Ebay dishonesty

#1 by Robert Crewdson , Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:18 pm

The last film I bought from Ebay didn't match the sellers description. I decided to leave Neutral rather than Negative feedback, as I had bought from the seller before and the films had always been as described. About three days after leaving feedback, I discover it as been removed. I learn't that this is fairly common. If the seller doesn't like your feedback they can request Ebay to remove it. Ebay don't offer an explanation to the poster, and it keeps the sellers feedback 100% positive.

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

RE: Ebay dishonesty

#2 by Paul Browning , Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:23 pm

Why am i not surprised Robert. Ebay don't want to upset there cash cow do they, so as the saying goes "buyer beware". I have promised myself this year that if anyone sells something to me "not as described", then it will go back to them for a refund. One such item will be sent back next week for this very same reason, i have had enough of the " chancers" on the forums and Ebay, some people live in a walter mittie world they really do, not with my money they won't, no way ...........

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson, Greg Perry and Martin Dew
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#3 by Robert Crewdson , Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:34 pm

You are also entitled to the cost of returning the item under the Distance Selling Regulations; but getting that is another matter.

Paul Browning likes this

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#4 by David Skillern , Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:47 pm

I think we all have to support each other in this hobby and if there is an issue with an ebay seller or ebay then collectors need to be notified - no one likes getting ripped of as i have said before this isnt a cheap hobby and when we part with hard earned cash - you expect fair play from the seller.

Paul Browning likes this
David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#5 by Robert Crewdson , Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:18 pm

Unfortunately, it seems that you have to pay for returns, I was wrong in my earlier statement. David, it''s put me off from buying anything else. Years ago I bought a feature from the US, and found it had VS. The seller has sold other VS films to unsuspecting buyers. In the advert it clearly said No VS. When I contacted him he said It would cost you money to return it'. His suggestion was to use a film cleaner to mask the smell.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#6 by David Skillern , Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:21 pm

Robert,

If this kind of practice carries on - people will be far too cautious to buy anything !

The following members like this: Paul Browning and Robert Crewdson
David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#7 by Paul Browning , Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:25 pm

There jokers Robert, and just because they on the other side of the world its used as an excuse to fob you off, its really bad business. I am of the mind to get on a plane with film, turn up at there doorstep, and hit them over the head with the feature, all three reels of it, they 'll get the message then won't they............

The following members like this: David Skillern and Robert Crewdson
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#8 by Clyde Miles , Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:59 pm

paul, i'd like to watch that, any one know who 'telefan' is on ebay? had a not very good transaction recently

Clyde Miles
Date registered 08.09.2015
home: bromsgrove, worcs, uk
ThankYou 19

#9 by Martin Dew , Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:21 am

It's worth noting that when a seller on eBay says 'returns not accepted' this does not hold up. Buyers who sell faulty or not-as-described goods must accept returns, and eBay will refund you if the seller doesn't comply.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Tom Photiou

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#10 by Robert Crewdson , Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:05 am

That's true Martin. It would have cost me too much to return the film to the States.

Martin Dew likes this

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#11 by Martin Dew , Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:10 am

Yes, absolutely, Robert. I meant to add that it's very difficult to apply the rule to overseas returns!

Although, interestingly, did you ask eBay if they could refund you as part of their global insurance programme?

Robert Crewdson likes this

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#12 by Robert Crewdson , Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:20 am

No, I didn't know about that Martin. If it was not for the vinegar smell, you wouldn't know anything was wrong with the film. Clyde, the seller's real name should show up in either your Paypal account or your bank account.

Clyde Miles sais Thank You!

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#13 by Paul Browning , Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:56 pm

Like you Robert ,my previous purchase was also from the USA, and the return post would have been £100, which the seller would not pay. I offered to pay this, but he then said he could not afford to pay me back the money i'd payed for the feature, so as you can see why he needs to hit over the head with something, in my case the film. He was just avoiding returning anything, i then said i would return it anyway, he offered me a measily $40.00, and then $70.00 still not enough i told him. I never contacted him again. Be honest with me if selling, or i'm coming for you, make no mistake........

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#14 by Robert Crewdson , Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:22 pm

It's all wrong that buyers should have to pay return postage for something that not described properly. Some can be a mistake, but others probably hope that you find it too costly or inconvenient to go about returning the item.

Paul Browning likes this

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#15 by Paul Browning , Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:37 pm

I agree Robert 100%. This seller advertised it on ebay, and then sent an email saying "are you a member of one of the forums ?, and then coerces you into buying it off ebay, as he says " to save the ebay costs", as this maybe correct for him, and given that he reduced the actual "price" to reduce the custom charge, all this is lost to you when the the feature is damaged beyond cleaning would save it. So a clever con, and then to say " i can't afford to pay you back, and having to send it back at your expense, there's only one winner. So if any one offers it without some cover from ebay its a "NO" from me now................

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#16 by Robert Crewdson , Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:45 pm

Sorry about that Paul. You would think that he must have been aware of damage. It''s one you will have to write off.

Paul Browning sais Thank You!

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#17 by Paul Browning , Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:00 pm

I have Robert, he even put photo's up to show how good the film was......... before the emulsion scratch for 5 minutes. Oh yes Robert he new alright, a despicable bare faced liar too....

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#18 by Tom Photiou , Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:00 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

This is the down side of eBay and unfortunately, a lot of people advertise films (as everyone knows), as untested or from my late relatives collection, or i dont have the equipment to test it on. And some of the worst offenders actually put up images that are not from the film, many of them clearly copied and pasted from the internet.
Whenever i sell i always use screenshots taken a day or two, (often on the same day) as i list them. If they have scratches be they black or green i try and show the best and worst of the print, i list the condition of the print the sound and colour as three separate paragraphs. I think this way it's listed the best way possible, its should give the potential buyer all the information they should require. I dont understand why people try it on and dont expect customers to report to ebay.

Robert Crewdson likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

Last edited 01.25.2021 | Top

#19 by Greg Perry , Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:46 pm

Tom,

You are one of the small group of film sellers that is honest and thorough in the approach of selling a film. I guess it boils down to a person choosing to be greedy, or a member of the film collecting community that treats others how he/she would want to be treated. I have been burned by some frequent US ebay film sellers who state "No vinegar" and when it shows up one can practically see the fumes coming out of the mailbox!
I have sent a few of these back if they were more costly. If it was a cheaper film, then it is barely worth sending it back if I have to eat the return shipping cost. I can certainly see how problematic/costly this becomes for an overseas buyer on either side.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Tom Photiou
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#20 by Robert Crewdson , Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:06 pm

Tom is totally honest in his descriptions. I thought hard before leaving any feedback; I was going to say nothing, but the seller claimed the film was excellent, with excellent picture and sound. It was none of these things. If they had watched the film they they knew the description wasn't accurate. I didn't expect Ebay to remove my comments, which were fair without being nasty.
Some years ago I bought a rare feature from the seller who sold me the VS film, he has a reputation for poor packing. The film was advertised on 2x 1600ft spools; when it arrived the film was sticking out of the packaging, which was just two sheets of cardboard taped at the edges. Worse was, one of the spools was 1200ft, so 400ft of film was hanging over the edge. My worry was the possibility of cinch marks.. I think it managed to escape that. I carefully transferred the film to a 1600ft spool. The next time I purchased from the same seller, I mentioned what happened and asked him to ensure the film was securely packed; adding that a damaged film is no good to me. and no good to you if I return it.
Whenever I have sold anything, I always pack as well as I can to ensure it arrives in the condition sent out. You have to put yourself in the buyers position. If some of these sellers had a real love of film they would make sure they were properly packed, and the edges taped down.

The following members like this: Paul Browning and Greg Perry
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

Last edited 01.25.2021 | Top

#21 by Gwyn Morgan , Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:05 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I purchased a copy in good condition no advertised problems of The French Connection from the USA,and it wasn’t cheap.
Well you guessed it the film was pink and was in the throws of VS.I did not leave any feedback,although having contacted the seller which was a total waste of time as all the costs were coming my way.
Watched it once and binned it.Once bitten as they say.I have bought from the states since and to be fair no further problems but I am more careful now.In my mind eBay is a means to an end but it’s only the money they are interested in,if possible like most of us I deal with people I have had good dealing with.
Tom from whom I have had a couple of films is a true film gent if only everyone was like him.
I know I may be opening a can of worms ,but there a section on this site that only members can see if they sign in where comment etc may be made regarding persons who sell on eBay.I appreciate this would have to be at the behest of the administrators and may well not be a good idea.On the other hand turn it on its head and have a section where you could say “Joe Bloggs” great eBay seller.
Food for thought.....just saying......🤪

The following members like this: Paul Browning and Robert Crewdson

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 275

#22 by Paul Browning , Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:22 pm

its an idea Gwyn, as you say it would add kudos to those selling like Tom and a few others who do describe there films with an accurate description with no hidden agenda's. Maybe a star rating, a bit like ebay, then you could build up a reputation for good sales and good clear descriptions........

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Gwyn Morgan
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#23 by Robert Crewdson , Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:44 pm

A very good idea.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#24 by Tom Photiou , Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:28 pm

I only had one bad deal so far, i bought what was advertised as "Beatles films on super 8". The image showed two 600ft spools in one cine book. I won it for £68 and when it arrived it was only one reel in the book, when i put it through the editor the film was the 400ft faded colour version of sound of music, a trailer full of scratches for the king and i and one Beatles trailer. I immediately contacted the seller who did have pretty good feedback, his response to my request at a return and refund was, "yeah whatever, i'll see you in court". After finishing laughing at that response i immediately contacted ebay who rapidly got me a refund for a product nothing like as described. The clowns are out there.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Martin Dew

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

#25 by Robert Crewdson , Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:10 pm

At least it ended well for you Tom.

Tom Photiou likes this

Robert Crewdson