Psycho Promo 200ft b/w

#1 by Tom Photiou , Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:40 pm

Another one of those releases that Derann re-released later.
This one is the original release on real b/w stock rather than the later version on colour stock so the image is true b/w.
As i understand it, Deranns re-release did have an improved sharper image however, i have never seen the later release so i cant compare it to this original.
What i can tell you is that this original release does have a good clear image with very good sound, my print has a few minor base lines to the right but these do clear up very quickly.
A great little short as Alfred Hitchcock takes us around the grounds of the Bates Motel and also the House where Norman Bates lives with his Mother. Done in true Hitchcock style. This trailer was the first of its kind, Alfred Hitchcock wanted to do something different to any other film before it.
The script for this, the longest of all Hitchcock trailers, was written by James Allardice, the writer of the Hitchcock monologues in Alfred Hitchcock Presents and The Alfred Hitchcock Hour. The trailer deliberately misdirects the audience, even the "blonde" in the shower who screams at the end of the trailer isn't Janet Leigh, it's Vera Miles in a wig!

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Del Phillipson, Martin Dew and Eivind Mork

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

RE: Psycho Promo 200ft b/w

#2 by Greg Perry , Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:19 pm

Tom,

I will have to take a look at my print to see what stock it is on. I like the content, but to be honest, I wasnt real pleased with the quality. So maybe I have an earlier one too.

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#3 by Tom Photiou , Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:17 am

Hopefully itl be fine, im assuming my own is an early release simply because it is on b/w stock, the quality of the image and sound are both good but if i had to pick on something it would that, at the start, the sound, while good, has a background hiss for a sort time but that soon dissapears. The reel is generally good image, sharp and good clear loud sound.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

Last edited 01.14.2022 | Top

#4 by Martin Dew , Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:44 am

I found the Derann release on eBay last year in original box, finally. I don't think it had ever been played. Lovely. I did have a wretched scratched earlier version which was soft too but quickly returned to seller. It also had closing minute or so missing!

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#5 by Tom Photiou , Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:15 pm

I must have struck lucky with mine as it doesn't suffer with any of the problems reported in reviews, unless it was a later re-print of the original release.
To be fair, i ordered the 400ft version of Psycho off a second hand list, when it arrived i could see that the spool was packed to the rim which i knew never happens with the U8 400 footers, upon inspecting i could see there was something extra spliced on at the beginning, after inspection and cleaning i was very pleased to see that the dealer had not checked the reel as this promo was an extra bonus for me. Only the actual 400ft version was the item advertised. It's never happened before or since.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#6 by Eivind Mork , Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:59 pm

Thanks for the post! I have added it as a review on S8D :-)

Martin Dew likes this
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

Psycho 400ft U8
Public Enemy, James Cagney 3 x 400ft b/w Sound

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor