnier when a zulu stabs the brit and in an Afican accent says, "sorry man". Everyone in the cinema was laughing,these days the snowflakes would walk out. Just pure comedy and most important, very good advertising, we all to this day remember the brand it advertised so it worked.

Paul Browning likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

Last edited 09.03.2022 | Top

#4 by Graham Sinden , Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:06 am

Tom,

That Sid James ad was part of CHC's Classic Nostalgia Reel 3 as I have it along with a few other Classic Nostalgia reels they released. And that ad too is also faded coming off of a faded master as its a modern print from the 90's or 2000's. It might possibly have come from that, one way to tell is if it is Acetate as I don't think the German labs were using Polyester then. All CHC's prints then were Acetate.

Graham S

Tom Photiou likes this
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

Last edited 09.06.2022 | Top

#5 by Tom Photiou , Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:17 pm

Graham, thanks for the information, i've been wondering where it came from since i obtained it.
I do also have a couple of other little gems that where gathered up between reels of film i bought where the seller simply left them on the reel.
one is a screening of the last Emperor, as its going two blokes come in with a ladder and begin to paint out the screen until it's a TV size image, ending with the caption, "see a film in the cinema", (or something like that), i will dig it out a view it again.
The other one is an audience in the cinema watching a western, as the annoying tosser in the audience continues to talk, the actors on screen look out, shoot and tells him to be quite and stop ruining the film. Perhaps these are from the same reel?

Graham Sinden sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#6 by Graham Sinden , Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:43 am

Tom I don't recognise either of the 2 adverts you mention but could easily be on a reel I don't have like Classic Nostalgia reels 1 & 5 or even on a DCR reel etc. In fact thinking about it there are more advert reels from different companies than I initially thought and it would be nice to have them all but near impossible especially today.

I put Classic Nostalgia 3&4 on a 400ft reel and next time when I get it out I will do a review and take screenshots.

Graham S

Greg Perry likes this
Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

#7 by Stuart Reid , Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:41 pm

That Last Emperor one was definitely a Derann release, trying to remember which reel it came on.

Stuart Reid
Date registered 03.07.2016
ThankYou 37

#8 by Tom Photiou , Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:04 pm

I am working my way through the other ad reels i have so keep an eye for the reviews, any i dont have and you chaps want to add please do.

Stuart Reid likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

Death Wish 1974, Full Feature 5 x 400ft Marketing.
Derann ad reel 14.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor