The Sound of Music, Full feature, scope.

#1 by Tom Photiou , Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:43 pm

I dont think i need explain anything about this movie. A classic musical that was released first time around as a 400ft condensed version from the USA and many years later as a full scope feature by Derann. As well as this they also produced a 3 x 600ft version in scope along with the full title sequence as a separate release for people to splice onto the beginning of the shorter version. There was also a 200ft sequence released and a long scope trailer which we also have.
This was a film my Brother bought many years ago off a second hand list. The film was supplied to us already mounted onto 3 x 1200ft spools in hard plastic cases and we have obviously kept this way ever since
A top quality print from Derann with first class colour, image and sound. As you know this release also came complete with its intermission section containing the title and some music. This is one of those films i have never had any interest in watching until it was bought and viewed on the scope screen. I have not, and will not view it on on a TV screen as the scenery of this film as well as musical sequences demand the scope screen. This is the only way to watch this movie.

The following members like this: Mark Mander, Martin Dew, Gwyn Morgan and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

RE: The Sound of Music, Full feature, scope.

#2 by David Skillern , Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:49 pm

Hi Tom,

Ive got this print in its original boxes - watched it once - need to see it again soon - and i totally agree - this one isnt one to watch on the tv.

David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#3 by Tom Photiou , Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:52 pm

Out of curiosity, how long have you had it?

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#4 by Mark Mander , Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:35 pm

I have it too and like David I have watched it once, and that was to put it into stereo, i also had the 3x600 but sold it, i also have the 200 footer Do Re Mi which i have watched about 3 times plus the trailer which is nice and long, Mark

Tom Photiou likes this
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#5 by David Skillern , Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:44 pm

Tom,

Ive had the print around 9 years

David Skillern  
David Skillern
ThankYou 71

#6 by Tom Photiou , Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:40 pm

Its mad where the time goes dont you think? It's one of the reasons we are trying to slim down on 8mm numbers now so we do actually try and see all the films we have whenever we can.
As yours has only been viewed once its pretty much in new condition. The good thing is its a title that wont have fade, im sure these are all on low fade stock.

After Christopher Plummer died i was surprised to learn that he wasn't happy to have done Sound of Music and found the whole experience of the making the movie as an unpleasant one except for Julie Andrews.

Graham Sinden likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#7 by Mark Mander , Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:51 pm

Some of the 3x600 releases of this title have shown fade Tom, I was surprised, the copy I had did have a red hue on the dark scenes, I cant comment on my feature as it's been a while, I also have some odd reels from the feature which I should check ,Mark

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#8 by Martin Dew , Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:56 pm

I have a print too, 6 x 600ft (scope/mono) in original boxes, which I bought three years ago. Absolutely beautiful print and I played it again in January.

The contrast is absolutely stunning, shown clearly in Tom's pics. Also, check out the deep blacks and shadows set against the orange window lights in 'How do you solve a problem like Maria?' near the start. Much as I love 4K video with high dynamic range, there is simply no digital or electronic film format that can create that kind of three-dimensional experience.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson, Gwyn Morgan, Greg Perry and Tom Photiou

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#9 by Tom Photiou , Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:21 pm

Thank you, Mark, i am surprised to hear that the shorter version may be showing signs of fade. I now wonder if any other features do as well, especially as this was released before hand.
Martin, i agree, i havnt really seen the 4K in action, but the blu ray is a fantastic image but real film always wins over for us.
The last time i went to the pictures i said to my Son, the picture is great but you can see it just isn't real film any more. One thing that sticks out is that it's simply surgically clean, it is like watching a giant TV.
What the images cant show on here is the brightness of the image, how sharp it is and as an example, that intermission on screen is bright yellow. Not too sure why my camera never picks this up.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson, Gwyn Morgan and Martin Dew

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 03.06.2021 | Top

#10 by Gwyn Morgan , Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:09 am

I’ll join this one as I too have a copy,but it’s 16mm on4 x 1600 scope ,colour with intermission.
What more can I say other than to agree you can’t beat seeing it on the big screen .
This one is a keeper in my book 😀

The following members like this: Martin Dew, Tom Photiou, Robert Crewdson and Greg Perry

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#11 by Robert Crewdson , Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:56 am

What a great film to have in 16mm, Gwyn.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#12 by Tom Photiou , Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:20 pm

Very nice in 16 Gwyn. While the 8mm print is excellent the pin sharpness of a 16mm print would be even better.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Gwyn Morgan
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#13 by David Skillern , Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:54 pm

Tom,

Going back to an earlier point you made re the downsizing of your 8mm prints so that you can actually watch what you have - I should start doing it myself - especially when i see prints that ive got going for silly money on ebay and im not just talking of features. My problem is that I dont really want to part with anything - at the moment.

Robert Crewdson likes this
David Skillern  
David Skillern
ThankYou 71

#14 by Tom Photiou , Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:27 pm

I know what you mean, and to be honest, if you dont want to part with them, you shouldn't. No one should. The only reason i have sold off titles in the past was to keep the hobby self funding. The cost of films is expensive most of the time and unless your well off it cant come out of the household budget. For the past five years i have sold to buy, mostly buying 16mm films.
I know what you are saying regarding the prices titles go for, it can be ridiculous, however, many of the ones that end up as sold dont always get paid for.
Films like the one on this thread will not be sold to buy, these are the sort of titles to keep so hopefully, the collection we have ends up smaller but with the best quality prints left and the fading or fades prints gone. And i do appreciate that fading/faded prints are fine for many people but for me, when a print was bought with great colours and they begin to fade, watching them is no longer the same. I do use gels that Hugh Scott sent me a few years ago on occasion which helps a lot.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson, Martin Dew and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#15 by Graham Sinden , Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:40 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I know what you mean Tom about films sold but not always being paid for as I myself have just sold a feature but still not received the money for it. Most likely it will be relisted, but I don't know if any non paying bidders gets banned or fined by Ebay.

I'm also curious to know if Del has received payment for 'Grease' yet.

Graham S

Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

#16 by Tom Photiou , Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:36 pm

I think some people do take a while to pay. As i understand it, if an item is not paid then ebay does out a non payment strike against that users name. The other problem is that some people do have more than one user name. It would be interesting to know if grease did get paid for.
Should anyone not pay me,(its only happened once or twice so far) i do add them to a list of banned bidders. Im certain most people are ok, its as always, a few idiots.
It may be worth just dropping a mail to the buyer just to ask if they are definatly going to have the film. I've done that more than once.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#17 by Graham Sinden , Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:06 pm

I did send a message to the buyer (and Ebay did as well). All I got as an excuse was "It will not process completely. Please cancel this transaction. I appreciate your time, and patience." . That tells me they have changed their mind.

Graham S

Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

#18 by Eivind Mork , Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:29 am

Very nice screenshots of a great copy! I have added your review to Super8database, Tom for others to find too:
https://super8database.com/films/1463

And we miss the cover for this one, so would be happy for a picture if someone has one for us!

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

Last edited 03.08.2021 | Top

The Silencers. 400ft Colour Sound.
The Spirit of America

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor