Eumig 820 Sonomatic

#1 by Tom Photiou , Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:01 pm

This is the little Eumig i recieved the other day, as you can see it all appears to be very clean, the alloy bottom of the motor mounts are often corroded where they have been stored forever in a damp place or garage. This one is practically unmarked at all. The grease is all nice a oily rather than gooey so again, this seems all nice and loose. The lens is the standard 1.3 but brother does have the 1:2 so we can swop as and when. The bulb doesn't work, (as per advertisement), the bulb looks ok but i havnt done anything to it yet but i do have a new socket if it turns out to be that. I'll try another bulb first.
The second to last image shows the twin claw which for Eumig is good change.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson, Greg Perry and Martin Dew

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

RE: Eumig 820 Sonomatic

#2 by Robert Crewdson , Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:08 pm

Looks nice Tom; I just have the 810D, never looked at the claws to see how many there are.

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#3 by Greg Perry , Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:50 pm

Tom,

Is the problematic motor mount the green pyramid in the upper left of picture # 5?
Have you had a chance to confirm proper speed with the disc and ball arrangement?
Great pics--never knew there was a two claw variety of a Eumig. I know the single claw pin on models like the 807D is sometimes snapped off on the dual format models when a user fails to rotate the back knob to retract the claw prior to gate changes between formats...Of course, that is not relevant with this one here since it is Super 8 only as mentioned....

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Martin Dew

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#4 by Martin Dew , Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:52 am

Yes, the inching knob on the rear still has to be at the 12 o'clock position when removing the gate and pressure plate on this series too.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Tom Photiou
Greg Perry and Tom Photiou say Thank You!

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#5 by Maurice Leakey , Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:46 pm

The 800 series of Eumigs which are for Super 8 have two claws.
However, the dual gauge models only have a single claw as double claws would not fit both standard 8 and Super 8 perforations.

Maurice

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Tom Photiou and Robert Crewdson
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#6 by Tom Photiou , Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:09 pm

That makes sense Maurice,

Martin, spot on with the inching knob. I did check as always with the Eumigs and the dot is there. Out of habit on all machines i always make sure the claw is retracted before cleaning or taking gates out for cleaning.

Greg, I will still need to give this machine a good test, but as we are about to have some huge repairs done in the house first week of January, all my films and projectors but one are now upstirs and stacked in the spare bedroom. It's woken me up to how many films, 8 and 16 we have so i will need to continue selling off in the new year, ten for one replacement. I have no idea why i bought this machine other than it was cheap but very clean, the one i wouldn't mind at some point is the Sankyo 800. As my Daughter says she would like a projector i may let her look after this one as a starter for her in the new year.
I do belive that the green mount is the one thats a problem. I will clean up the rubber discs later and let you know how it goes.

The bulb is now orking fine, i did notice after removing the bulb the the alloy housing is little corroded so i will clean this up as best i can. Any ideas on the best cleaner for this?

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Martin Dew

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

Last edited 12.13.2020 | Top

#7 by Paul Browning , Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:33 pm

Makes perfect sense to have only one claw on the dual gauge machines, given that they have a set of cogs for both, the cogs pitch will set the distance at which it moves through the gate, plus the size of the film, and its position. Tom looking at your picture inside the 820, it looks like someone has used graphite grease on the plastic gears, although i think ok for the brass or metal gears, not the correct choice for these. I would remove that and replace with a plastic grease, i get mine from RS components, they sell a universal plastic grease......

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Martin Dew
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

Squeeky sound on my Elmo GS-1200
st1200 belts /service manual

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor