Lost in space and Cartoon, Deputy Dawg, pixie & Dixie Popeye

#1 by Tom Photiou , Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:06 pm

Tonight was a mixed bag of cartoons for starters and the first episode of Lost in Space, The reluctant Stowaway.
First up was a 200ft colour sound copy of Pixie and Dixie in Judo Jack, followed by a Derann copy of Popeye in Double cross at country race, and then a double reel containing two rare 200ft cartoons of Deputy Dawg, Shotgun Shambles and the Yokes on you.
After the cartoons we viewed our copy of the Lost in space episode, The Reluctant stowaway which, along with the second ever episode, (not on 8mm) is probably the best two of them all.
All of the above cartoons have excellent, unfaded colours and good sound, one of the two Deputy Dawgs is a little over recorded while the other one does suffer with variations in volume, but both are perfectly fine to view.
For screenshots of LIS please look here if you are interested,

Lost in Space The reluctant stowaway.3 x 400ft b/w sound

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan, Eivind Mork, Paul Browning and Tim Duncan

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

RE: Lost in space and Cartoon, Deputy Dawg, pixie & Dixie Popeye

#2 by Greg Perry , Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:11 am

Tom,

Nothing like some classic cartoons to start things off. I have got to think that Lost in Space episode is incredibly rare. I don't recall seeing that up for sale on Super 8 before in my short stint in the hobby.
Hopefully, no one in your viewing audience was upset or offended by all the cartoon 'violence'.... 😉

Tim Duncan likes this

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#3 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:53 am

I know that Perry's Movies advertised the "Lost in Space" episode in one of their old booklets as an import from America, I think it was a Reel Images release.

Greg Perry sais Thank You!
Barry Attwood

#4 by Tom Photiou , Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:18 pm

Cheers Barry,
Is that reel image as in, Steve Osborne? If so i may send a message to ask if he can tell me more. Aside this copy, i have never seen it on any lists in my 40+ years of collecting. I was gobsmacked at winning it at the price i did but as you can imagine, i was more than pleased.

Greg, yes all good on the cartoons, no one offended or upset, not even at the stereo typing of the Japanese judo mouse in Pixie and Dixie, joking of course. Good classic cartoons that dont appear to be repeated on the telly anymore. Love those deep south American accents in Deputy Dawg. I will keep an eye open for a 16mm print of a DD. I suspect most will either be faded or b/w.

Popeye, if i am honest, is not my favourite cartoon. This is my Brothers but he is a character i never really took to. Sadly, this one does not have Bluto and Olive Oil so it feels like something is missing.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 09.17.2021 | Top

#5 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:45 am

Dear Tom,

I don't think that particular "Reel Images" had anything to do with Steve Osborne, as it was around from the 1970's, just a coincidence!

Barry Attwood

#6 by Tom Photiou , Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:55 am

Thanks for the information Barry, i would have thought that a fair few prints were sold of this title, while the print is good the contrast is a tad brighter than it should be, but never the less, a good print.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 09.18.2021 | Top

#7 by Eivind Mork , Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:37 pm

A nice few cartoons there! If I ever had to choose just one category in my collection, it would be the cartoons for sure!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#8 by Paul Browning , Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:00 pm

I think the terry tunes get over looked a bit, there were every bit a part of my early learning years. I love deputy dawg with musky and vince, and also pink panther and the inspector cartoons, these were just as violent as tom and jerry, but they are cartoons for gods sake, if grown ups can't understand that with all this woke nonsense, we are "doomed captain Mannering , doomed ...........

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#9 by Tim Duncan , Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:49 pm

Nice looking prints Tom!

Tim Duncan
Date registered 05.21.2018
ThankYou 39

Poltergeist
Trailer mix, Pacino, Disney, Scorsese