WRGB-TV: "Introduction to Television"

#1 by Greg Perry , Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:23 pm

I think the title of this is actually "Sightseeing at Home", but on my print the titles are missing. This was put together by General Electric (GE) and it shows how Albany, NY television station, WRGB broadcasts television. WRGB started broadcasting in 1942 and is still at it today. Based on the date code of the print, I believe this is from 1945.

The purpose is to show how television actually works, and how WRBG is able to broadcast live events via the television network into the homes of TV watching families. It also serves a tiny bit as an 'infomercial" for GE's television station equipment. I find these historical films really interesting...(Print is sharper than pics indicate..as is typical with my snaps...)

Eivind Mork likes this

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

RE: WRGB-TV: "Introduction to Television"

#2 by Robert Crewdson , Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:03 pm

Another rare print; yes, it's very interesting because everything has changed since that was made.

Greg Perry likes this

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#3 by Tom Photiou , Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:30 am

Greg those rare prints you have are also in very good condition, where do you find these?

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

#4 by Eivind Mork , Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:34 pm

Very cool release! And how fascinating to read about a print on a computer that explains what Television is :-) These days we need to explain what film is...

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Greg Perry

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#5 by Greg Perry , Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:00 pm

Tom,

This was a recent ebay listing which I stumbled across. It was paired with a silent short (w/ music soundtrack) about the life of inventor Thomas Edison. I have a few documentary films about Edison so that bit was also of interest. I will admit this type of purchase is just a throw of the dice as to what you may get. But at least with B/W one can eliminate the red fade from the list of possible defects. It is pretty apparent the seller was not a film collector and was just selling off various estate-type items.

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

The Great Gildersleeve
The Wicked Lady

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor