The Great Gildersleeve

#1 by Greg Perry , Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:11 pm

Last night I watched "The Great Gildersleeve", a B&W comedy from 1942. This is an amusing family-friendly film with its humor based on the various characters' exploits, clever dialogue, and excellent writing. Harold Peary plays Throckmorton Gildersleeve, a good-hearted chap who always seems to get into trouble. The Great Gildersleeve was originally a radio show which ran from 1941 into the 50's. Radio success led to his appearances in several movies, including four starring-role features. Gildersleeve was known for his trademark laugh. Steve Osborne had this on one of his recent lists. The print has a couple of jump splices but otherwise is pretty clean and sharper than these pics indicate. For those who are interested in listening to a few free samples of the radio show, try this link: https://www.greatgildersleeve.com/listennow.php

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, Robert Crewdson and Eivind Mork

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

RE: The Great Gildersleeve

#2 by Robert Crewdson , Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:00 pm

I have heard of the character, but that's all. Sounds like a rare print?

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#3 by Greg Perry , Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:08 pm

Hi Robert,

Most likely there are not a lot of these prints around, as I don't think it is a very popular film title. This print was a "C&C" print made for TV broadcast, so not a true theatrical print. Apparently C&C bought out RKO in the 1950's and then sold packages of titles to television stations for rebroadcast. At least that is what I recall reading. I have only seen a couple other Gildersleeve titles up for sale in the past few years.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Robert Crewdson

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#4 by Robert Crewdson , Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:50 pm

Yes, that's correct about C&C reissuing RKO prints for TV.

Greg Perry sais Thank You!

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

Buster Keaton...The Railrodder (1965)
WRGB-TV: "Introduction to Television"

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor