Thats Carry on, 800ft Colour sound, Derann & Walton prints on one spool

#1 by Tom Photiou , Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:26 pm

Everyone likes a good carry on film. We only have a couple of these titles, (Cleo, Walton 4x400, Up the Khyber, 600ft, and carry on abroad, Derann 4 x 400).

Tonight i viewed this mix a and match which is actually, a very good 1200ft compilation from the 1977 film, Thats Carry on.
This is simply part one of the full feature joined together with the 3 x 200ft extracts from Walton. To be honest, i think this works very well. The reason being, the snippet's between the extracts with Barbera Windsor and Kenneth Williams are not really that funny and at times, are bit embarrassing to watch. As this only contains part one of the feature, those short pieces between the clips are short lived but with the full intro and titles, plus a bit of Babs and Ken, it does give you a feeling at the end that you have seen the compilation movie rather than just short extracts. The Walton parts dont contain any of the Windsor/Williams clips.
Condition is good with the part one reel having a single line that comes and goes, but is for the most part, clear. The Walton extracts are also very good, if anything, the walton parts do have a better contrast than the Derann pt 1 but they all join onto one spool very well making this a fun 48 minutes. (The Derann pt 1 was not a full reel, in fact it fitted onto a full 400ft spool)
If anyone has the full feature of Thats Carry on, i wouldn't mind knowing where reel one actually ends as i bought ours an odd part but i noted that the tail was spliced on before i edited it together with the Walton parts.
Colour is excellent throughout as is the sound.

Sorry, the images are not in the order of the film.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson, Eivind Mork, Martin Dew and Gwyn Morgan

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 04.05.2021 | Top

RE: Thats Carry on, 800ft Colour sound, Derann & Walton prints on one spool

#2 by Greg Perry , Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:40 am

Great pics Tom! I have to admit I have never even seen one of the "Carry On's..." I don't think they were well known here in the US--but it does seem like the silly/innocent saucy humor that I tend to enjoy.
I may have to see if I can stream one to watch.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson, Tom Photiou and Martin Dew

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#3 by Robert Crewdson , Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:42 am

Great compilation there Tom; Carry on Abroad is a good film.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#4 by Tom Photiou , Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:55 am

Greg, if you havnt seen one before, Carry on Cleo is a good one, along with Screaming and Dont lose your head. Everyone will have their own favourites, it is the old postcard humour but i always laugh whenever i watch them.
This compilation film is good but for a first viewing, one of the movies themselves would be better. I have no idea how these did in the States, not very well from what i understand but then, the humour, (especially back when these were made), was completely different to ours. I watched a programme once about Monty Pythons flying circus, when it first viewed in the states they just didn't get the humour, but now i understand there is quite a US following. Is there a carry on fan group in the States? The confessions films that followed were also of the same silly humour but these went much further, i thought a couple of them were funny, especially confessions of a driving instructor. These were often described as "Carry on films with tits and bums".
Regarding this title we recently viewed, there are a couple of parts within the Walton 200 footers that have little snips that are usually taken out when shown on TV due then usually being transmitted during the daytime. Again, cuts that take away a part of the humour. They are literally only a second or two but in this day age it really seems ridiculous.

Greg Perry sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#5 by Robert Crewdson , Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:11 pm

Carry on Camping was voted the favourite of the series, and it's my favourite. Carry on Henry is another good one. You should make an effort to watch these Greg. If you like Benny Hill you will enjoy these. I have bought a number of British films on Ebay in the US, and noticed that there isn't much interest in them, so I have been fortunate to get them.

Tom Photiou likes this
Greg Perry sais Thank You!

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#6 by Tom Photiou , Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:24 pm

Carry on Henry was made very soon after the Hollywood production at Pinewood of Anne of a thousand Days. It was going to be titled Anne of a thousand lays, fortunately they lept the carry on title. A lot of the costumes for the Hollywood production were still at Pinewood so they took full advantage, this is one of the reasons the film looks as good as it does. In fact, Sid James wears the very same cloak that Richard Burton wore in the Hollywood movie.

Greg Perry likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#7 by Gwyn Morgan , Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:05 pm

Very nice compilation one there Tom,one of my favourites is “Carry On Spying “.

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#8 by Tom Photiou , Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:13 pm

As old as i am, i dont think i have seen half of the carry on films. Defiantly not seen spying, sergeant, constable among many others but equally, not interested in carry on Emmanuelle and Columbus.
When they did Columbus in 1992 it was pretty obvious that there was no way it would work. The short parts i did see were just not funny.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#9 by David Skillern , Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:28 pm

Hi Tom,

i have the box set on dvd - but i do have Sergeant, Screaming and up the khyber full length on super 8 as well as 4x400ft of Camping, Abroad, Up the Jungle and Cleo and the 400ft of Matron and Ivers 2x400ft of Emmanuelle - Columbus has one really good belly laugh and its delivered by one of the original cast members from Matron - Jack Douglas

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson, Greg Perry and Tom Photiou
David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

Lost in Space, 3 x 400ft.
Tom & Jerry - Casanova Cat

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor