The Sands Of Iwo Jima

#1 by Eivind Mork , Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:14 pm

Super 8, 200', b/w and silent.

The great thing about b/w films are that the there are no fade to worry about 😊 This copy has a cover in great shape, something I have become more and more fond of during the years. I don't watch a lot of silent films, but I have some. And I must say, after watching a lot of films and getting a bit tired, it is nice to sit in a quiet room for a bit too 😊

I guess most know this film, and John Wayne needs no instruction. I have always been fond of WWII fils. But maybe it is the age: I think more about the horrors of war when I watch films like this now, not just the strategic outcome of a battle. Some contrast to my Christmas cartoons got sure.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, Robert Crewdson and Gwyn Morgan

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

RE: The Sands Of Iwo Jima

#2 by David Skillern , Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:53 pm

Eivind,

Ive got the full length copy of this on Super 8mm - I bought it from Perry's and as I hadnt seen it before, I thought i'd take a chance as it was a John Wayne film and what a surprise it was - its an excellent picture with a strong central performance from Wayne.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork, Tom Photiou, Robert Crewdson and Gwyn Morgan
David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#3 by Eivind Mork , Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:30 pm

I have never seen the full feature, but I liked his performance in The Longest Day that I have on 16mm. Another great movie.

Robert Crewdson likes this

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#4 by Tom Photiou , Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:07 pm

Eivind, thanks for the review, we do still have a handful of standard 8 b/w silent films that got us into this hobby back in 1970.
The image was always very good.
The title reviewed here is a good one, it is one we have as a 4x400 feature reviewed here but im sure it is slightly edited.

Sands of Iwo Jima 2 x 800ft b/w sound

Among our old STD 8 silent's are the curse of the Mummy's tomb, a 50ft Hawk of the wilderness, (we almost bought the 200ft colour sound version but it sold before i acted),
a 50ft Dick Tracey Cartoon and a couple of others. I will dig them out later in the month or February and do a single quick review of them all in one review. Brother kept them as a permanent reminder of how our humble collection started.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 01.02.2021 | Top

#5 by Robert Crewdson , Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:48 pm

I'll bet 'The Longest Day' looks good on a big screen.

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#6 by Eivind Mork , Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:09 pm

It sure does. My copy has Danish subtitles. Danish is very similar to Norwegian, so I don't mind and it is easy to read for us.

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Robert Crewdson and Tom Photiou

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

The Guns Of Navarone
The Small One

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor