Squeeky sound on my Elmo GS-1200

#1 by Eivind Mork , Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:09 pm

Yesterday we were going to watch some Christmas films (finally!!). The first to go was Mickeys Christmas Carol (I will make a separate post about that later). But as we started to watch, we had a very frustrating noise:

I have turned the treble up here, which made it very bad. Bu turning it down to min, it was better, but I won't watch films like that. It was only caused at the main track. Mickey's Christmas Carol is in Stereo, so I switch to the balance track and turned the other channel down and we were able to watch.

Needless to say, I was not happy. The next film was a mono track, and it was no fun watching. I tried to unplug some new appliances nearby that might cause noise, but no help. My wife reminded me that not long ago I was doing some recording. Maybe that was causing it? I turned down the volume on recording, and turned off the main knob for it (even though it won't start before you press a recording knobs in addition). But then I found the cause:

The switch for Double/Normal rec was set to normal. I switched to double where it had normally been, and voila! most of the noise was gone. There are traces left, but not much. Needless to say there are something inside there that needs replacement. I have planned to replace a condenser in there for the recording, and I suspect a condenser is dying in there somewhere. Do you have any other suggestions on what is going on in there?

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

Derann Catalogues
Eumig 820 Sonomatic

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor