My Bulge is about to get a new lease of life

#1 by Tom Photiou , Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:55 pm

No not that one,
I recently reviewed my scope copy of Battle of the Bulge, you may recall that it was a little shorter than the original release, however, as much as i dont to restore all of the footage due to some of it being pointless, such as the intermission music, but there was some i did wish to sort. Now i have the means to do so, and here are a few screenshots of the said scenes including the attack on the town where the Germans capture it and the American soldiers who were defending it. Now, once edited in, i will have an excellent scope print of this action war movie. As always, what you cant see here is just how vivid those colours are,

The following members like this: Eivind Mork, Robert Crewdson, Mark Mander, Gwyn Morgan and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

Last edited 08.06.2021 | Top

RE: My Bulge is about to get a new lease of life

#2 by Greg Perry , Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:08 am

Tom,

Good one there!
Are these scenes of the restored footage (Marco)? If so, another example of how good these replacement bits are. Well worth the wait, effort and cost to restore or complete a print, I think. 👍

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

Last edited 08.07.2021 | Top

#3 by Robert Crewdson , Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:40 am

That's a super looking print.

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#4 by Tom Photiou , Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:39 am

Greg, yes this is the new print, BTW who's Marco?

Another real film restored, (almost) and once again, i dont know how this happens but frame and focus appears to be the same, no adjustment required which is weird considering I've bought features on super 8 where the frame or focus on two parts of the same film is different. We know why that is, super 8 was a business, all about profit, the dealers sold films on different stocks.
While going off topic to my own thread, it still gripes my nuts that they must have known they were using fast fade crappy Eastman stock for profit building while us collector's were never told, and those films were well expensive in the day. Fast fade stocks should never have been used except for hire copies of 8 and 16mm, someone somewhere would have known that in 10 to 20 years or so the film would be rendered useless as far as colour is concerned, they would have also know about the forthcoming VHS and other formats arriving and probably thought everyone would move on. Derek Simmonds himself told people that film was finished and persuaded many to sell up and convert. Thats well documented by people who did and wished they hadn't. Pleased to say, i never left the hobby in over 4 years. BUT i do use DVD and Blu ray, why wouldn't you? Indeed, back on topic, its thanks to todays technology that we can restore our real film prints.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

Last edited 08.07.2021 | Top

#5 by Gwyn Morgan , Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:07 pm

Excellent replacement footage,makes such a difference especially when it matches the rest of the print so well makes the expenditure all the the more worthwhile,such a shame no one does the job in the U.K.
Again an excellent print there Tom.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 275

#6 by Tom Photiou , Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:23 pm

Cheers Gwyn, it is a great match to the original.

Gwyn Morgan likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

Green scratches, Water improvement
Whats a good price to start at?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor