Christmas Trailer reel 3?????

#1 by Tom Photiou , Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:26 pm

No not yet and, as far as i know there isn't one in the planning as of yet, (i dont think), however, as the New Year has only just started there is plenty of time for planning ahead.

Having read the rather rushed and vague review of Christmas trailer reel 2, i.e. descriptions like "delightful piece of seasonal fun, colourful and action packed as you would expect"
and "a Terminator style opening so just a little bit unique with Arnie looking menacing before the seasonal comedy starts", followed by "animated gem with Jim Carrey doing the voice for Mr Scrooge so very well", ending with " New Year trailer which may well be a first for Super 8. It has some lovely shots of New York all fully lit up and Times Square. A great film with all star cast". Really, has anyone seen this film???? And of course it has automatically been give an A and A+.

Sorry, but none of this tells me anything at all about the trailers, if people are expected to part with a ton i want to know the running time for each trailer and if the trailers are teaser or full, perhaps a youtube link to the trailer on the reel. I've watched the Arnie type opening trailer to Jingle all the way and unfortunately for me, its only a teaser running for about 1.37 minutes, these are the details a review should include.

So what of a possible third outing? Some people may be put off by the trailers of number 2, My suggestions for a good seller would be,
A Christmas opening logo (like the two reels already done) followed by full trailers for,
National Lampoons Christmas Vacation,
Scrooged,
The Polar Express.

Some collectors may prefer more vintage films, in which case lets have some other ideas, perhaps if we get enough replies, (if any one other than the usual four or five members on here can be bothered) i will be happy to send the suggestions / ideas to Steve Osbourne, he and Mr Baker need as much feedback as possible.
As far as reviews are concerned, they MUST be non bias and ideally from at least two sources, No i am not putting myself up for it, but i would be honest, i certainly wont purchase new releases in future without reading other reviews than the one designed to chum up the suppliers, all be it, the producers of new releases always deserve a pat on the back for what they do.
Jurassic Park had a lot of good feedback from several collectors who purchased so hopefully, others will add there views on other new purchases.
I decided on JP after reading two reviews on this forum, they were better detailed in the content, the quality and also the fact one reviewer tried very hard to find something critical, this is the sort of honesty we need, these releases are good, but also very expensive so 100% honesty and accuracy including full running times are a must. For a Christmas trailer reel i dont need to be told its "colourful

The following members like this: Paul Browning and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

Last edited 01.03.2022 | Top

RE: Christmas Trailer reel 3?????

#2 by Greg Perry , Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:35 am

Tom,

Yes, it is nice to know the length of the trailers. Teasers just don't have the same impact as the full-length theatrical trailer. All of us here are in support of anyone who is actively promoting the hobby by putting out new releases or other initatives. Of course, it is also OK to ask questions and have opinions which differ in ways from other folks here or elsewhere. That certainly doesn't equate to "not supporting" something, at least in my book.

I may have been confused as I thought Christmas Trailer Reel #2 had "Home Alone", rather than Home Alone 2. Surprisingly, I don't think I have seen Home Alone 2 myself.

100% in agreement that the next trailer reel should include Christmas Vacation, Scrooged, and maybe "A Christmas Story" or "The Santa Clause" with Tim Allen, or even Home Alone (the original). I know that Home Alone is out on Super 8 already, but I have had no luck getting a print so perhaps there are too few to go around? I have never seen Polar Express which I need to do as I have heard some good things about it. I would also be intrigued by the VistaVision "White Christmas" trailer as a possibility.

As far as print reviews, I have always enjoyed reading Keith Wilton's take on things as he seemed fair and honest and he often had some interesting thoughts in addition to details about the edit etc. So those types of reviews are what I prefer. The letter grades are difficult and can be inconsistent so I don't pay a ton of attention to those, as some of the evaluation criteria is necessarily subjective, despite honest efforts by a reviewer to be objective.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#3 by Tom Photiou , Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:15 pm

I agree with what you say Greg, im certainly not knocking the trailer reel itself, only the very vague review it recieved, originally in August Lee popped up that home alone was to be on it not number 2. Having said that, the second was pretty good. It was 3 onward that were just awful and as for the recent remake, forget it. Fortunatly i do have the Derann trailer for the original.
It iss a pity kieth isnt reviewing these new releases as well, perhaps he is in the magazine that CHC puts out?

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

Last edited 01.04.2022 | Top

#4 by Graham Sinden , Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:27 pm

Tom,

I have already ordered this trailer reel from Steve Osbourne and it should be sent out to me in another 6 days or so after sound recording is done so should get it in 2 weeks or sooner hopefully. I was always going to get it as I love the Christmas Trailers no.1 reel and it's my most watched Christmas film, just love it. But like you I did look up the trailers on Youtube and have to agree with you the Terminator style opening trailer of Jingle is quite short and sadly lacks a 'Christmas' feel about it unlike the longer trailer but there's nothing we can do about it now. As for the others if what I was looking at on Youtube is correct, the Jim Carrey scrooge trailer should be the best on there with fantastic flying scenes. And the New Years Eve Trailer also looks good and is long (again assuming I was looking at the trailer which is on the reel) and has nice (but short) clips of New York lit up, nice to have on Super 8 and never seen or heard of this film before so a bit unusual to me but will create a nice ending to the reel.

As for total length it appears good news as there is a spare copy being sold on Ebay from you know who and the reel shown is quite full, more full than Christmas Trailers No.1 so that should give you an idea. According to the review on the other site there is also daysets etc. which there are no photos but this would bulk out the running time a bit. Overall should be good and looking forward to receiving my copy to add to my Xmas Reel No.1.

It's easy to criticize releases like this but I have no idea how these are made. For example are the trailers themselves held in the German Lab or have Steve Osbourne sourced the trailers and sent everything to the German lab. I assume some of the daysets have come from the reviewer himself and sent to Steve. At the end of the day someone has to put this all together and create a negative, unless it's done digitally these days, not sure. As for the trailer choices it's basically whats available and that Terminator style Jingle trailer may be all he had and sourcing a longer one is difficult.

As for Christmas Trailer No.3 if we get it (should do as these have been good sellers). I agree with the choices above any trailers with a good 'Christmas' look about them and snow will be good. I'd prefer the modern films as these are great to show to a new audience on whats available on Super 8 these days. I already have the White Christmas reel Derann put out which is great but let's see new Christmas trailers which have never been on Super 8 before. Whatever trailers are put on Trailers No.3 I would probably still buy it as it's bound to be a very repeatable reel (even outside of Christmas ).

Graham S

Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

#5 by Tom Photiou , Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:56 pm

Graham, thank you very much for your reply, i hope more reply's will follow from others,
I do wish to make it clear that i am not criticising the new Christmas reel. quite the opposite, Like you, these are among my favourite items, anything Christmassy from a trailer, to a full film are among my favourites for their look and the good mood they can put you in.
The only thing i am critical of is the review. It doesn't contain the sort of information potential buyers need to know.
Clearly Lee may have dropped a bollock in error on August 24th as his announcement for the upcoming release reads,
Christmas Trailer Reel # 2
ARRI visual projector text card, New Odeon Opener, Dolby Daysets Trailers: Home Alone, Jingle all the way, Christmas Carol animated and New Years Eve".

As you see, it states Home Alone, not Home alone 2, though i will add, HA2 is actually pretty good so i dont have a problem with it as i have the original Derann HA trailer. It doesnt state Jingle all the way is the short teaser.
All new releases are very welcome, (im wearing that fraise out), BUT, a review must be accurate, the running time should be in there for each trailer and above all, the titles of the trailers needs to be correct, (how many pre orders have there been where the buyer is expecting the original and best Home alone trailer?)
Another member has added a constructive criticism which is that the images seem to be bias toward yellow and blue, if you know the scrooge film with Jim Carrey you will spot this right away, BUT, it will still look great on the our big screens. Personally, a full length jingle all the way while doing away with New year would have made it a great reel wink]
Steve Osborne has done, and continues to do our hobby a whole world of good with everything he does along with DB.

Graham Sinden sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#6 by Graham Sinden , Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:12 pm

Thanks for your reply Tom.

I would be surprised if Keith Wilton didn't review all these american releases even though he is featured in a CHC magazine, but as I don't receive this magazine anymore I have no way of telling unless someone says or puts a scan on here of reviews he does do.

Yes I also remember that original advert that Lee put up mentioning about the trailers on the new reel but I can forgive him as it may have been an oversight he never corrected until late December and maybe things weren't finalised yet. I personally would rather have Home Alone 1 rather than 2 but since you already have the Derann print of Home Alone 1 you might be rather pleased . I've also learned over the years to take what he says with a pinch of salt, particularly his Ebay sales .

I'm also pleased to have the New Years eve trailer (if it's the long one) as it's a film that is new to me and looks good (although not sure I want to see two pregnant bellies touching each other ). As for the Jingle trailer it will still be nice to have even the shorter version. The one on Ebay does carry a Dolby sticker so maybe this Dolby advert is on the reel but not mentioned properly in the recent review. Hopefully Christmas Trailers No.3 will come out and be even better, but like I said before it most probably depends on what is available at the time.

Cant wait to receive my copy .

Graham S

Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

#7 by Tom Photiou , Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:44 pm

My name is up for one as well, (yes i do support new releases), however, while i am sure number 2 will be fine, knowing the longest trailer is the worst film i will be very careful in future to ensure i read other reviews before i get too excited, the hobby is way too expensive for lame reviews and inaccuracies.
But isn't it funny, once again, despite banging on about ebay before Blackpool, here is a brand new copy of a new release to sell before Steve O has been able to get the orders out, that seems wrong to me, so instead of going for the fixed price on the forums for the correct asking price for what i believe he terms as, "reel collectors" (), it is being put up on ebay for maximum cash, the very place he described as "where ridiculous high prices are commanded". I have no problem with that myself, but at least i admit it.
I would have thought the seller may have put a link up on the forum/s but i cant see one.

Heres to Christmas reel number 3, i hope others put their suggestions here so i can forward them on, so far, there has been very little interest shown, i know there are one or two members who have other things on their minds right now but i can see how many people have viewed this but only a handful have replied.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#8 by Mark Mander , Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:20 am

Here's my reply,I'm not going to purchase the trailer reel, it's just too much cost wise and I can't justify it, I'd rather buy a feature or wait for something I do want, I too have bought some of the new releases but the price then import duties and post its just not worth it for such a short piece of film however good it is, for those that do buy it I hope you enjoy it , it's a bit like my vinyl collection these days, I have to really like an album to pay the price ,it's a lot cheaper on CD as films are on DVD etc, I'll keep getting bargains at the carboot sale as I will at the film fairs, i know prices quoted have been mentioned that with inflation the price is the same, yes that's true but at that time there wasn't other ways of watching films, as much as I love the hobby I have to be realistic, Mark

Tom Photiou likes this
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

Last edited 01.05.2022 | Top

#9 by Tom Photiou , Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:49 am

They are expensive Mark. That's why when i read some of the posts elsewhere stating that everyone should support the hobbys new releases, i get a little annoyed as clearly some people think we have an endless bank account and also, everyone likes all the films they release.
We have to really want the titles these days be able to buy them so the subject matter on offer at present isnt for me.
Unfortunatly, some of the hype being put up is so over the top i will have to wait to hear other reviews in future. The mistake of the trailer title, while a genuine mistake, will make me think before my name goes on the list until it is actually released.
I think allowing a copy to go out on ebay before everyones has had thers delivered is not good for the hobby.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#10 by Mark Mander , Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:48 pm

I'd like to support the new releases as we all would but as you say Tom we can't like every title, the new Werewolf release isn't my thing and with a 9 minute running time(11 with the trailer) it's a lot to fork out with post and import duties for a title.

I think a good review is essential too, it is about sales at the end of the day so collectors need to know as much as possible and exactly what your getting, if you don't want any criticism its easily avoided, Mark

Tom Photiou likes this
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#11 by Tom Photiou , Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:00 pm

Defiantly,
Thats why i think if there's a 3rd xmas reel, those titles mentioned would be more desirable.
And maybe someone else doing a review as well could help, otherwise every review is going to be exactly the same.

As a thought, a Christmas horror trailer reel may also appeal to some, black xmas being the only one i know but watching Mark Kermode's Christmas film programme a few weeks ago there are quite a few horror xmas movies and many of them looked quite good.
i still prefer the ones suggested at the start of this thread though.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

Last edited 01.05.2022 | Top

Step back/ Blackpool 1993
First ever video interview with Dave Baker now online!

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor