my new years resolution

#1 by Paul Browning , Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:34 pm

Sadly i have come to the conclusion that i have been conned too often by so called "forum members" when purchasing films. They are not always people off ebay either, they are forum members who appear to be genuine, with a description that does not match there "prized film" that they don't really want to sell. All trust is now lost for me, there are some liar's and smooth talking conmen. Whats more shameful is they appear to be "pillars" of the forum community, maybe they think that distance would stop someone like me not turning up one day to properly confront them with the evidence, which fro the best part they denied was actually there to start with because they have a spread sheet that says otherwise, utter cobblers. Beware anyone who asks if your a member of a forum, and then suggests it might be better to save the ebay fees, or is it so you have no recourse for a refund, beware of that person who shows you the bests bits, and fails to tell you about the green base scratches just a few minutes from where there photos where taken. Never again will i take someone word for it, that it is what it is, you will need to show me the whole thing. As for those i have purchased from, that i know, your all good. I am hoping for better things in the new year, and for that forum member you can go to hell, and don't bother coming back ...............

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

RE: my new years resolution

#2 by Tom Photiou , Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:43 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Blimy Paul, sounds like youve been well and truely done.
Ive purchased only a very few items from other members but im sure i know who i could and would trust. I only have a handful of titles that im after now but i understand what you say. I myself do have a faulty print i am selling on ebay. It is listed as such and i always try hard to ensure i mention any lines or faults. My faulty print did come from a dealer, you may also recall the copy of dr at large thread which also came from another dealer.
It certainly deflates you when you pay out and get something that dissapoints.
I have been very lucky with the private sales ive had as every print,both 8 and 16mm films have all been exactly as described and in some cases,even better.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#3 by Greg Perry , Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:47 pm

Paul,

I hate to hear when things like this happen. I am hopeful it is NOT one of our forum members here that was involved in this. It shouldn't come to this, but maybe it is time for all of us to spell out the details like return privileges within 'X' number of days etc., and who covers the cost of shipping a return etc. I guess I have always thought that even for private transactions that if you get a print that doesn't match the description there would always be implicitly the ability to return the film without issue. This would be the way two gentlemen/women members of the film collecting community should always approach things--not trying to unload damaged or misleading goods on the next fellow.....

I hope you are able to get this resolved to your satisfaction.

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#4 by Gwyn Morgan , Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:15 pm

Paul,
As said you must have been well and truly screwed over which is very sad to hear,one hopes it was not someone on this forum.I think all of us have been conned once or twice,but once bitten twice shy.I hope you got some redress regarding your purchase.I like other now only buy from sellers you know and trust.
Let’s hope things get better in the new year.

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#5 by Robert Crewdson , Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:59 pm

I've bought 2 films from a seller in the other forum, and neither were as described; I've also been told first hand about a problem with a film bought from from a respected member of that same forum. These people have been in the hobby long enough to know what they are selling. There have also been bad stories about some of the dealers at the various film fairs in London.

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#6 by Paul Browning , Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:12 pm

Thanks for all the messages of support on this very raw issue. I'm more angry than anything else for being duped by this moron. Believe me there would be some choice words for him if i even met him, he would go away with more than a flee in his ear. With all the pm's iv'e had, its more common than i would have believed, and this same theme of "forum member" or dealer keeps cropping up. I'm surprised, very surprised, they sound like "dodgy car salesmen " sharks circling waiting to move in for the kill. The thing is now, i'm so put off by this i will not play the film now, because it reminds me too much of how i was conned by a crook, a smooth talking conman, a bare face bloody liar........

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Gwyn Morgan
David Skillern sais Thank You!
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#7 by Paul Barker , Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:46 pm

anyone who gets a bad deal be it from a forum member. ebay or a dealer should name them. it's the only way of trying to be rid of them. the hobby can really do without such cheats and liars. yes i know we are buying used goods and what's good to one is poor to another. but really being totally mislead re an items condition is just not on.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Martin Dew
Paul Barker  
Paul Barker
Date registered 12.01.2015
ThankYou 45

#8 by Robert Crewdson , Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:35 pm

Can't you return it Paul.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#9 by Bill Phelps , Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:18 pm

Who is this seller....by not naming them while you are venting you are releasing some steam but they will continue and no one will know when they buy something from a forum member if it is the same seller.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson, Martin Dew, Gwyn Morgan and Don Cunningham

Bill Phelps
Date registered 05.22.2018
home: Massillon Ohio USA
ThankYou 54

#10 by David Skillern , Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:25 pm

Paul,

I hope you do name and shame them.

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and Robert Crewdson
David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#11 by Clyde Miles , Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:54 pm

name the s.o.b

Clyde Miles
Date registered 08.09.2015
home: bromsgrove, worcs, uk
ThankYou 19

#12 by Eivind Mork , Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:57 am

It is easy to identify with you, Paul on receiving a film that is not up to the standards we expected. We have all experienced that some time or another, and if it is a pricey film, it feels even worse. I wish you didn't have this bad experience.

I will, however, say that in a general I don't like it when I see more and more people ask for the release of the name. I have no idea who this person is, or if he/she is on our forum or the other forum. But whoever this might be, I don't think that putting someone in the pillory will be a good approach.

If this becomes the norm, there WILL be someone in the future that falsely blames others, and then this person will be put to blame publicly. I don't say this is the case here in any way, but I don't think we should make this the normal procedure for the future. It can quite possibly turn this forum into a battle arena that will prevent the original idea behind it; to share the joy of this hobby.

I would therefore suggest that this name is not put here publicly but rather leave it with Paul's original post where he shares his frustration of a deal he had. I am sure Paul's friends will learn who it is in other channels than this public site.

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#13 by Clyde Miles , Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:04 am

still name the s.o.b. we all have the right to know who this is.. to save any such bad transactions happening again.

Clyde Miles
Date registered 08.09.2015
home: bromsgrove, worcs, uk
ThankYou 19

#14 by Bill Phelps , Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:12 am

I understand what you are saying Eivind. It is just a shame because many will be left wondering who it is. But I don't normally buy films from forum members so I guess it doesn't really matter to me.

Bill Phelps
Date registered 05.22.2018
home: Massillon Ohio USA
ThankYou 54

#15 by Greg Perry , Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:39 am

It is only natural for people to want to know who is a good egg and who is a bad egg, but maybe more important than naming and shaming is seeing a resolution to the issue to Paul's satisfaction. The seller of course realizes that a man's reputation catches up to him quickly if there is a pattern of poor dealings. But It can also happen where there is a one-time oversight or honest mistake. If it is an oversight/mistake then the seller will resolve it very soon. It must not be forgotten to treat the other fellow how you would want to be treated if things were reversed. A reputation is a very important asset, especially in a small community of collectors...

Let's hope this is all cleared up soon....

Robert Crewdson likes this

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#16 by Paul Barker , Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:19 am

so a person deliberately deceives another and walks away from it all. NO NO NO. if this forum is to share the hobby and help one another it needs to point bad sellers out. otherwise we are letting one another down. in Pauls case he has tried to solve it with the seller. but the seller does not want to know. any decent seller will deal with you fairly and put things right if there is a problem. if this kind of thing isn't stamped out. it just gets worse and worse. in fact it will put people off the hobby instead of encourageing them.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and David Skillern
Paul Barker  
Paul Barker
Date registered 12.01.2015
ThankYou 45

#17 by Robert Crewdson , Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:00 am

I was going to agree with Greg's point, but seems Paul has already tried that avenue and it failed, so I agree with Paul Barker, to stop this from happening to someone else.These people are no friend of the hobby.

The following members like this: David Skillern and Paul Barker

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

Last edited 12.30.2020 | Top

#18 by David Skillern , Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:42 am

Robert,

I agree with your comments - this hobby isnt cheap and every collector who parts with their hard earned cash wants something as advertised and of course will get upset and frustrated if the film arrives and its not as promised. Dealers, whether they be members of a forum or not should have a duty of care to this hobby and fellow collectors otherwise - collectors will stop collecting and move over to other formats.

The following members like this: Paul Barker and Robert Crewdson
Robert Crewdson sais Thank You!
David Skillern  
David Skillern
ThankYou 71

#19 by Robert Crewdson , Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:26 pm

Totally agree David; it could cause new members to the hobby to give up and go digital for a fraction of the cost.

Paul Barker likes this

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#20 by Tom Photiou , Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:53 pm

May even cause older member to as well, i have thought about it more than once, my last two dealer purchases were poop to say the least, one ive just let go at a £13 loss on ebay to get shot of it. for £13 i could have bought to decent Blu ray movies which when projected up would be guaranteed quality. At present, i only want a couple more titles to add, preferably on 16, then i will be switching to run digital along side of what we have. I will only be buying cine when something i really want will come along

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#21 by Robert Crewdson , Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:15 pm

I've only had problems this year, and that has been with the last 3 of four purchases. It's got to the point where I'm feeling that I don't want to take chances on any more purchases, and just watch what I have, which is enough, especially combined wit my Super 8.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#22 by David Skillern , Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:23 pm

Im hoping that whoever the culprit is - they think on whats been said if they are a member of this forum and make a new years resolution to stop making a fast buck and screwing over collectors!

Robert Crewdson likes this
David Skillern  
David Skillern
ThankYou 71

#23 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:32 pm

I have noticed recently an increase in people joining various groups who as far as I can see by some of their comments have very little or no knowledge of what they are getting into.Such comments as “ I’ve got a projector and a film that came with it where do I get films from.”or just plain how do I thread this or that makes me wonder.
I ask this on this thread,rather than a new one,as aside from all the contributors to this thread,these newbies are leaving themselves wide open to accept any rubbish pushed their way.It’s such a shame that as David’s last comment says there are people out there just after a quick buck with no thought to the long term damage being done.
I also wonder if theses so called expert sellers are people who have been in the hobby a long time and now wish to get out by fair means or foul as the hobby can be all consuming and expensive,as most of us know.

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#24 by Tom Photiou , Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:35 pm

The bit i dont get is this, any new people to the hobby who are clearly using a computer to look on the internet, still cant seem to work out that all they need to do is type in, super 8 film dealer, and up they will pop!!
Mind you, if my last two purchases are anything to go by, perhaps thats not such a good idea

Gwyn Morgan and David Skillern say Thank You!

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#25 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:40 pm

Does make you wonder Tom.Almost makes you wary of anyone you don’t know.

Tom Photiou likes this

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

Strange problem with UPS
Merry Christmas

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor