CHRISTMAS TRAILERS No.2

#1 by Graham Sinden , Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:46 am

A new release from the Reel Image, took a while to get done, recorded and delivered but it's now here. If you liked Christmas Trailers #1 then this is just as good and contains more footage and is excellent value for money.

I would also say this is only possible due to the hard work, dedication and expense from Lee Mannering, Steve Osbourne, Alberto "Mr Stripe" and the person recording the prints. Also not forgetting the German Lab which makes all this possible.

The Odeon advert is nice and modern and has to be said is difficult to focus if you don't manage to focus on the countdown numbers so maybe a good idea to put a different reel on first. The Dolby Stereo information has some wear but this is to be expected given the age of it, a welcome addition not available on other advert reels. Then we move onto the four Christmas Trailers...Home Alone 2, Jingle all the way, A Christmas Carol (flat trailer promoting the 3d release but not actual 3d btw) and finally New Years Eve.

All four trailers are excellent. The Christmas Carol trailer features some brilliant flying scenes but my favourite has to be New Years Eve which is the longest of the four and features some lovely shots of New York lit up and an all star cast. It is also a film which I had not heard of before possibly due to the mixed reviews the film received at the time and the lack of TV broadcasts in the UK, but it's great to have this trailer and want to see the full feature sometime.

A worthy addition to your Christmas film programme, great to have on Super 8. However on the negative side this release does suffer from the usual German 'lines' problem which I believe is trying to be sorted out but may be impossible to fix. It is not too distracting and is common on these releases and wouldn't stop me purchasing other releases and I have many German releases. Just great to have it on Super 8.

Overall an excellent release from The Reel Image, nice and sharp throughout with top notch stereo sound. A reel to be repeated again and again. It's fantastic we now have 2 reels of Christmas Trailers and there might be more to come .

Cant wait until next Christmas .

If Steve doesn't have any more copies I believe there are more on order.

Graham S

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Eivind Mork, Mark Mander and Tom Photiou
Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

RE: CHRISTMAS TRAILERS No.2

#2 by Greg Perry , Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:24 am

Hi Graham,

I agree. I was pleasantly surprised by this Christmas Trailer reel. Also, I had not heard of the "New Years Eve" movie before.and it does have a ton of stars in it.
I am looking forward to Christmas Trailer Reel #3.. I hope to see "Christmas Vacation", "The Polar Express" and others in the next release for this year.

A fine job by all involved..thank you!

Tom Photiou likes this

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#3 by Mark Mander , Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:32 pm

Looks a great reel, Mark

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#4 by Tom Photiou , Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:03 pm

Graham, that is a very good review, thank you. From your review, (like Greg's Jurassic Park review) we know exactly what is on the reel and you also inform the potential customer of master material wear on the Dolby stereo logo as well as pointing out those German lab lines which are also present on other releases. All in al, the reel looks very good and as already said, fingers crossed that there will be another one with Christmas vacation and The polar express, two gems for festive time of year.
Well done to all involved with this release, great screenshots Graham.

Graham Sinden sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

#5 by Graham Sinden , Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:42 am

Thanks Tom,

I forgot to mention that at the end of the reel there is message from Santa where he says "Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas" but this is just Santa's voice over black tail (there is no image on screen), but is a lovely way to finish the reel. Maybe a bit late from Santa as we just had New Years Eve .

Anyway to sum up the complete contents on the reel.....

Odeon Advert
Dolby Stereo Advert (short but nice modern music)
Home Alone 2 (lovely trailer, NOT the subtitled song one)
Jingle All The Way (terminator style trailer)
A Christmas Carol (letterbox animated 3d Imax trailer)
New Years Eve (letterbox)
Santa's Message (audio only)

(All the trailers above can be found on YouTube)

Polyester print
Total running time 8.25 mins
Quite full 200ft - Flat - Stereo
Highly Recommended

Yes there is a Christmas Trailers No.3 reel already in the planning BUT I HAVE NO IDEA OF ANY TITLES, these will be announced later in the year. Where the information of the titles mentioned above I don't know?

Graham S

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
ThankYou 45

Last edited 02.20.2022 | Top

#6 by Greg Perry , Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:47 pm

Hi Graham,

My mentions of the other titles are just suggestions made by myself and others, and are some of the Christmas-related trailer 35mm prints that have been offered to Steve O. to use if he would like, for the next trailer reel. So, you are right, there are NO confirmed titles for the next release yet.

Tom Photiou likes this

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#7 by Tom Photiou , Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:31 pm

We can live in hope though
Just to add to this subject though, any new trailers are always welcome, any of the following would be hugely welcome as releases, (some we have all, already mentioned)

The Santa Clause,
White Christmas, (the trailer was better than the film )
Love Actually
Scrooged
Polar express
National lampoons xmas vacation
The Grinch (Jim Carey)
While there are many others i thought about, quite a few are already out there and released years ago, so i think to put all the work and effort, (as well as costs) into a trailer thats already been done would seem a little pointless, a re release isn't a new release.

BUT, back to this thread, Graham, your review has sold this reel very well. I will look forward very much to number three and keep my fingers crossed that at least one or two of my favourites may appear.

Greg Perry likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

Last edited 02.20.2022 | Top

#8 by Graham Sinden , Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:49 pm

This is the official box label supplied by Steve.

Eivind use this for the Super 8 Database, I don't think Steve will mind.

Tom Photiou likes this
Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
ThankYou 45

Chinatown. 1 x1200ft (3 x 400 Plus Pt 1 of full feature)
Cine Ad reel 27 200ft Colour sound

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor